Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Yag's turbo busa  (Read 30405 times)

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« on: January 19, 2004, 12:38:00 AM »
Well, I am in the middle of building my turbo busa, thought I would share with everyone here and introduce myself.  It's a velocity stage 2 system with ball bearing turbo and water injection, and I will be running it on a stock motor with spacers until I can afford pistons and rods next winter.  Here is a link to the simple little page I have with a few pics.

My turbo busa build... in progress

It's nothing special, but it's my baby, and I am having a lot of fun working on it and getting everything together.  BIG thanks to Hank for lending me a few tools to get the job done.

Intercooled MCXpress 58/12 twin entry power

Offline ScottinGA

• Rider
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 02:07:00 AM »
Nice pictorial....keep us posted!  

Offline cbriggs3

• Mad Post Whore
    • http://home.cfl.rr.com/suzukihayabusa/
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 06:51:00 AM »
Nice job Yag!

Is this your first Busa motor you pulled apart?  How easy was it for you?

Chris
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth overdoing." Oscar Wilde

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
Yep, first  busa motor for me.  It has been a piece of cake actually... I am ready to put it back together when my damn gaskets finally show up.  Something got messed with the shipping on them, and I don't have the parts I need to put the top end together yet.  Hopefully things will arrive today and I can get the motor back together and ready to degree the cams.

Offline cbriggs3

• Mad Post Whore
    • http://home.cfl.rr.com/suzukihayabusa/
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by yagmaster:
Yep, first  busa motor for me.  It has been a piece of cake actually... I am ready to put it back together when my damn gaskets finally show up.  Something got messed with the shipping on them, and I don't have the parts I need to put the top end together yet.  Hopefully things will arrive today and I can get the motor back together and ready to degree the cams.

Since I live so close to the Kaotic one, I probably will just have him build up my motor when I am ready.  Just seeing what it would be like if I did it myself.  Keep us updated, you may change my mind.  What are you doing to it?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth overdoing." Oscar Wilde

Offline Buzzard

• Rider
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »
Nice project ya working on yag!  Can't wait to see it finished.  

I'm in the Portland area also.  We'll have to get together some time with a few other local busa riders.   There's a good group of local guys and a couple of them have 12's.

I don't know what your plans are, but there's a few busas that drag race at Woodburn.  Last year cache and I raced on a regular basis and a couple others raced occasionally.  Two other guys I know of switched over to busas this winter,  so we will have at least four busas racing all the time now.  There's a few busas up in the Seattle area that we also race with from time to time.  Come on out to the track.  You'll have the quickest, highest HP busa there.  So far, the rest of us are running basically stock bikes, prepped for drag racing.

When ya get it running,  bring it over and we'll see if you can blow up my dyno...

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »
Sweet Buzzard!  I live in Canby, so I am only 10 miles or so from Woodburn.  I put about 12k miles on my bike this summer, and decided it was time to step up.  I have been on a couple of rides with the guys that always meet at starbucks downtown Portland, but I have yet to be to the track.  Shoot me your phone number... I would love to get in touch with some more locals with busas... so far I only know of one, Louie something or other... one of the starbucks crowd.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 11:14:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cbriggs3:
quote:

Since I live so close to the Kaotic one, I probably will just have him build up my motor when I am ready.  Just seeing what it would be like if I did it myself.  Keep us updated, you may change my mind.  What are you doing to it?
Just fitting the base spacer and thicker head gasket for now, no big mods yet.  Next summer, depending on the money situation, I am going to install some pistons and rods so I can crank the boost up to 24# or so.  Will also be getting a 0-6 arm, probably before next winter.

The master plan is get the above stuff, get the tranny undercut, get an air shifter, and *maybe* get 5th and 6th overdrive gears.

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 05:24:00 AM »
lucky you can afford that...

SuperDave

Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 06:36:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by TomSlick:

I'll second that nomination...serious coin, there!  

THEMOTORHEAD

Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »
paint remover will remove the carbon
not all but most

Offline Famer Rog

• Rider
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 11:59:00 PM »
Yag, I'm one of those "12R" guys.  I don't check here much, but Buzzard told me you posted about your turbo project.  Don't know if you've raced before, but we have a good group at Woodburn.  There's also several other street-bike only race series to run that Busa in.  I'm looking forward to seeing that turbo head down the strip.
ZX-12R tresspasser
Hayabusa.....tastes like chicken!

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by TomSlick:

Tell me about it... when does the spending to cure this disease ever end???

quote:
Originally posted by MOTORHEAD:
paint remover will remove the carbon
not all but most

Thanks MOTORHEAD... I'll keep that in mind for the next tear down.  I went through 5 of those damn dremel wire wheels, and it was a pain in the ass packing towls around the pistons to keep everything out of the crankcase.  Taping the holes on the head was easier, but still    
Carb cleaner got everything that was left off of the pistons, but there is still some crap on the valves that I couldn't get off... Think paint remover will help there?

Farmer Rog, drop me a line! I would love to get together.  Sounds like you guys are going to break me into the drag race scene, and god knows I need some MAJOR help with launching worth a shit.  

Offline Buzzard

• Rider
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »
Canby, you're practically down the street from us.  I'm in Sherwood and Rog is in Dundee.  A few of the other drag busa owners are in Hillsboro, Hood River and West Linn.  We'll all have to hook up sometime.  

What are you planning on doing with your busa - drag racing, top end runs, hot streetbike?  We'd sure like to see you out at the strip.

Call me anytime, my cell is (503) 819-5790.

When the weather is better, we cruise down to Portland Starbucks on occasion too.  

Here's is a local Portland sportbike forum that we hang out at.

Local Sportbike Forum

If you are not already a member, then sign up and hang out.  You'll find a few of us local dragracers there - Farmer Rog (12), Speedstar (busa), Cache (busa), Swoopjr (busa) and Myself.  There's streetbike busa and 12 guys there too.

Offline Buzzard

• Rider
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »
quote:

Tell me about it... when does the spending to cure this disease ever end???

Never...

And it gets worse.    

Offline Famer Rog

• Rider
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »
quote:
Farmer Rog, drop me a line! I would love to get together.  Sounds like you guys are going to break me into the drag race scene, and god knows I need some MAJOR help with launching worth a shit.   [/QB]
We can all help you with launching, but what I want to see is that turbo fly at the big end.    
ZX-12R tresspasser
Hayabusa.....tastes like chicken!

Offline turbotoys

• Post Master
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 10:53:00 PM »

Offline BUGSY

• Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2004, 04:36:00 AM »
Video the run........  

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bugsy:
Video the run........  

Will do  

Offline Hank

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bugsy:
Video the run........      

Will do  
In case your wondering,I also have a camcorder!!

Arcane WorldWide Racing,
home of the 701 hp Hayabusa,
and the"Original Ghetto"Banana™©®.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »
LOL Hank... uh, yeah can you send that overnight? LOL!!!  

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2004, 02:02:00 AM »
UGH!!!!!!!!!

STILL waiting on gaskets for the motor that were supposed to be here LAST friday from velocity... hopefully they will show today, or heads are gonna roll  

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »
No parts, again......................

Offline Hank

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »
Arcane WorldWide Racing,
home of the 701 hp Hayabusa,
and the"Original Ghetto"Banana™©®.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »
Alright, that makes sense.  What year is your bike anyway?  I'm not at home now, but I think that tool looked like it might be too small to fit on mine.  I welded a nut onto a bolt that fit the axle and ended up with a free tool