Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: WTK Engine thumping sound?  (Read 5188 times)

Offline dale956

• Apprentice Post Whore
WTK Engine thumping sound?
« on: July 28, 2003, 08:19:00 AM »
I have an 02 that is stock. It has 1000 mi and when idling it has a slight thumping sound that can be felt through the bars. Is this common?

Offline VegasDude

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »
Pull the clutch in and see if that goes away. If it does problem solved..........
2008 Busa
2007 Ducati 999S
2006 BMW K1200S

Offline dale956

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 07:32:00 PM »
I tried that and it still does it. It is eratic , not a rhythmic thing.

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 09:15:00 AM »
I'd still bet it's the clutch
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

Offline pat-luvv

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »
Hey ! I have the same thing ... only when engine is hot ... like after 10-15 min. ride... it's a knocking sound, feeling it in handlebar... started at about 600 miles on mine... if I make the engine rush a bit while on first gear ( and holding the front brake ) the noise is gone, so it's not a connecting rod for sure. and it's a loud noise, so no cam-chain thing... I think it's a crank-shaft bearing, or, it's due to the 5 degree timing delay ( that is maybe higher on mine...) Anyone saw that ?????????
They call me "busa-love" ... and I love it !

Offline Skip

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 07:23:00 AM »
Hi Gang!
I, too, have this noise, almost exactly as described above.  I can put the machine in low, bring the engine up to about 2000 RPM, hold the front break and ease the clutch out a bit where there is some "pull."  The noise then goes away.  My bike does have the TRE.  What say, Gang?  Your thoughts...?
Thanks!
Joe "Skip" Morris
2002, Hayabusa, TRE, Yellow Box, Stuff hole in hump.

Offline pat-luvv

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »
I'm still looking into it !! even ,I did show the bike to a suzuki rep., he told me there is no need to worry, it's not a "big' sound... ( as of now ), but to be honnest guys, I work in a bike dealership,in montreal area ( canada ), and we never heard that kind of noise b-4. We thought it may be a timing problem, as we all now, the timing is set 5 deg. off under 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear ( and 4th I think )... so, I thought of doing the "tre" modification... to know if the timing is the real thing, or, if it's inside the engine somewhere... I'm gonna look at the clutch ( inside ) mecanism next week... so follow this !! if not the timing, if not the clutch... it's a crankshaft bearing for sure.....  cuz the sound is very low frequency. See ya !

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003, 11:16:00 PM »
chances of it being a crank bearing are pretty damn slim! it's your clutch backlash, or it's the camchain tensioner. the same noise happens in ALL BUSAS the camchain noise gets louder more pronounced before the tensioner clicks tighter, and the clutch tapping is normal unless it gets bad, then it could be bolts inside the clutch backing out, messed up plates, or something like that. do a search in gen discussion about an engine tap or engine noise or something like that... or cam chain tensioner maybe, but I KNOW it's out there i've seen the posts. I posted in some of them.

PS this post should probably be in gen discussion, or help. i think by ALL MOTOR they mean all motor drag racing  
Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6 
The GTO's like a fine woman in a black dress at a fancy party. The WS6 is like the hot chick in the hiked up miniskirt at the nightclub. So what do you want? Refined, or nasty?

Offline pat-luvv

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »
ok, squirts... did not know about "motor" talk... thanks ! for the clutch, it's my next step. this week for sure. I'm gonna look into it. I thought about crank bearing cuz the noise frequency is so low ...!  but timing chain problem is resolved in 2003 models. So I don't think it might be there. Anyways... I'll get back to you guys as soon as I get any news...  see ya !

Still love my busa !!

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2003, 11:42:00 PM »
the camchain PROBLEM was solved by changing the tensioner, but if it needs to be tightened and before the automatic tensioner tightens it... it will still clatter until it clicks tighter, in the new busas too.    

i'm going to tear my clutch apart here in about 10 minutes. i'll post what i find.
The GTO's like a fine woman in a black dress at a fancy party. The WS6 is like the hot chick in the hiked up miniskirt at the nightclub. So what do you want? Refined, or nasty?

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2003, 05:05:00 PM »
took the clutch apart and nothing is wrong with it. put every plate on a flat piece of glass and tapped them all the way around to check for warped plates. a few plates were VERY slightly warped. some of the plates seemed discolored, not sure if that's anything, probably not.

Offline pat-luvv

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2003, 09:42:00 PM »
did install my own "tre" with switch mode ( I built it myself! ) and it works just fine !!  timing is now set to "o", but my noise is still there !!  I spoke with a guy from next town, he has the same problem...  he really thinks it's with the clutch, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense! cuz if I hold rpm at about 2000, drop the clutch a little bit while engaged in first... the noise goes away...     to follow this week guys...    see ya !

Offline Red

• Post Master
    • http://www.revival.tv
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2003, 08:58:00 PM »
I thought the 2002 & up clutches didn't need a mod.

What do you do to eliminate this noise ?

New busa's have a weak clutch still ?

Red,      
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003 NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004 #3, 2005, & 2006 NMRA Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro. St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 MDRA Super Streetbike Champion !