Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Yag's turbo busa  (Read 30486 times)

Offline Hank

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by yagmaster:
Alright, that makes sense.  What year is your bike anyway?  I'm not at home now, but I think that tool looked like it might be too small to fit on mine.  I welded a nut onto a bolt that fit the axle and ended up with a free tool  

I have a 00 and a 02.
Arcane WorldWide Racing,
home of the 701 hp Hayabusa,
and the"Original Ghetto"Banana™©®.

THEMOTORHEAD

Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2004, 11:14:00 PM »
i have gaskets in stock if ya need em

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2004, 01:21:00 AM »
Thats cool of you... I'm waiting on velo for a reship of the parts right now, overnight on monday.  I'll take you up on that if tuesday nothing shows.  Thank you...  
Intercooled MCXpress 58/12 twin entry power

Offline TotalKaosPerformance

• Rider
    • http://www.superkaos.com
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by yagmaster:
UGH!!!!!!!!!

STILL waiting on gaskets for the motor that were supposed to be here LAST friday from velocity... hopefully they will show today, or heads are gonna roll  

Jake if the original package DOES show up just send em back. Thanks Kevin

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »
Will do  

Offline 03 silver busa

• Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2004, 09:38:00 PM »
03 busa
98 560rwhp 427 Trans am
04 Camry SE
04 Titan

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »
Got the parts, and got the motor back together (except for the cams), and the turbo is mounted up.  Tonight I should have the cams in and degreed, finishing the motor completely, then it's just wiring, air lines, and oil lines.  I'll post some more pictures of the progress on the web page tonight.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2004, 12:26:00 AM »
A few more pics up at

http://dmxstuff.com/turbobuild

The two pics at the bottom.

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2004, 09:57:00 PM »
That's cool man! Thanks for the pics of your work!

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2004, 03:40:00 AM »
Cams are in and degreed!!!!!!!!

What a bitch man... first time for everything I suppose...  

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »
Everything is put together... just need to go over the bike with a fine tooth comb and see if I missed anything or need to make any changes, but I should be able to start it up tomorrow to check for oil leaks and such, and it's off to the dyno next thurday night to check the A/F ratio and get some numbers

Offline Hank

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2004, 11:14:00 PM »
I would be interested in what you felt would be a "degree of difficulty" for the install.I'm not talking Kevin or Dennis,but just the basic "gearhead" type.Did you have mechanical skills before you took this on?Would you suggest it for someone with "average"(whatever that is)
skills.It seems like you would need the help of maybe the local "wrench" for this.True or not?
Arcane WorldWide Racing,
home of the 701 hp Hayabusa,
and the"Original Ghetto"Banana™©®.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2004, 12:32:00 AM »
I fired it up tonight!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
I would be interested in what you felt would be a "degree of difficulty" for the install.I'm not talking Kevin or Dennis,but just the basic "gearhead" type.Did you have mechanical skills before you took this on?Would you suggest it for someone with "average"(whatever that is)
skills.It seems like you would need the help of maybe the local "wrench" for this.True or not?

I would say it's a pretty involved project if you haven't done anything like that before.  I have had motors apart before, so it wasn't a huge project, but it wasn't cake either.  If you have pulled motors before, you should be good to go.  If not, I would say it would be best to get the help of someone who has.  Keep your parts bagged up and labeled as you take them off, take pictures as you go, ask questions when they need to be asked, don't ever guess on anything, have a service manual to reference, and if you feel like you are in a hurry, walk away and come back later.

I'm fuckin' stoked... I can't wait to get out and ride this thing.  I am going to the dyno thursday to make sure everything is good to go, and then it's to the streets  

SuperDave

Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Hank:

Just from what I've been able to glean, Yagmaster appears to be a pretty good "wrench" just by himself.  He knows when to "walk away", that is VERY important, in my humble opinion.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2004, 07:24:00 PM »
 Thanks man.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »
I have a question about the tial 38mm wastegate.

On taking the wastegate off to inspect, I found this:

Is there supposed to be a seat for the valve in here? There is a 2mm or so gap that the exhaust can just blow past on this wastegate, and it looks like there is a machined space to accept a valve seat.  Todd had said that there was always some exhaust coming out of the wastegate dump even at idle when this system was on his bike, meaning there never was a seat in it if there was supposed to be.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2004, 01:36:54 PM »
Well, I guess since a lot of the posts were lost on this, and I haven't updated in a long time anyway, I'll give you guys an update.  I fucked up my transmission pretty bad, and am waiting on a built tranny to come back.  Should be here within a few weeks.

Also, wastegate is a 35mm, not a 38mm.  I will be relocating the wastegate dump from the back of the manifold to the side of the turbine housing, and upgrading to a larger wastegate to fix the boost creep problem... Barry was going to do the mod, and I'm not sure how I am supposed to proceed with things at this point now.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2004, 07:00:20 PM »
I finally got enough time today to split the cases, and things weren't quite as bad as I was expecting... a few of the gears on the driveshaft have deep gouges on them, and some of the gears on the countershaft look like someone has taken a chisel to them... they have curls of metal at the tips of the gears, almost like the metal squirted when the transmission slammed. There are also a few gears that have dogs that are about 25% rounded off and quite rough, no doubt the result of the gear slam. The shift forks didn't look too bad, but they are going to go to R&D along with the shift drum for cutting, they can decide if I need new forks or not. Hopefully I will have this pig back together in a few weeks and back on the road, better than ever. I wish I could afford to do pistons and rods right now while I have everything this far apart... sure would make life a lot easier instead of doing a total teardown again next winter.  Extra insurance I guess... I'll be able to check all the bearings for trouble after a summer of pounding the shit out of the motor.

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2004, 04:33:29 PM »
JE turbo pistons and falicon rods are on the way, turbo should be back soon here with a bigger, relocated wastegate, and a new dump pipe.  Transmission ought to hopefully be done and shipping back someday soon here  :roll:

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2004, 07:31:08 PM »
My doctor said its the best therapy available... I think he is the one that is nuts :roll:

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2004, 01:37:18 AM »
:shock: uuuuhhh... you are freakin' me out man... how did you know that???

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2004, 02:58:17 AM »
Fucking hell it takes a long time to get all the parts for a buildup... I'm still waiting on the transmission, and no word as to when the thing is going to be done.  Talk about riding anxiety......... :cussing:

Offline raxen

• Post Master
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2004, 08:07:13 PM »
Fucking hell it takes a long time to get all the parts for a buildup

That's how it always goes.  :(

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2004, 12:12:50 AM »
OK everyone... I got all my parts to start throwing this thing back together.  Transmission got here today, so I sould be able to start on things tomorrow evening.  My digital cam busted, so I'm not sure if I will be able to do a bunch of pictures like last time... we will see I guess. The list of new parts is as follows since the bike broke in March:

R&D full race transmission
BDE heavy duty shift fork rods
Falicon connecting rods
JE turbo pistons
TMH oversize head bolts
Adjustable sprockets for both cams
Carpenter valve springs
Kickstand Racing billet countershaft sprocket cover
TKP quick access clutch cover

Also had Velocity do a bit of work on the turbo... boost creep should be a thing of the past now  :yes:

If you helped me get to this point, you know who you are... I appreciate everything :beechug:

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
Yag's turbo busa
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2004, 07:25:11 PM »
Motor is mostly together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAH... I CAN ALMOST TASTE THE BOOST!!!