Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: NIKASIL COATING  (Read 9421 times)

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
NIKASIL COATING
« on: April 28, 2003, 06:13:00 PM »
Anyone hear of nikasil coating peeling off of cyliders?I built a 1429 mtr put 800 miles on it
lost compression between 2&3 I figured head gasket failed (HP & did not let go) but upon disassembly I found
coating coming off the inside & outside walls
(l to r) off 2,3 w/hole at top of cylinder between
& starting on #4 W/no signs of detination on pistons.Just broke the lip between the intake valve relief & top ringland were the coating was getting caught between the top (side) of piston &
wall.No marking on the piston skirts at all. #1
was not affected at all & piston looks perfect.millenium tech. did the work I will be sending back to them & hopefully they stand by it.anyone else hear of instances like this?Opinions?

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 10:11:00 PM »
profesional opinions?  

THEMOTORHEAD

NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
NO NEVER SEEN IT HAPPEN
SUCKS ASS  

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 10:38:00 PM »
FOR SURE!! SUCKS AASS! THANKS FOR REPLY  

Offline ihearvoicesuk

• Rider
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 02:52:00 PM »
only on 2 stroke stuff ....usually when done 2 thin then machined 2 much due 2 faulty machining / aka..crap machinist....just what ive seen.  
go away you are boring me now

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 12:43:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by fasbus:
Anyone hear of nikasil coating peeling off of cyliders?I built a 1429 mtr put 800 miles on it
lost compression between 2&3 I figured head gasket failed (HP & did not let go) but upon disassembly I found
coating coming off the inside & outside walls
(l to r) off 2,3 w/hole at top of cylinder between
& starting on #4 W/no signs of detination on pistons.Just broke the lip between the intake valve relief & top ringland were the coating was getting caught between the top (side) of piston &
wall.No marking on the piston skirts at all. #1
was not affected at all & piston looks perfect.millenium tech. did the work I will be sending back to them & hopefully they stand by it.anyone else hear of instances like this?Opinions?

Plating is not the first problem, I see this every now and then, customer builds engine with top quality parts, tunes it half ass runs it awhile and it lets go, tears it apart, blames plater that the plating came off and then the piston ring land lifted.......Poor tuning started it I am sure...would like to see it..Land ligted, piece cam off of the piston and started knocking around and THEN the plating came off...

Send your pistons ALL of them and I will let you and the rest of the board members know what REALLY happened.

I would want all four pistons, pins, rings, and ALL of the spark plugs that you ran at the time of the " Plating " failure.

Good luck,

John  Noonan

QUICKTURBO@AOL.COM
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

THEMOTORHEAD

NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 08:01:00 AM »
obviously it detinated
since the lip came off the piston

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 10:25:00 PM »
How can you be so sure that it was not plating failure w/out seeing it first.Is it not possible
to have plating failure & have plating come off cylinder walls & cause excessive friction between
top ring land & top of piston(which could break piston at valve relief).Its a good thing we had
60 thou. clearance (pist. to head)w/85mm flat tops & the head cleaned up only removing three thou.I am not bashing j.e. or mill. tech. in fact I think they are top notch which would make me think they will look at the stuff before coming
to a conclusion.The motor is back together already
using J.E. pistons & MILL. TECH. bore & plate.I will be sending back to MILL. TECH. for Chris to look at.Oh & the a/f was in the 12.5/1 range on a/f gauge although did not make it to the dyno but I will post dyno graph. after we put some break in miles on new motor.

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 11:31:00 PM »
Not enough or no ring gap will peel cylinder walls.
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

THEMOTORHEAD

NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 09:48:00 AM »
sorry it coulda just been lean and melted shit

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »
Stand up people at millennium tech. are standing
behind there product.In my opinion I believe they
know as much as you strive for PERFECT QUALITY CONTROL none can be 100% all of the time.One could only hope that everyone we do business w/would have these quality ethics.  

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 10:08:00 PM »

Offline BUGSY

• Post Whore
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline JonReed

• Post Master
  • The better stuff.
    • Sport Chrome
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2003, 01:44:00 PM »
happened on a bmw i had a few years back, took it to the dealer, they ran a test, i got a new motor at no charge.

Offline bigabusa

• Rider
    • http://www.tts-performance.com
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2003, 03:56:00 PM »
fasbus 85mm on a stock block is asking for trouble, 3mm between bores on a cast block is just to thin. I have a SBM 85mm billet block and you can see gas burning past the rings at the same place yours blow. The bore just flexes between the cylinders on the under cylinder pressure and the plating has no option but flake off. looks like yours has a fair helping of detonation to help it along.

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2003, 10:09:00 PM »
Yeah,I have since went to 84mm w/stock block will
see how that works out.I guess your looking above
the ring land were piston is broke at valve relief
,I tried to take detailed pictures of ringlands
but pictures up close of pistons dont come out.In person the rings still fit in lands perfect except where coating got caught between & ripped
relief.Compression was at 13.5 w/pump gas & 2 degrees retarded timing w/ air/fuel 12/7.1 .MILLENIUM waranted them & couldnt say exactley what caused it.

Offline SFO

• Apprentice Post Whore
NIKASIL COATING
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2003, 01:28:00 PM »
I have had some Millenium plated 97mm yz-f cylinders that had plating issues about three years ago. What a mess, not to mention the pissed off customers. I switched to US Chrome and haven't had any problems since.
I think that Millenium has gotten better since then but US Chrome has been doing a great job for me.