Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: HELP WITH HARLAN SHIFT LIGHT INSTALL!!!  (Read 5750 times)

Offline N.SANE

• Rider
  • ANTI-SOCIAL
HELP WITH HARLAN SHIFT LIGHT INSTALL!!!
« on: January 20, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »
I WANT TO MOUNT THIS TONIGHT, BUT THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE MAINLY FOR ARE CAR. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT WIRES I NEED TO SLICE INTO.

THANKS
05' BUSA
WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline ScottinGA

• Rider
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »
See if this helps you any....

MAD POSTWHORE
Member # 220

Member Rated:
   posted February 25, 2003 11:31 AM                      
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used these:

Tach Signal = Yellow/Blue
12V = Orange/Green
Ground = Black/White

The pigtail on the light is long enough, just get you some bullet connectors between the harness and light so when you take the upper off you can just pull apart and not have to rewire every time.

Works good, Last long time!

Offline ATLbusa

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 05:09:00 AM »
Yep that was my post that is the harness going into the back of the gauges,  works great,  also set your cylinders to 2 not 4

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 06:10:00 AM »
yea If you don't set it to two cylinders it will never come on. Apparently the tach only requires a signal from two cylinders.
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

Offline len

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »
Setting it on 2 cyl has to do with the fact the Busa has a single fire ingnition. One spark every other rotation.(on compresion stroke only) where as most have a wasted spark on the exhaust stroke, So you have half as many triggers compaired to the older but more abundant dual fire systems. thats why you set it to 2. dodo
MY MOMMA TOLD ME I WAS SLOW!!! What did she mean ?

Offline N.SANE

• Rider
  • ANTI-SOCIAL
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »
THANK YOU ALL SOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!    

THIS BOARD KIX A$$$!!!!
05' BUSA
WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 08:20:00 PM »
I tried to wire mine up as explained above.  2 cyl. etc.  But, mine comes on at idle, then goes off when I rev it up.  Could not try the red line I set it too yet as I will wake up the town with this damn dump pipe.  Is something wrong here?

Thanks

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 08:40:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I tried to wire mine up as explained above.  2 cyl. etc.  But, mine comes on at idle, then goes off when I rev it up.  Could not try the red line I set it too yet as I will wake up the town with this damn dump pipe.  Is something wrong here?

Thanks

did you set it to a specified rpm? I think you have to pick the number of cylinders with one switch then the activation point with the other one. Set the rpms to 3,000 or so then you won't wake the neighbors and can test it. It should go on then off when you turn the bike on then it should stay on at anything over 3000. I remember that my buddy was having a problem with his but it was the set-up thast was wrong. is it flashing back the right info to you? (in the test mode) pay close attention to the set-up and you will get it.
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks, that's what I did.  And, it does work, it goes off at the RPM I set, BUT, it also stays on at idle.  That is the problem...  It is always on, sometimes flickers, at idle, goes off when you hit the gas then comes on at the specified RPMs...   ANYONE got an idea???

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »
Anyone?  

Offline BUSA-KY

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 02:48:00 PM »
green wire to..... yellow/Blue tracer------tach
Red.............orange/ Green tracer----12V source
Black.............Black/White-------Ground    

also be sure and set the shiftlite for  2 cylinders ............remember the busa ha sequential firing..........thats two pulses per revolution.........
hope this helps  
"LEARN HOW !!!.............even if you don't do it , its good to know how its done"

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 06:28:00 PM »
That is kinda how I have it hooked up.  The ground I have going to the frame and the positive hooked to the brown wire by headlights (the wire for the Euro models) which is positive with the ignition.  I do have two small LEDs hooked up to the same pos and neg. connection.  The green wire is correct as you state.

It is so strange since it does go light at the correct RPM, BUT, it stays on until about 1500 RPMs...  odd indeed!!!

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »
I hooked my harlan shift light up yesterday. After I switched it to 2 cylinders, it worked perfect!
Thanks for the help here!