Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: deck height question -GSXR.. engine builders?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Blortch

• Rider
deck height question -GSXR.. engine builders?
« on: August 30, 2003, 04:31:00 AM »
Need some advice on setting the piston to cylinder head clearance on a 85mm GSXR motor that I'm setting up with J&E 9-1 turbo pistons.  To get the suggested .035 - .040 cylinder to head clearance that I need, I have to shim the cylinder base to sink the piston .005 in the hole (head gasket is .032).  The new pistons have a taller compression height (.998) than the ones that I'm removing (.990), and the only way I can achieve the proper cylinder height is to leave the base gasket out completely.  I'd prefer to use a gasket under the cylinder base as I've never tried running a motor without one, although I've heard of people doing it.  So, what's my best bet?  Use a .005 base gasket (the thinnest available for this motor) and have the piston end up a few thousandths low in the cylinder and sacrifice the "squish" band some, or set the pistons at the correct height by leaving the cylinder base gasket out completely and (IMHO) run the risk of oil seepage.  Any knowledgable help will be greatly appreciated.
"and another thing.. when I gun the engine I want the whole world to think it's coming to an end."  
        Homer Simpson

Offline dragzooks@indy

• Post Master
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »
no problem leaving it out (done it countless times)

just use a good sealer between the case and cylinder

gaskacinch is kinda OK
yamabond will SEAL better
or i like to use suzuki bond 1207b cause it cleans up and applys less messy and seals well too

keep that piston to head clearance more towards the .040"
it will "kiss" the head at .035" and pound the rod bearings out as it is doing so

Offline Blortch

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 03:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  To be honest I was hoping I could get away without using a .005 base gasket.  I've used them before and they're miserable to work with because they're so damn thin.  Again, many thanks..
"and another thing.. when I gun the engine I want the whole world to think it's coming to an end."  
        Homer Simpson