Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Carpenter Race Engines  (Read 20329 times)

Offline 03 silvergray

• New User!
Carpenter Race Engines
« on: January 01, 2004, 10:18:00 PM »
Hello everyone, I was checking out the board and it %#@^%$ rocks!!!! My first post is about engine mods. I noticed alot of info on Carpenter race engines. What do the members of this board think of carpenter, I live in jersey and would consider going to him for engine work (most likely his 210 HP program. please let me know if its worth it. More importantly if his quality of work is good or not. Any info will be apprieciated thanks
It's never just "a bolt-on"

THEMOTORHEAD

Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 10:44:00 PM »
bob does nice work
i know a guy named steve does busas up there too
either 1 does good work
tell em i sent ya  

THEMOTORHEAD

Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »
well tell

THEMOTORHEAD

Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 01:16:00 AM »
well?

Offline BUGSY

• Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 04:49:00 AM »

Offline SlammedStance

• Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 04:59:00 AM »
Bob builds the most power on a busa per cc period!
it shows at the track as well as the dyno.Unlike some other builders down south who build dyno motors.for the 210 package you need a hmf or bde pipe and pc3. otherwise ya wont get it.
AKA SlammedStance

Offline 03 silvergray

• New User!
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »
thanks alot fellas,I appriciate all the quick feed back Ill have to take a trip up there soon.
It's never just "a bolt-on"

Offline BUSA-KY

• Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »
I'd go to Carpenter if he is that close to you ............if you do have a problem then it ain't like you got to send it or take it across country.........  
"LEARN HOW !!!.............even if you don't do it , its good to know how its done"

Offline SlammedStance

• Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by SPAZ:
Talk to KWS about Carpenter.  I ahve seen his 200hp package put out 184hp. Just my two cents.

spaz tell all the story the dude had a old micron pipe that looses power. The guy you are referring to also told me he loves the engine says it feels great. so the only one complaining about this motor time and time again is you.
AKA SlammedStance

suzuki4life

Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by SlammedStance:
quote:
Originally posted by SPAZ:
Talk to KWS about Carpenter.  I ahve seen his 200hp package put out 184hp. Just my two cents.

spaz tell all the story the dude had a old micron pipe that looses power. The guy you are referring to also told me he loves the engine says it feels great. so the only one complaining about this motor time and time again is you.
that was me telling that story.
guy still has the micron and Carpenter still needs to change his claims.

Claim was ride in ride out with 200 hp for $2300. Didn't mention the decent pipe or fuel module needed to achieve these numbers. That in itself makes Carpenter a crook for false advertisement no matter if his customers support him or not.

I've seen carpenter built motors do well at the track, I HAVE NEVER HEARD THEM PRODUCE THE POWER HE CLAIMS!

But this is an old broken record, he builds bikes that go fast. I guess that is the point. I'm just saying he should drop his hp numbers till he can put every build's hp requirements in writing prior to build time and guarantee them their money back if he doesn't reach his claims. BTW I have a pretty worn Busa sitting if he wants to put that claim in writing. No excuses when he hands me my cash back and I want EVERYTHING he wants to do to the bike in writing prior to touching it. When he does every trick he knows and can still only muster 199hp, I'll be grinning and ready to tell him "told ya so". BTW I remember Bob telling me personally he could get 190hp through stock exhaust. I'd like to see that one in writing too.

Offline phatnphast

• Rider
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »
MY .02.I HAVE A CARPENTER SETUP NOW AND IM GETTING READY TO TAKE IT OUT THIS WEEKEND SALING THE PISTONS,CYLINDER AND CAMS.REPLACING IT WITH A BIGGER CARPENTER SET UP   .THE BIKE DID NOT MAKE THE #'S ON THE DYNO THAT HE SAID BUT ON THE STREET AND AT THE TRACK IT WAS   .AND ONE THING IM LEARNING IS THAT EVERYBODYS DYNO READS DIFFERENT EVERY MOTOR DIFFERENT,CAN HAVE SAME EXACT MODS AND THEY BOTH HAVE DIFFERENT #'S.HIGHER LOWER,OR AT SEA LEVAL.ALL IM SAYING IS NOW I THINK LOOK AT THE DYNO TO HELP GET THE BIKE TUNED RT AIR/FUEL RT.SEE IF THE MOTOR IS MAKING POWER ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE POWER BAND NO FLAT SPOTS.BUT I SAID ALL OF THAT TO SAY THIS,THE POWER IS THERE.I WAS GOING 142MPH WITH HEAD AND CAMS AND I WEIGH 320LBS STOCK WHEELBASE.I THINK THATS :kickass:NOW TIME FOR SOME BIG HP   .JUST MY 2CENTS FROM A ROOKIE STREET/DRAG RACER.  

3'S

Offline SlammedStance

• Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »
Nowhere does it say that you will leave there with 200 hp. it says he has done it.When ya call or are there he tells you what to expect.you cannot guarantee hp when someone can bring in a junk bike.
Spaz
yes every customer gets the same quality work. prob more so than any other builder. because the cnc does it all. his hands do not touch the head after it is done.
Anyone that says i dont have this or that need to put some money up. i will break it down right at the track. Ya might wanna bet with me.It is not my fault some people cant ride or set up a bike.
I currentl have a 1429 stock valves
AKA SlammedStance

Offline BD

• Rider
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »
I have to agree with Spaz on this.  I think some people definately get better attention to detail at his place.  I hear Carpenter makes some pretty good power.  However, I saw a horror story come out of his place a few years back on an oil cooled gsxr.

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 03:35:00 PM »
I disagree I have a friend that called there (having done no business in the past) and he talked to Bob personally who recommended a set-up to him and then overnighted to get it to him the next day. That is good sevice IMO.  
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

suzuki4life

Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 03:35:00 PM »
quote:
Nowhere does it say that you will leave there with 200 hp.

SAYS IT RIGHT HERE
http://www.carpenterracing.com/projects.htm#200hp_busa

when you offer a "package" you are offering to duplicate what you have done.

suzuki4life

Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Busa for hire:
I disagree I have a friend that called there (having done no business in the past) and he talked to Bob personally who recommended a set-up to him and then overnighted to get it to him the next day. That is good sevice IMO.  

big deal, he paid out the ass for overnight service. I can do that too if I'm selling something. Get your wallet ready.

Offline BD

• Rider
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »
Let me correct myself.  After re-reading my post it does not come out well.  I don't know anything about Spaz's business.  My comments about attention to detail and the horror story was with Carpenter.

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »
quote:
Nowhere does it say that you will leave there with 200 hp. it says he has done it.When ya call or are there he tells you what to expect.you cannot guarantee hp when someone can bring in a junk bike.

You are right. It probably depends upon several factors, but what does he tell the typical prospective customer?

Offline SLEEPERBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by suzuki4life:
BTW I remember Bob telling me personally he could get 190hp through stock exhaust. I'd like to see that one in writing too.

My JohnnyCheese built, Carpenter headed 1397 made 189 thru the stock exhaust, on pump gas, and 196.7 on Nutec.        

208.6mph/ Texas Mile. 10/24/2010

Offline SlammedStance

• Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »
he tells them that he has gotten blank hp on this and that with this and that. He showed me dynoes the first time i went in there. He did not know me at all.I told him i wanted to go over 150 thru the 1/4 he told me what i needed. i went 155 i was happy. there have been times i asked if i needed this part or that part he tells me no if i dont. and he could have made money from that part. I like the honesty
AKA SlammedStance

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2004, 06:34:00 PM »
You appear to enjoy much credibility and it is neat that you have found a builder that does well by and one that you can trust.

Offline BUSA-KY

• Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »
I just like to do my own building ....................kinda like store bought and home made ............plus who do you turn to if ya have a simple problem if someone elses does it ..............just some thing to think about !!!  ..............no disrespect at all
"LEARN HOW !!!.............even if you don't do it , its good to know how its done"

Offline E. Canada

• Rider
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
quote:
Bob builds the most power on a busa per cc period!
it shows at the track as well as the dyno.Unlike some other builders down south who build dyno motors.for the 210 package you need a hmf or bde pipe and pc3. otherwise ya wont get it.

In my opinion there are several good builders in the country...bob is probably one of them.  I highly doubt that he makes more hp than anyone else!!!  Thats a big claim.  I will tell you I have dynoed one of his 1397's and it made 217hp.  I then rebuilt it with his own parts, my numbers, my cams, and I had his head finished...it made 225hp on the same dyno.  
BTW, we've been doing the 200hp stock piston motors out here in the midwest for years.
just your average joe

Offline Gixxer1300r

• Mad Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2004, 10:15:00 PM »
I know a honest, and very dependable engine builder and tuner. he is in the ohio area. You might have heard of him
Dennis Clanton
16918 Westdale
Cleveland, OH 44125
USA

Guy builds great power,builds customs, Best on the east coast if you need a turbo system.

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
Carpenter Race Engines
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2004, 11:03:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by suzuki4life:
quote:
Originally posted by Busa for hire:
 I guess my point was my buddy had never bought anything from him and he personally took care of his needs. That's pretty cool IMO.
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.