Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: LED rims/spokes?  (Read 5008 times)

Offline SuperGrizz

• Mad Post Whore
  • Boost = Good
    • California Superbikes
LED rims/spokes?
« on: December 05, 2003, 10:46:00 PM »
So coming back from Sacto a few weeks ago, me and my buddies saw a pair of R1's fly by us, and I noticed something incredible. They had what I assume to be LEDs attached to their spokes - one wrote "Yamaha" and the other guy just had a pattern going. They make these for bicycles (www.hokeyspokes.com), but I can't find them anywhere for motorcycles - anyone know where/what they're called? It looked awesome.

Grizz
HOME OF THE OG KANOOTER VALVE

The Rider Formerly Known as TurboGrizz
Now 400 hp Supercharged GSXR 1000 (plus a little juice)

Offline ICEMANN

• Mad Post Whore
  • How ya doin?
LED rims/spokes?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 07:15:00 PM »
Most of those types hang on/"STICK ON" the rims and cyntrifical force activates them.  Kinda the way the LED valve covers work.  With the force of your busa it will ultimatly fling those off and prolly kill someone.  Cute but not to smart.  Talk to Rhytm he is the "LED ON DA RYDE" guru.

Ive toyed with the hokeyspokes types before.  The batteries dont last long, you cant really use wires but the neat thing is with your palm or laptop you can write what ever you want.

ICE

jd

Offline RHYTHM

• Post Master
    • http://www.indepentconnection.org
LED rims/spokes?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 05:26:00 PM »
Yep yep soundz like they jerry rigged those LED valve lights to stick by applying some type of resin, epoxy I hope .  This would be the only way I could image for them to achieve putting the LEDs on the rims.

Offline Hyper

• Rider
LED rims/spokes?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 10:45:00 PM »
stay away from the valve stem cap type-they will tear your valve stem at high speed.

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
LED rims/spokes?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »
I tried those tyreflies. Good idea but shit product.  
Sandy fan!

Up to my neck in shit...standing on your shoulders.

THEMOTORHEAD

LED rims/spokes?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Hyper:
stay away from the valve stem cap type-they will tear your valve stem at high speed.

yup good way to die

Offline 1300R

• Post Whore
LED rims/spokes?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 08:01:00 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried those tyreflies. Good idea but shit product.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BlueCat, I just ordered a set. I was hoping to improve my visability on the way to work. I work the graveyard shift. What else can you tell me about this product? Any other suggestions?

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
LED rims/spokes?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »
Same reason I got 'em. I ride in the dark alot, especially during winter, and anything that increasing side on visability has to be looked at, right?

Mine turned up in the post from New Zealand, (only place I could get white ones). One didn't work, the other was perfect, (no problem, I only want one on the back wheel).

After a month, I noticed that it wouldn't turn off after some rides, but would right itself on other rides or if I screwed the top off and looked at it, (didn't do anything, just looked at it). Not a big problem, comes with lots of batteries and they're cheap to buy.

Then the flimsy piece of metal that provides the contact broke off, - that's why the other one wasn't working from new.

You can presumably repair them, but you'll be doing it every week one way or another if you ride as much as I do in the dark.

When they worked, they did their job. I could see people looking at the wheel going 'ohh,ahh', or 'what a dickhead', but hey, they notice you, they see you, they're not hitting you.

They are for teenage boy racers in hyped up cars looking to pull girls through their penis extentions, because they otherwise have no self-esteem.
Sandy fan!

Up to my neck in shit...standing on your shoulders.

Offline 1300R

• Post Whore
LED rims/spokes?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 10:12:00 PM »
Sounds like one thing after another! So have you been able to find anything else other than a blow torch? Not myself, but if I do I'll let you know.