Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Leaded vs Unleaded  (Read 9258 times)

Offline CID

• Universal Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« on: June 26, 2003, 08:07:00 AM »
What are the goods and bads of putting leaded gas into the Busa?

They sell 110 leaded NUTEC at the road course track and people 'say' they love it, but what's it doing to the engine.....anything?

Offline Chocolate City

• Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 09:33:00 AM »
Not trying to be funny but what # Nutec is that? I use special 5 and it's only 90 octane. Nutec is an oxygenated fuel but it is not high octane. Not sure about long term effects but it does clean out the fuel system. How much do they sell it for at the roadrace track you go to? Oh yeah do they sell race "take-off" tires there also?  
FL Boys

Offline CID

• Universal Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 09:44:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Chocolate City:
Not trying to be funny but what # Nutec is that? I use special 5 and it's only 90 octane. Nutec is an oxygenated fuel but it is not high octane. Not sure about long term effects but it does clean out the fuel system. How much do they sell it for at the roadrace track you go to? Oh yeah do they sell race "take-off" tires there also?  

The 110 is 6 bucks a gallon at Jennings. Not sure what number it is or even where to get it outside the track. I saw the 5 gallon Nutec cans sitting beside the main tank that they were gassing from, so I could be wrong and it might be something else.

If you're looking for take offs, contact Dick at Full Spectrum Racing here in Orlando. He's got em' and they're fairly cheap.

Offline Chocolate City

• Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 10:14:00 AM »
Yeah I heard about getting them from full spectrum, just looking for a more direct route. Do you have to bring your own 5 gallon container and they fill it, or do they have the sealed 5 gallon containers?
FL Boys

Offline Chocolate City

• Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 10:18:00 AM »
Oh yeah I almost forgot what's Full Spectrum's phone #. I had it here somewhere  
FL Boys

Offline Chocolate City

• Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »
Ok just checked their website: Special 5- 92 octane, GP-2+ 110 octane, 112+ 110 octane
FL Boys

Offline CID

• Universal Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 11:17:00 PM »
quote:
Yeah I heard about getting them from full spectrum, just looking for a more direct route. Do you have to bring your own 5 gallon container and they fill it, or do they have the sealed 5 gallon containers?

They had the 5 gallon sealed containers there..I think they were marked at 30 bucks a pop so no savings there.

407-260-5883 is full sprectrum

As far as direct route, I'm pretty sure the dude (forget his name..wanna say Ken) that does the tires at the track would make you a deal...I just didn't see the take offs on display. I think he may even be selling them to Dick. I remember a conversation something like that...not sure.

Offline Chocolate City

• Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 02:00:00 PM »
Hey CID how often do they run at this track? When you go again check and see which nutec fuel they are selling if you don't mind. 5 gallons of nutec fuel here is quite a bit more than 6.00 a gallon. It might be well worth my while to make a trip there on their next track day. I could pick up some fuel and tires all in one shot  
FL Boys

Offline CID

• Universal Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »
quote:
Hey CID how often do they run at this track? When you go again check and see which nutec fuel they are selling if you don't mind. 5 gallons of nutec fuel here is quite a bit more than 6.00 a gallon. It might be well worth my while to make a trip there on their next track day. I could pick up some fuel and tires all in one shot  

You really can't beat his prices on tires and he mounts and balances them right there while you wait. (You gotta pull em off the bike though)

The track is open Saturday through Monday. Check out  JenningsGP for more info on events.  (You might even see a pic of two of my busa if you go to the picture section....just look for the only blue busa)  

I'm going up Saturday. I'll check out the price on the 5 gallon for ya and let you know here.  

Offline Chocolate City

• Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »
Thanks CID for the help  
FL Boys

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 09:06:00 PM »
Some guys from Jax were at Jennings las Sat....

Offline KILRBUSA

• Restricted
  • Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2003, 01:51:00 AM »
Nutec isn't that cheap!!!....they are selling either VP or sunco 110- or 112 octane race fuel...like c12 or cam2 blue---your not gonna get nutec for $6 a gallon!!!

If your looking for a inexpensive fuel comparable to nutec special 5($75 5 gal) try the VP Ultimate4($40 5 gal) and if your looking for the higher octane GP2, try the VP MXRO1.

Offline joequantum

• Apprentice Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2003, 08:01:00 PM »
I'm a new owner of a 2003 Hayabusa - great bike! I'm not an engine builder, but have been exposed to the gasoline issues in racing. After a point, dictated by engine parameters (compression ratio, cam timing, etc.) higher octane will not create more hp. The octane retards the explosion thus allowing the engine to work with more agressive parameters - up to a point, which varies with the engine. You should check with an engine builder, but you may just be throwing money away if you can't take advantage of the additional octane rating.

On oxygenated gasoline, I'm familiar with the additive called toulene. This basically adds extra oxygen into the mix and creates a better gasoline explosion in the cylinders due to more efficient burning (and ability to take a richer gasoline charge). On formula ford engines, it adds around 5%. However, be very carefull with this stuff as it is very corrosive and causes a good deal of wear on the engine upper end.

The only item I know of is that running leaded gas in a newer engine burns out cats, which isn't a problem for us. The opposite (unleaded in an old engine) will eventually wear away the valve seals as they were designed for the softer burning leaded gasoline.

Offline rrohrich

• New User!
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2003, 11:38:00 PM »
quote:
On oxygenated gasoline, I'm familiar with the additive called toulene. This basically adds extra oxygen into the mix and creates a better gasoline explosion in the cylinders due to more efficient burning (and ability to take a richer gasoline charge). On formula ford engines, it adds around 5%.
Toluene is an aromatic hydrocarbon composed of a benzene ring with a methyl radical attached but no oxygen molecule. The molecular formula for toluene is C7H8, but it can also be written as C6H5CH3. As you can see there is no oxygen attached.        

Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE),and ethyl tert-butyl ether (ETBE)are the most common oxygenates used in race fuel at the moment but occasionally you'll see  tert-amyl methyl ether (TAME), and diisopropyl ether (DIPE).

They seem to be adding isoprene to some of the Nutec fuels along with MTBE, but I haven't seen a full mass spec on it so I don't know in what percentages.

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2003, 08:16:00 AM »

Good to see someone who knows some chemistry on the board.
I can't imagine why someone would add a monomer like isoprene to gas though.
Sounds like a great way to gum up the works!

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2003, 03:02:00 PM »
I think you'll find that it is the valve seats and not the seals that running unleaded in an early engine will damage.  The lead acted as a "cushion".

Offline rrohrich

• New User!
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2003, 10:06:00 AM »
If anyone is interested here's what these components look like in graphic form.

Benzene    

Toluene    

MTBE    

You can see how similar the structures of Benzene and Toluene are, and notice the oxygen attached in the MTBE graphic.

There is more info on the subject here

http://www.ericgorr.com/techarticles/Fuel_Basics.htm
http://www.ericgorr.com/techarticles/fuel_terminology.htm

Rich Rohrich

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2003, 12:11:00 PM »
Isn't toluene a large component of gasoline????????  Seems like I read that somewhere.  

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2003, 12:18:00 PM »
Ring compounds like benzene and toluene are high octane and are a significant component of high octane gas.  
Benzene is minimized because it is a carcinogen but modern refineries can't make gas with less than 1-2% benzene.
Toluene is good high octane fuel.
It is also what glue sniffers crave.
Turboed F1 cars ran on fuels that were primarily benzene and toluene.
Due to the benzene in gas..you would need a full chemical suit to handle it legally...if it wasn't excluded from regs on carcinogens.

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2003, 12:53:00 PM »
Toluene is also a large component in most of the carburetor and FI cleaners.  Cheaper just to get the "real stuff" at the paint store and run about a pint per tank.

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2003, 01:09:00 PM »
It is the solvent for the aliphatic alkanolamine that is the real ingredient in injector and intake valve cleaners.

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2003, 04:17:00 PM »
Being a poor, simple ex-trash hauler - is that part of Toluene or something else??????  

Offline ihearvoicesuk

• Rider
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2003, 09:59:00 AM »
mmmmmm...i like the one with the red ping-pong ball- it looks a bit like a space ship  
go away you are boring me now

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
Leaded vs Unleaded
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2003, 12:41:00 PM »
The real ingredient in injector cleaner is a pretty complex organic molecule.
Chevron Texaco holds the patents for the best stuff and they market under the name Techron.
Lotsa companies buy it and relabel it.
Dow Chemical makes the key ingredient.
I helped design the plant.
A whiff of petrochemicals in the morning and I get all misty.