Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: MAXTON April meet?  (Read 16023 times)

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2004, 10:25:21 AM »
Guy, I want to say this and no BS! You know that you are a very intense person. Your level of patience is not at the highest level either. You have been known to rub a lot of people the wrong way. I might even say that not everyone is your best friend!

Saying what I have just said, this is what I do want to say. With everything that has happened to you in the last few months, I think there are very few of us on this board that could have handled them any better. Speaking from the Kawasaki Camp, Guy, you have handled everything like a "Man" Yes, a Gentleman! Personally, I respect what you have done and can only imagine the fustration of not being able to be there to defend your record. When I last heard from Jim Owens, all he could also say was good things about you. SO Hang in there and get the speed out of your bike it should have :!:  :!: [/i]

[/b]
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline Bergie

• Rider
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2004, 06:01:29 PM »
Guy I won't be attending the May event, my bike is in pieces.  New baby, new house, no money.  I am pre-paid for my next ECTA event and for this season but I may end up holding off until October.  See you then.  Good luck to you and everyone at the next event in May, and try to raise that bar as high as possible; 'cause I ain't skeerd to jump over it  8)  :lol:
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH
ECTA 200-Club 202.593 MPH
former drag racer - dontbescaredracing.com (retired)

Offline FastGixx

• Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2004, 08:51:32 AM »

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2004, 05:43:41 PM »
Who's goin in May???
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2004, 06:09:04 PM »
Quote from: DaveO
Who's goin in May???

I am doing all I can to get there! I ordered all of the parts I need and some even in March may "Just" get to me in time "Maybe"? I am an Old man and my days of 8 to 14 hours of sleep (In 1 week) are over. If "Everything" goes as planned, I should be putting the engine back together this weekend which will give me enough time to break it in and set up on the Dyno Time. I am not going if I cannot get at least 500 miles on the engine and 3 hours of Dyno time. Just too expensive to hurry up and blow up! It was lack of money that caused the delays to begin with and if Randall had not stepped up, there is no way at all!

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2004, 08:15:39 PM »
Professor,

Yoiu really do not need 500 miles before dyno session. I put ~100 miles on this engine and then spent a day on the dyno mapping it, partly because I "lost" the map when almost finished. It went to Maxton with 140 miles on it, and fresh oil...and it ran well.

Everybody has their breakin procedures. All I will say is I have been building bike engines professionally for many years now, and my procedures have proven safe and effective.

Would be nice to meet ya....

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2004, 08:39:38 AM »
Thanks Dr. Dave, 500 is the Goal, not the finish line. Breaking in rings and Pistons depend on  the clearance and really how well the rings seat. I want to get a lot of heat cycles in the pistons and many thrusts on the rings to have them in good position before I put a real load on them. Remember, I will be spraying at least 150 shot of NOS and that is a "Little" harder than NO or a 50 shot! Plus, I do not have one of those "Bullet Proof" Busas  :roll: so I need to be more careful :D

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2004, 11:40:50 AM »
Professor,

Heat cycles and load are the key to good breakin. I thermal cycle the engine 3 times before I ride it. Then I gradually up the load on dyno/road. I also downrev it to seal rings on top side. My engines usually have gas ported pistons, I hope you have them for your expected high cylinder pressure.

I have had good luck with the 12's I have built. The last being a stroker with a 100 shot. The only weak link I have found is the clutch assembly.

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2004, 12:38:10 PM »
We are in 100% agreement. I think of break in as making the square peg fit the round hole. I think of putting the pressure on the parts to heat them up and wear the high parts a little and then let them cool to shrink back to size again. By doing this enough times, eventually all of the peaks are rounded off to the point where everything actually does not touch anything! Then I am broke in.

By Gas Ports, are you referring to drilling small holes in the top of the piston to give gas pressure aid to the Ring sealing against the walls? Are they still doing that? I thought that the Drag caused by the extra pressure took away the gain in the HP and the cylinder wear was not offset by the blow by that found its way past the top ring?

What I did was to lower the position of the top ring and add .020 to the lands. I know that Ducati is running as much as .325 from the top but I thought much over .250 from the top is not necessary? (Of course closer has the other problems also) Thanks for your time Dave I appreciate it!

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2004, 03:45:13 PM »
Professor,

The 12 JE's are thin between valve pocket to top land..IMO. I had a custom set made(thanx JE) for the NOS stroker to stop it from melting in that area.

Some builders/tuners are still using the gas ports. It is a debate amongst us...

All I know is it didn't seem to slow down my Busa too much....LOL

Sounds like you have things well taken care of.

Dave

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
MAXTON April meet?
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2004, 04:34:02 PM »
That is why I had mine made .060 thicker on top of the piston  :roll:

I know what you are saying and had thoughts about the Gas Ports and decided that it is always harder to "Un-Drill" the Hole than it is to "Drill" the Hole :D