Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: looks like a rebuild. Suggestions please  (Read 7798 times)

Offline MidnightBusainSD

• Rider
looks like a rebuild. Suggestions please
« on: August 18, 2003, 01:07:00 PM »
Well after haveing a nice 4000 mile trip on my busa i arrive in Rapid City SD in the evening as my and a friend head outta a gas station my bike begins to chatter and bang.    So now i'm stuck in a perdicamet he wants to tear down the motor for sure to find out but if he dose that i'd just so do a over boar kit on the bike but he dosen't know if he wants to tackle that kinda task so now i'm left i plan to just retreave *spelling* my bike and look for someone to build it over the winter months but i'm not to knowledgeble on motors     so if i spun a main bearing or a rod will my block and such be salvageble to do an over boar kit or am i looking at haveing to get a new motor? If i can use this block i was thinking of doing a 1397 kit along with gettin the head port and polished along with cams i guess my next question is how much HP will i see with this setup as for cams i have no clue yet what i would get i haven't even looked into i had plans for a small turbo setup before this happened. any and all knowledge and advice is greatly welcome and appriceated on this matter and as for cost i'd like to keep it under 8000 cause if it's gona be more then that i feel i just as well buy a new bike thank you  
2002 Midnight falcon edition 1360 boar courtesy of Spaz *in progress* HMF Dual high mount exhaust, Custom painted Beserk theme *in Process*, RC componet wheels, Clear signals,Custom Digital Gauges *in process*

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 01:46:00 PM »
You could probably get the turbo as some of the builders change the pistons, etc. as part of the turbo install.  Check around, it might be a good excuse.

Offline Redline

• Restricted
  • Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 04:39:00 PM »
As long as you caught it early, you'll be okay on the cylinder.  Any minor damage would be corrected during the cylinder bore.  I'm with you, if you have to tear it down, you might as well make it better.

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 07:23:00 PM »
Depending the specifics, you will more than likely need new rods, probably a crank and possibly cases. It sounds like a spun rod bearing and if you hear the problem you have not caught it early. Catching it early would involve detecting the problem before it becomes audible, either by noticing a decrease in MPH when racing or finding suspicious materials in the engine oil.

Offline MidnightBusainSD

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »
Well damage to the case i'm hopeing not for but that could be inevitable if it comes to that i don't know if it will be cost effect for my to try and fix it or just buy another bike then if not then i wana go forward with the over boar i'm looking for more power but nothing hella monsterous looking in the 200 to 225 off the motor i was wondering if the 1397 kit with port polished heads and cams? or what over boar would i have to go with? and when i start going to big will i have heating problems cause i still ride the bike alot around town and alotta highway to but not big at the strip yet i was thinking of adding a 25 to 35 shot nos on top of the 200 to 225 that i would like to get outta the motor as for doing the turbo route i'd like to do but i think it would cost me more then doing the over boar and the small nos shot cause i still like taking the bike out and taking trips so i would like to keep fuel econmy to something decent i have the 17 42 tooth setup on it now and on my trip across the western us i was gettin around 32 to 38 depending on how hard i rode the bike most of the time crusing at about 80 so i also thought about doing the higher gears for 5th and 6th in the bike also so i can keep a the lower gearing i have now for when i have the little punks on 1000,s that wana race me but then have alittle better milage when i get to cruising down the road. well mabey with this description you all will know more what i want am i thinking right or would it be cheaper to buy another bike and slap a turbo on it? thanks
2002 Midnight falcon edition 1360 boar courtesy of Spaz *in progress* HMF Dual high mount exhaust, Custom painted Beserk theme *in Process*, RC componet wheels, Clear signals,Custom Digital Gauges *in process*

Offline MidnightBusainSD

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
ANd Dark Falcon i know it woulda been nice to have caught it sooner i had the oil changed before i left for the trip by the suzuki dealer and they never gave me a heads up on anything so i assumed all was fine granted i put 4000 miles on in a less then 2 week perioud and a couple days of 100 degree weather and riding at about 80 though the temp gauge never got hott on the bike but the last day i rode it was about 110 and i was pushing the bike hard to make it across montana since i had to stop along the way that day and have a tire installed which put me 3 hours behind so it may be my own error for pushing the bike that hard in the heat the only thing i did notice that day was when i stopped for gas once when it idled the oil light came on i suppose that was my warning sign but when i reved the bike and rode it. it was never on so i chose to ignore it till i got back home and then have it looked at     i probly only have myself to blame on this then

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 08:10:00 PM »
A good 1397 will yield around 205, while a great one will produce around 215. If you want to avoid future problems, then avoid strokers. Spray a 1397. As far as parts go, keep an eye out for cranks and cases.

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 08:11:00 PM »
Do a turbo!!!

Offline MidnightBusainSD

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 08:14:00 PM »
Thanks Dark falcon, on the overboars do you buy new cylinder cases or is the block sent in and bored out? and what else is out there for over boars besides the 1397? or dose this one sound best suited for what i wana do? considering i am concerned with the heating issues  i guess the next thing is line is who makes the kits and where do i get them from? and i rember seeing the higher gear ratio for 5th and 6th but can't rember where for sure
thanks again all  

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 08:47:00 PM »
The 1397 is reliable and relatively inexpensive; pistons and an exchange block will cost around 950. A Muzzy big bock, or 1464 which is 4mm over, runs 2800 and includes pistons, rings and gaskets. Not worth it. My .02

Offline MidnightBusainSD

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 08:58:00 PM »
Alright then that sounds good what about the Nos aplication though i looking at that for just the extra kicker cause of to many smart asses around here on 1000's what compresion ratio would i be best suited for the 1397 and how big a shot could i go i don't wana hit the Nos and go wheelie over backwards granted i weigh 300 so i have to do alittle coaxing to get the bike up already  

Offline MidnightBusainSD

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 03:04:00 PM »
Well i talked to suzki dealer today since well worse case scenario is i'd have to buy either a new crank or get a case so with these prices i hope the lesser of the 2 evils i shall have to get is a crank which i have seen used on ebay but the guy there tells me there diffrent from each year so am i gona have to get a specifically 02 crank or crank case to do this job or is he tring to fill me full of it?

oh and here is the prices he qouted me
$915 for a new crank    
$1604.12 for a new crank case                    
so as you can imagein i'm really hopeing it's the crank    

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »
Unless it is under warranty, and you have to use a Suzuki dealer, have whomever is going to do the engine/turbo work for you do the teardown as it would have to be torn down to do a build up and you can save on labor that way.

Offline REDHED

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »
The busa is a plain bearing motor right? So why cant you get your crank ground and run oversize bearings? I think suzuki offers oversize bearings and there is a place in Minneapolis called crankshaft supply that can do the grinding and they do excellent work.

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 06:18:00 PM »
Worst case scenario is both crank and cases; I have seen it. If it is just the crank, it will more than likely be a rod journal; if it is not too bad, it can be repaired. As I recall APE, offers these services and it reasonable in comparison to replacement costs. And while it is there, at least get it balanced, maybe lightened and certainly polished.

Offline MidnightBusainSD

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2003, 07:36:00 PM »
Yeah i already check in on the warranty bit and thats a no go it ran out exactly a month prior to the incedent so will have to see what lays ahead with the motor the place i plan to take it to in minneapolis has treated me well before and has done some good work that i have heard about and he has been very helpful and paitent with me since i will not have the funds to do the project till at least Dec he said i could bring the bike there and have it stored until that time so i don;t have to worry about trying to bring it up in crappy weather which i really appricate that.

So far this is what i plan to do if my case and crank are salvagble won't know this till dec though so after doing alittle resarch and talking granted there is no true specifics 1397 kit, with complete headwork unsure if i will do bigger valves or not, cams kind unknown right now, NoS shot size unknown but no more then 50 i feel, and adding higher gear ratios in 5th and 6th i know there out there can someone give me the link to a site that has them, and keep the 17 42 sproket. I think with this setup i can have something very reliable and quick along with decent fuel econmy in the 35mpg+ range at an average of 80mph i hope any comments? please and thank you again  

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2003, 07:40:00 PM »
Just run the OD 6th gear - a number of posts some time ago indicated that some people had trouble with the OD 5th gear.

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2003, 07:44:00 PM »
You will not need the big valves; save the money. Port, match and blend......maybe a radius valve job.