Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Dosn't everybody use Metal Valve caps??  (Read 6998 times)

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Dosn't everybody use Metal Valve caps??
« on: April 18, 2004, 12:35:03 PM »
Except for the 2000 ZX12, that has bent metal valve stems to cause centrifugal force to keep the shrader valve closed, most bikes have the tire valves in the middle of the rim facing up. As Scott knows, the cause of Barry Sheens horrible crash at Daytona back in the 70's was tire deflation. They found that centrifugal force caused the tire valve to move downward and let all of the air out of the tires. They found that the "ONLY" Thing keeping the air in the tire was the seal of the valve cap. Since the "Street Bikes: now can all go over 150, we all should be using steel tire vlaves with the rubber seal inside. (Not some of those fancy caps with Dice and other things :D
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:16:09 PM »
I do, I use the ones that come on BMW cars. However, I'm not yet a land speed racer.

Offline two_wheel_mayhem

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 12:28:44 AM »
Only if it had a faulty valve with weak spring to begin with. You don't see too many stock bikes with metal stems. When I was behind the pits at the Indy 500 there were metal valve caps scattered all over the ground, they don't reuse them. I pocketed some.

As far as the ZX12 having bent stems to prevent force on the schrader valve from opening I'd believe that one if I saw a test I suppose.
What me worry?

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 09:09:27 AM »
Quote from: braindead_organdonor
Only if it had a faulty valve with weak spring to begin with. You don't see too many stock bikes with metal stems. When I was behind the pits at the Indy 500 there were metal valve caps scattered all over the ground, they don't reuse them. I pocketed some.

As far as the ZX12 having bent stems to prevent force on the schrader valve from opening I'd believe that one if I saw a test I suppose.

Only the Year 2000 models have the bent valve stem. It faces backward to the rotation of the wheel to allow the centrifugal force to "Pull" vs Push the valve stem. SInce they cost more than the plain rubber valves, they were not used in later models. I still use the steel with washer vlave cap.

I posted this thread so that anyone "NOT" using a steel valve cap would seriously consider using one.

Not the best picture, but you can see that the stem is bent forward on the rear wheel which means that the weight of the valve stem is opposit the rotation of the wheel

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
  • Representing San Diego's back roads. Woot!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 10:36:08 PM »
So, uh, where do we get the caps?
Take off like a 13, flick it like a 6

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 01:04:21 AM »
From any rim and tire center.

J
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:43:19 PM »
It's not just the caps, you need metal valve stems also.Easy enough to get most places,but not a lot of them in scenic Wendover Nevada(ask me how I know).
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline Black-n-Blusa

• Post Whore
    • SMP
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 04:02:11 PM »
It's a true phenomenon that I've experienced myself.  The first time I took my ZX-11 to an honest 190mph I deflated the rear tire.  Just a brief excursion to that speed, and it became immediately apparent when I slowed down.  Just changing the caps has worked for me and satisfies ECTA rules.  Been much faster now (220+) with metal caps and rubber stems and never a problem.
Current Stable:
1990 RB Racing Turbo ZX-11
2000 MCXpress Turbo Busa
2006 ZX-14
2009 Husqvarna TE510

Offline BadSouthernBusa

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 12:18:12 PM »
I just lost a valve stem on the front tire on run somewhere around 196+ on the juice probably only a 12 second pull . when started to slow down found steering to feel real heavy , got to the gas station and heard the dreaded    SHHHHHHHHHH   and was going down fast , the valve stem tore in half !

im lucky I had not been in it for a long time .
gonna try to get a few2 metal ones today .

Allen

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 03:41:21 PM »
Just reading that Scared me!! The fact that you saved it is all that is important here!

Offline BadSouthernBusa

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 11:27:08 AM »
yeah just glad i got off the interstate and didnt go on sown the road .

replaced with some nice chorme plated steel universal valve stems , no chance to tear in half and they look great , simple install push in and just lock tite the nut on the stem , really nice pieces , 1.82 a piece !!

Allen

if ya dont have metal stems you should definetly consider .  no need to even break your rims down , 8" C-clamp will work great to move the tire over ! 20 minute job.

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 02:24:24 PM »
Quote from: BadSouthernBusa
yeah just glad i got off the interstate and didnt go on sown the road .

replaced with some nice chorme plated steel universal valve stems , no chance to tear in half and they look great , simple install push in and just lock tite the nut on the stem , really nice pieces , 1.82 a piece !!

Allen

if ya dont have metal stems you should definetly consider .  no need to even break your rims down , 8" C-clamp will work great to move the tire over ! 20 minute job.

You just answered my other question on How you got them in? Kawasaki had a recall on the Stem Nut which all I had to do was remove the small nut and replace with a Big one. Make sure you use the Metal Caps that have a rubber seal inside.

Offline casingbill

• Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 09:10:00 PM »
I guess I should take off those valve caps with the blinkning  blue lights when I go over 150. :lol:
--------------------------------
2001 Silver/Black Busa

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 11:39:39 AM »
Quote from: casingbill
I guess I should take off those valve caps with the blinkning  blue lights when I go over 150. :lol:

If you ever had them to begin with!  :roll:

Offline sickevan

• Apprentice Post Whore
    • http://www.sickshooter.com
caps
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 08:44:33 PM »
when you guys get the metal stems grab some of my billett 45.cal shells or 32.cal cyclinder caps @http://www.sickshooter.com guns bikes and bitches