Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: MAXTON April meet?  (Read 15898 times)

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
MAXTON April meet?
« on: April 25, 2004, 08:48:57 AM »
This weekend is the April event, anyone heard of any numbers yet?
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 05:05:46 PM »
I heard that Scott went 241. A Normally Aspirated Busa went 215. Harry went 133+ on his "Iron Head" Harley and a Roadster lost control just before the lights and rolled. No one really hurt except their car. Mike the Muffler took a spill on his motorized skate board leaving the scene of the Roadster accident. This is all from the e-mail sentto me from twin Jugs racing. There was a very light turn out.
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline joea

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 06:58:06 PM »
thats REALLY AWESOME SCOTTY !!!!!!!

what bike ??

way to go Scott and all

more info please

thanks   Joe :)
ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 07:25:59 PM »
Just got more information. The normally Aspirated Busa had a real speed of 211, Still very serious. The Snart Harley went 141 which is even more serious. I have copied the good news word for word below.

"There were two guys running fast besides Scott and Rich... they were both named Owens...

Jim Owens has that Green Nitrous bike.. that hauls butt... I think he went just over 218... from like Michigan or something.
Dave Owens owned a High performance shop in Massachusetts..( I don't care how they spell it...)  Dave's Buza was an ALL motor bike... no nitrous no turbo... and he went 211mph... and got in the two club.. Awesome runs.. and he was truly enjoying the whole gig...

It was great to see these two guys going at it... very cool stuff..."

K   (Keith Turk)

This is Jim Owens and Bike. As you can see, he is no "Jockey"!

It looks like the fastest NOS Bike is now a Green 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R and not too far from Guy in Toledo! Now I really have a steep Hill (Pun intended) to climb.

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
Maxton
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 08:44:41 PM »
Professor,

Thanx to you and everybody else (Guy,etc) who helped me with info on my questions about tech regulations. Todd B. called me with info also. This allowed me to get thru tech with no changes(except for removing my NOS bottles since I ran an all motor class S/G 3000).

I was fortunate enough to park next to Scott, and he helped me get initiated to ECTA, and helped me pick a class to run. Ironically, the class he suggested he owned the record, knowing I may break it to get in the club. Real 1st class guy.

I CAN NOT SAY ENOUGH GOOD ABOUT THE WHOLE ECTA GROUP!!! THEY WERE SO GREAT TO DEAL WITH, AND HELPED WITH EVERYTHING. KEITH, TONYA, SCOTT, DAD, DALE AND EVERYONE WHO I FORGOT THEIR NAMES (SORRY) WERE FANTASTIC. GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE!!!

My 1st pass was 205+, and I think Keith was more excited than myself even(maybe not). This set the record for  S/G 3000 easily, and put me in the club. They were so impressed they asked to check my bottle setup again(still in the trailer). That was the best compliment possible IMO. I went 208.5 2 passes later, and came back to impound and popped the cowl for Dad every record pass from that point on. Bike was very very hot, and parked it for the rest of day. Many people asked me to put on the spray and make a pass, but I declined.

Sunday was cooler, with some h2o vapor visable. 1st pass was 206.8, then 207+. Air dryed out, and I let engine cool(big motor). Rolled up to starter and nailed a 211.3 pass. Backed it up with a couple of 209+'s with hot motor. Still on ALL MOTOR.

Jim was continually improving on the 12. He was up to 217+ during my 211 pass. By the time I left he was at 218.7 I think. He had done a great job with his bike...and used a lot of NOS...LOL

Rich went a 33 or 37 I think, and Scott went 44 on Rich's bike if my short term is correct.

Don Smith was there, went 160 on stock gixx 6. Couple of his friends were there on R1(spray), and gixx1K. The gixx went 193+, R1 went 198+ to set new record.

Also was guy on Busa with dry shot, he went 201..

And Dad went 140+ on his xlch powered bike. Had to shake his hand on that.

Thanx again to all, had a great time!!!!

Dave
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 09:07:52 PM »
This is way awesome news.  If he broke the Nitrous Record, what was the record run?  Scott should have awarded him with the "Tiger Racing" bonus check of $250 for being the fastest Nitrous bike.  Damn, 218...TZ750, anyone, need to know final MPH.

Damn Professor, you and I better have our collective you know what together for the May event.  

Because 218 isn't going to make it for long... :D  

But give credit where it's due.  Way to go Big Green Kawi Machine.

Guy
Official Site Supporter

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 10:01:13 AM »
Dave, my only question is what did you finally do about the "Chain Guard"? :D:D That is very serious work you did "Young Man". I wish this board had the Thumbs up sign because you really deserve it.

Did anyone understate the track condition? Can you believe that someone can run 250 there? Last, where is the picture of you and your bike (At least the Bike we may not want to scare ourselves :D)

Mr. Guy, They are making a Mountain out of a Mo "Hill"  :shock: I hope the little work I am doing will pay off? Remember people, I am an "Old" Man so take it easy one me.  :roll:

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 09:02:58 PM »
Professor,

Used a modified stocker from frame to rear srocket edge. 1" angle alum...

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 09:24:48 PM »
? Can't get photo to post????

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 06:34:23 AM »
Quote from: DaveO
Professor,

Used a modified stocker from frame to rear srocket edge. 1" angle alum...

Dave

I am trying this by removing the "Space" Between the IMG Brackets. I see that does not work either. Snapfish may have a "Block" that prevents this. That has to be the smallest picture I have ever tired to see! (Remember, Old people need help)

For what I can see, the bike looks fairly "Stock"!

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 04:29:53 PM »
Quote from: VincentHill

Mr. Guy, They are making a Mountain out of a Mo "Hill"  :shock: I hope the little work I am doing will pay off? Remember people, I am an "Old" Man so take it easy one me.  :roll:

No way Professor, I am not going to under estimate you in the least.  I'm gunning for the mean green machine and I will not take that "old man" theory for granted.  Remember the "Sultan of Speed"?  He claims he's old too.

Come May, the "Tiger" will run a 220mph out of the trailer (the speed gods willing and the wind is at my back) and bust open the recent record breaking run of over 218 set last Aprils meet by Mr. Owens.  We are taking no prisoners.

Guy
Official Site Supporter

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 04:39:38 PM »
Guy,

Don't make me bolt the bottles on next time...LOL

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline rpmgsxr

• New User!
another pic of DaveO's bike
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 05:56:56 PM »
Here's a better pic of Daveo's bike

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 06:51:56 PM »
It's a beautiful piece.  I heard for all motor, this is now the second fastest on the planet.  CC for CC, it's a monster all right.  Would love to see it run with the juice.  Is this bike going to be at Maxton in May?  May is one of the biggest events for ECTA.  I am in some very awesome company.
How big is it including the stroker?
Better bring the bottles, just in case.

Guy
Official Site Supporter

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 08:30:02 AM »
Guy,

It is an 84mmX68mm setup with mild compression so I can spray a little. Cams are megs, Je's, carillo's and a real good cylinder head/cams combo. It made 236-238 on pump Monday before Maxton when I tuned it. Ran leaded fuel at Maxton from Hank's trailer for gas class. It is street driven on pump, takes my 7 year old son to school on nice days. It did get a little hot Saturday when the temps broke 90 making passes.

I did not put the bottles on and make a spray pass even though many people asked me too. My NOS tune is not setup, and it is only on full throttle switch right now. I need to put it on button, because I only need to spray 6th, I top out now well before trap leavin easy. The little 1lb bottles will not sustain pressure for long.

I decided after the 211 pass not to try sprayin it right then. It was running TOO GOOD on motor to risk hurtin it.

Thanx for the compliments!!! I have worked hard on this setup for a long time....

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 01:37:50 PM »
Do not tell anyone, but your bike looks very clean to me also  :roll:  What is that? A Micron Can? is there one or two of them ?

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 06:49:13 PM »
Professor,

BDE pipe polished can. IT is intentionally clean and stock looking....

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline Bergie

• Rider
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 07:06:44 AM »
Isn't Jim's ZX12 the current nitrous king of maxton stock bore and stroke?  And it's a real streetbike!

It doesn't have to be one of those $35,000+ full sponsored race bikes with carbon fiber everything, built billet everything stroker engines and all the race goodies, now that deserves recognition.

:lol:
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH
ECTA 200-Club 202.593 MPH
former drag racer - dontbescaredracing.com (retired)

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 01:31:29 PM »
Quote from: RAC4IT
Isn't Jim's ZX12 the current nitrous king of maxton stock bore and stroke?  And it's a real streetbike!

It doesn't have to be one of those $35,000+ full sponsored race bikes with carbon fiber everything, built billet everything stroker engines and all the race goodies, now that deserves recognition.

:lol:

Yes Bergie, Jim Owens, owner, rider and builder of a ZX12 is now (for the time being) the Nitrous King of Maxton and Jim Owens ran a 218.648mph in April.  He has been featured on my web page http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com and congratulated in quite a few threads.  He also won the "Tiger Racing Nitrous Challenge" prize $$$ of $250.00

Hope to see you in May

Guy
Official Site Supporter

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 01:49:16 PM »
Actually, I do not think Jim's bike has 1 part (Even the Ram Air Covers are stock) that is CF. Yes, he has done most of the work himself, but like me, there is no extra money for looks or less weight in CF.  He has a stock bike, with stock parts and some internal changes to allow the NOS and that is about that!

Now your bike (Escape from the Moto Mag front page) has more money in the tank and covers than I do in my entire bike! :D:D

and Dave Owens has spent real time and money to make his bike a real sleeper that woke up Maxton!

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 05:53:30 PM »
I stand corrected professor.  No CF. Okay, lets give the Kawi it's due respect.

Where would we be without you Professor.  I shall say no more.  
See you at Maxton in May.  

Oh and by the way,  I'll be bringing 8  2.5lb NOS bottles with me.  That will give me 4 good runs.

Guy
Official Site Supporter

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 06:41:16 PM »
OH Oh! I do not want to give advice to the enemy, but please take your time to make sure everything is correct before you let it loose! I really do not want to go faster than you by default. (Not to mention the cost  :roll: ) Be patient, it will make no difference when you run 220 even if it is on the last run so long as the bike is running on all of the runs. Agreed :?:  :?:

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 09:08:19 PM »
Jim's bike was performing very well. I was impressed with the bike, but more impressed with Jim. His determination and drive was priceless. the job he did setting up his NOS system was commendable.

Actually I was impressed with every person and their ride I met at Maxton. Whether it was a stroker, NOS, turbo, or a stocker, EVERYBODY did a good job...

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline MET

• Post Master
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2004, 10:05:19 AM »
Yes it is very god looking.  Lots of people scratching thir head after you pass them.  :D :D

Professor,

BDE pipe polished can. IT is intentionally clean and stock looking....

Dave

Offline MET

• Post Master
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2004, 10:07:49 AM »
Sounds like a great time for all of you.  Congratulations on all of you who ran...

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2004, 10:25:21 AM »
Guy, I want to say this and no BS! You know that you are a very intense person. Your level of patience is not at the highest level either. You have been known to rub a lot of people the wrong way. I might even say that not everyone is your best friend!

Saying what I have just said, this is what I do want to say. With everything that has happened to you in the last few months, I think there are very few of us on this board that could have handled them any better. Speaking from the Kawasaki Camp, Guy, you have handled everything like a "Man" Yes, a Gentleman! Personally, I respect what you have done and can only imagine the fustration of not being able to be there to defend your record. When I last heard from Jim Owens, all he could also say was good things about you. SO Hang in there and get the speed out of your bike it should have :!:  :!: [/i]

[/b]

Offline Bergie

• Rider
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2004, 06:01:29 PM »
Guy I won't be attending the May event, my bike is in pieces.  New baby, new house, no money.  I am pre-paid for my next ECTA event and for this season but I may end up holding off until October.  See you then.  Good luck to you and everyone at the next event in May, and try to raise that bar as high as possible; 'cause I ain't skeerd to jump over it  8)  :lol:
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH
ECTA 200-Club 202.593 MPH
former drag racer - dontbescaredracing.com (retired)

Offline FastGixx

• Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2004, 08:51:32 AM »

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2004, 05:43:41 PM »
Who's goin in May???

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2004, 06:09:04 PM »
Who's goin in May???

I am doing all I can to get there! I ordered all of the parts I need and some even in March may "Just" get to me in time "Maybe"? I am an Old man and my days of 8 to 14 hours of sleep (In 1 week) are over. If "Everything" goes as planned, I should be putting the engine back together this weekend which will give me enough time to break it in and set up on the Dyno Time. I am not going if I cannot get at least 500 miles on the engine and 3 hours of Dyno time. Just too expensive to hurry up and blow up! It was lack of money that caused the delays to begin with and if Randall had not stepped up, there is no way at all!

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2004, 08:15:39 PM »
Professor,

Yoiu really do not need 500 miles before dyno session. I put ~100 miles on this engine and then spent a day on the dyno mapping it, partly because I "lost" the map when almost finished. It went to Maxton with 140 miles on it, and fresh oil...and it ran well.

Everybody has their breakin procedures. All I will say is I have been building bike engines professionally for many years now, and my procedures have proven safe and effective.

Would be nice to meet ya....

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2004, 08:39:38 AM »
Thanks Dr. Dave, 500 is the Goal, not the finish line. Breaking in rings and Pistons depend on  the clearance and really how well the rings seat. I want to get a lot of heat cycles in the pistons and many thrusts on the rings to have them in good position before I put a real load on them. Remember, I will be spraying at least 150 shot of NOS and that is a "Little" harder than NO or a 50 shot! Plus, I do not have one of those "Bullet Proof" Busas  :roll: so I need to be more careful :D

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2004, 11:40:50 AM »
Professor,

Heat cycles and load are the key to good breakin. I thermal cycle the engine 3 times before I ride it. Then I gradually up the load on dyno/road. I also downrev it to seal rings on top side. My engines usually have gas ported pistons, I hope you have them for your expected high cylinder pressure.

I have had good luck with the 12's I have built. The last being a stroker with a 100 shot. The only weak link I have found is the clutch assembly.

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2004, 12:38:10 PM »
We are in 100% agreement. I think of break in as making the square peg fit the round hole. I think of putting the pressure on the parts to heat them up and wear the high parts a little and then let them cool to shrink back to size again. By doing this enough times, eventually all of the peaks are rounded off to the point where everything actually does not touch anything! Then I am broke in.

By Gas Ports, are you referring to drilling small holes in the top of the piston to give gas pressure aid to the Ring sealing against the walls? Are they still doing that? I thought that the Drag caused by the extra pressure took away the gain in the HP and the cylinder wear was not offset by the blow by that found its way past the top ring?

What I did was to lower the position of the top ring and add .020 to the lands. I know that Ducati is running as much as .325 from the top but I thought much over .250 from the top is not necessary? (Of course closer has the other problems also) Thanks for your time Dave I appreciate it!

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2004, 03:45:13 PM »
Professor,

The 12 JE's are thin between valve pocket to top land..IMO. I had a custom set made(thanx JE) for the NOS stroker to stop it from melting in that area.

Some builders/tuners are still using the gas ports. It is a debate amongst us...

All I know is it didn't seem to slow down my Busa too much....LOL

Sounds like you have things well taken care of.

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2004, 04:34:02 PM »
That is why I had mine made .060 thicker on top of the piston  :roll:

I know what you are saying and had thoughts about the Gas Ports and decided that it is always harder to "Un-Drill" the Hole than it is to "Drill" the Hole :D