Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: any female riders go 200mph?  (Read 14357 times)

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
any female riders go 200mph?
« on: May 13, 2004, 12:29:40 PM »
at bonne or maxton? I know there are several women drivers, but not sure about riders. Anyone know?

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 01:28:46 PM »
Think one of the women down in Florida did at their 9/10s races.

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 03:28:02 PM »
thanks. I will clarify.

Any woman run 200mph in a sanctioned verifiable event?

to me, 9/10's racing is about as accurate as the tape measure Jr Tuttle uses to measure with before he cuts for production. precision at its worst. :roll:

Offline JACKD

• Rider
iT HAS BEEN AWHILE
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 11:20:13 AM »
Marcia Holly was the 1st women in the 200mph ckub with anything in 1978
with a 1015cc turbo alky Kawasaki at 229+mph.
Most smaller women are ideal for gong fast with a bike.
That is "Ms. Holly" to most of you.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 08:00:10 PM »
This was done "in" a motorcycle streamliner..not "on" a standard sitdown bike..

JD, did she "ever" pull up the skids... :roll:
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline JACKD

• Rider
I guess you had to be there
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 09:33:23 PM »
I bet you wonder how fast she went on an open bike before Speedweek and why she was in the liner.
The skids were up as a requirement for the rules and the film shows.
She even did it without El Mirage HP (tail wind) with a 2 way average.
We had a good laugh about "SPEED QUEEN" a long time ago (July 78 ) and we were reminded about it again recient  years.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 09:49:39 PM »
Tell us about the laugh..I have heard from several people that the skids were not up during one of the two way runs at Bonne

Offline JACKD

• Rider
I KNEW YOU WOULD LIKE IT
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 10:16:44 PM »
Several people didn't like the idea of a girl in the 2 club, much less a biker either.  Lindsley for example wanted his grand daughter to do it in a car.
The run satisfied the AMA, SCTA. and the 2 CLUB that watched it with a lot of people , great interest , and a lot of attention.  You might ask them also.

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 10:55:37 PM »
I would love to put a woman in the 2 club, I had a girl in mind but she was mouthy. :evil:

I have another one in mind and spoke with her about it, but she is in the 2 and 3 chapter in a car...sweet lady.. :D

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 04:26:40 PM »
Well, maybe you should go down to South FL and show those guys and gals how its done. :roll:

Quote from: 3B or BBB
thanks. I will clarify.

to me, 9/10's racing is about as accurate as the tape measure Jr Tuttle uses to measure with before he cuts for production. precision at its worst. :roll:
"go ahead...bring your mama!"

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 05:42:56 PM »
Doing it on a street with nothing more than a GPS and doing it at a Sanctioned event are two different things. :!:

I went 215 on the street and the only thing it meant to me was a personal best.. :roll:

Now do it on the dirt or salt..Now your talkin  ! !  :twisted:

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 06:55:18 PM »
Not taking anything away from Bonneville or El Mirage competitors.  It just seems ironic that all the LSR courses available are nowhere near as safe as 9/10ths.
But the other element of 9/10th is being able to run side by side with another bike, which makes it far more interesting...even if the speeds are below 200mph.

Offline JACKD

• Rider
NOT TO MENTION MAXTON
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 07:54:29 PM »
Not to mrntion Maxton is to forget the LSR track that does the best job for the entrant with respect to timing methods, information, and results .
If you say 9/10 is safer, then I don't expect you to be leading a legitimate event anytime soon.
I choose to  run LSR events with a single vehicle on the track so as to give them undivided attention. Space is not a consideration.  Perhaps you forgot the 2 track system was 1st used by the bikes and later at SCTA Speedweek.  In addition the AMA/FIM bikes outside of SCTA are not required to make a throw away run over the record just to be allowed to do 2 more for the class. That practice has been replaced by the long impound only within SCTA.
You are probably like most and know more than you say, but how you say it is the reflection that will produce the measured results.
A guy speant too much time on the subject of how fast he went on the streets and the potential sponsers treated him like a "RED HEADED STEP CHILD". Most all have done it , but he paid the price for making it 1st and formost in conversation. Now he drives a car.
"Reality is only harch if you fur is already headed the wrong way"

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2004, 08:11:29 PM »
Quote from: TurboBlew
Not taking anything away from Bonneville or El Mirage competitors.  It just seems ironic that all the LSR courses available are nowhere near as safe as 9/10ths.
But the other element of 9/10th is being able to run side by side with another bike, which makes it far more interesting...even if the speeds are below 200mph.

Ask a "certain" racer how safe 9/10's is, ...wait ask two of them, they are best of friends and both of them nearly lost a leg... :(

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
Re: NOT TO MENTION MAXTON
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2004, 09:33:02 PM »
Hey, dont get me wrong... Im not criticizing any of the LSR santioning bodies or the way they run an event.  
I can give you a brief synapsis of why I think 9/10ths is safer:
-Level asphalt
-lots of visibility
-9ft wide lanes
-plenty of runoff/shutdown area (not requiring brakes)
-sea level

Now granted.... you couldnt hold a sanctioned event without an act of Florida congress.... but logically one would think "hey, these are ideal condtions for achieving top speed".
Ive never run Bonneville or El Mirage, so I probably look like a bumbling idiot to those that have, but I plan to in the near future, if not for records...just the experience.
Feel free to debate my points.... other than the obvious traffic and public safety issues. :lol:

Quote from: JACKD
Not to mrntion Maxton is to forget the LSR track that does the best job for the entrant with respect to timing methods, information, and results .
If you say 9/10 is safer, then I don't expect you to be leading a legitimate event anytime soon.
I choose to  run LSR events with a single vehicle on the track so as to give them undivided attention. Space is not a consideration.  Perhaps you forgot the 2 track system was 1st used by the bikes and later at SCTA Speedweek.  In addition the AMA/FIM bikes outside of SCTA are not required to make a throw away run over the record just to be allowed to do 2 more for the class. That practice has been replaced by the long impound only within SCTA.
You are probably like most and know more than you say, but how you say it is the reflection that will produce the measured results.
A guy speant too much time on the subject of how fast he went on the streets and the potential sponsers treated him like a "RED HEADED STEP CHILD". Most all have done it , but he paid the price for making it 1st and formost in conversation. Now he drives a car.

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2004, 09:42:29 PM »
As I recall only one was actually at 9/10ths.  :?  
It would be impossible to have any kind of factual statistics on injuries directly related to 9/10ths racing... but if I had to guess the percentages of riders to injuries sustained would be in the fractional percentages.
And of course that was attributed to tire failure..... and wasnt it you who had tire failure as well in a sanctioned event?  :shock:

Besides...my original reply was directed at 3B or BBB who doesnt seem to think 9/10ths racing is serious.

Quote from: SPEED KING Parts Slut

Ask a "certain" racer how safe 9/10's is, ...wait ask two of them, they are best of friends and both of them nearly lost a leg... :(

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2004, 10:16:44 PM »
As I recall only one was actually at 9/10ths.  :?  
It would be impossible to have any kind of factual statistics on injuries directly related to 9/10ths racing... but if I had to guess the percentages of riders to injuries sustained would be in the fractional percentages.
And of course that was attributed to tire failure..... and wasnt it you who had tire failure as well in a sanctioned event?  :shock:

Besides...my original reply was directed at 3B or BBB who doesnt seem to think 9/10ths racing is serious.

Quote from: SPEED KING Parts Slut

Two riders went down at the same place...both almost lost their leg, both are friends, both of them went down on the streets, one is a cop and and one know's better.

Both were LUCKY. :!:

J

PS. I lost a tire at 188 and rolled it up to 218+ mph before I rolled out, I did not have a problem slowing down and stepping off of the stopped Motorcycle.

J

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 01:04:53 AM »

No, re-read my post. ACCURATE is what I said.

How can 9' lanes be safe? On public highways?

9/10's has a sanctioned Tech inspection crew that meets SCTA, BNI, USFRA, FIM, AMA, ECTA, AMA/Prostar, NHRA or IHRA standards? Yeah, just what I thought. You guys have fun and call it legit? Fine with me. Have a good time and be safe. I just won't be running it any time soon.

Safe? not really. Legal? not really. Am I any better than you or anyone there? Probably not. But my intention is to run Bonne next year and Maxton in 2 years.

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 06:36:53 PM »
thanks to JackD for the clarification. Now I truly have a starting point.

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
My friends wife..........
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 06:16:47 PM »
........has seen 205 indicated on her '00 ZX12R several times. Her bike is now piped and geared. She weighs in at 140lbs. not suited.

I have a video of it. Can anybody host it?

Maybe I could talk her ol man and her to try a sanctioned event........

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 08:10:57 PM »
Thanks BS. Yeah, get them to do an event. that is the direction we are going. 5'11", 125, blond and pierced

Offline juice

• Post Master
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2004, 03:21:43 PM »
Two riders went down at the same place...both almost lost their leg, both are friends, both of them went down on the streets, one is a cop and and one know's better.

Both were LUCKY.  

Just for the record one was on an off ramp and hit the guard rail 15 mles away and the others mishap would of happened at maxton or bonniville. I'm not saying it is safe on the street. Atleast at the events you have to pass inspection and you have to wear gear witch most don't out at the 9\10 (me include). And another factor like they mentioned with TJ crash was that the rescue was there within a minute. Out at the 9\10 you are out there and you are waiting for a long long time for help. I'm glad that was not a factor in this last case.
For each his own. we happen to have the 9\10 down here so that is our poison. If they had a event like maxton close I'm sure most of us would go for it. (I plan to one day) My .02

P.S  YES! Both where  very lucky

Offline landracing

• Rider
    • http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2004, 12:12:27 AM »
Hey, dont get me wrong... Im not criticizing any of the LSR santioning bodies or the way they run an event.  
-Level asphalt
-lots of visibility
-9ft wide lanes
-sea level

Im sorry old post but Turboblew your 9/10 runs are safer gets thrown out the door by lsr events no holds barred.

-Level Asphalt you say, bonneville is 7-9 miles of hard salt, less than 1% grade entire track for 7-9miles.

-Lots of visibility - umm how does 23 miles of visibility strike you on the salt.

-9ft wide lanes - umm try 40 feet lanes at bonneville.

-plenty of runoff/shutdown area (not requiring brakes) - umm how does about 5-10 miles of shutdown area sit with you? Pretty damn good to me. NO brakes required to slow down.

-sea level -- ok you might have us there, but I will take 4280ft on a very good day anyday over cement walls, other rider coming into your lane, short comparable to bonneville shut down area etc etc.

you need a better argument then that for saying 9/10's is safer.

Landracing

Offline JACKD

• Rider
Just a few things You forgot
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2004, 01:26:16 AM »
1.. 40 ft is the minimum distance, I can set up 3 times that wide but the riders lose sight of the edges. The jet car was set at 90ft with larger markers.
2. Bonneville is just sorta flat. It is the only place on earth You can see the curve both ways. At normal standing height the entries come from out of sight and go away again before the end of a long run.
4. If Your HP is not dependant on sea level the advantage is the air is thinner with less to push.
5. If applied correctly, the salt will cool a tire that would otherwise fail on pavement.

Offline Bergie

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2004, 06:51:15 PM »
Busashot, not to burst your bubble but "205 indiciated" doesn't equate to much unless your gearing was 4+ teeth down on the back from stock.  

It's proven that the 12R has in excess of 9% error on the factory speedo which puts her "205" closer to 187 MPH.  That's only fast if you do it in a 1/4 mile  :lol:

On the 12R you can bury the factory speedo with an indicated 220 and still just barely be approaching an actual 200mph.
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH
ECTA 200-Club 202.593 MPH
former drag racer - dontbescaredracing.com (retired)

Offline HighOnBusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 07:54:24 PM »
. Yes there are accidents, Yes people can get seriously hurt. But same goes for Bonneville and Maxton. It is very safe when the experienced riders are out there. Juice,Barry,Lofty,Sal,Denny,Carlito,Etc. You shouldn't knock it until you try it. There are risks in any type of racing. When you push the envelope to the max, Accidents happen sometimes.
I have ran 9/10's several times. The adrenalin rush was awesome and I never ran over 200mph. These guys are hitting 200mph in 6/10'sor better. It does take skill and bike preparation. I live in Palm beach now and don't get to witness this awesome display of speed that often anymore. Someone should post some video. It is way cool. I have never been to Maxton or Bonneville, But would love to check it out sometime. You guys at 9/10's are still my speed hero's, Keep racing and stay safe.
                                   Jeff
One cannot answer for his Courage, When he has never been in Danger...................

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2004, 09:26:32 PM »
Bergie your an idiot. Why do you think I stated "Indicated"?

Do you actually think I believe the speedo?

Go back to ZX12R board and quit your Busa envy!!!!

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Offline ZEROBUSA

• Rider
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2004, 10:47:15 AM »
Quote from: Steve A
Think one of the women down in Florida did at their 9/10s races.

:kickass: Yeap, me... 207 GPS

Marie :moped:
¨"Ç%&*¨happens...

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 12:47:55 PM »
I was talking to Noonan a few days ago and let him know that our program cant run this year. Too many family conflicts. So, here is hoping somone can do it... but if they dont, it will be us next year. The bike is roughly 80% complete and I have two riders lined up. And yes john, I will call you back for that "list."  :wink:

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2004, 04:44:50 AM »
Hopefully we can make a Maxton event with a local girl.    She's the perfect size to pilot the bike.  She already runs away from bigger bore bikes on a stock motored/piped 12.

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2004, 11:01:37 AM »
Quote from: scott g
I hope this woman comes to Maxton, Goliad, Bonneville, El Mirage, Muroc, etc and sets a record over 200 MPH.  No woman has yet done that on an OPEN-WHEEL motorcycle, and the world is waiting.

I would love to be the one to "hand her the hat!"

Problem there Scott, Muroc probably will not ever happen again,

jon

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2004, 11:26:35 AM »
Quote from: scott g
I hope this woman comes to Maxton, Goliad, Bonneville, El Mirage, Muroc, etc and sets a record over 200 MPH.  No woman has yet done that on an OPEN-WHEEL motorcycle, and the world is waiting.

I would love to be the one to "hand her the hat!"

Problem there Scott, Muroc probably will not ever happen again,

jon

Offline Matt Sterbator

• Rider
    • http://www.JaxRacing.com
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2004, 09:21:14 AM »
Hopefully we can make a Maxton event with a local girl.    She's the perfect size to pilot the bike.  She already runs away from bigger bore bikes on a stock motored/piped 12.

Yikes   :wink:

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2004, 07:13:33 PM »

You mean she runs away from bigger bore 12R's...

Offline Matt Sterbator

• Rider
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2004, 09:22:09 AM »
double post

Offline Matt Sterbator

• Rider
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2004, 09:25:54 AM »
Quote from: gnd111

Amazing what a difference it makes.  :D  :wink:

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2004, 08:46:10 PM »
She'll run away from Busas even faster....lol

Quote from: gnd111

Offline THE ICE MAN

• Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2004, 11:02:20 PM »
Quote from: 3B or BBB
thanks. I will clarify.

I assume you came down and measured the 9/10's??
No it is not a sanctiond event but it is 9/10's of a mile,measured out.
41 Maxton records 650 750 1000 1350 1650 2000 3000 3001+ classes top speed Turbo Busa 236.96 MPH Busa 1507 NA 223.330 MPH
Fastest N.A. 600 750 1000 1350 @ Maxton
Fastest N.A.Kawasaki ZX12 212.846  1 mile 1287cc
Fastest NA Busa @ Texas mile Goliad 217.0 MPH

Offline MET

• Post Master
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2004, 11:50:01 PM »
9/10's Fun yes nice to run Yes Safer No way in hell.  I have been there racing on a busy Sunday when a few locals crossed the road in a pickup .5 seconds before two 200mph bikes flashed past.  Lets not fool ourselves in thinking that it is safe, to many places for entry and exits.  Most of the time it has been OK but not safer when I have been there.

-Level asphalt
-lots of visibility
-9ft wide lanes
-sea level

Now granted.... you couldnt hold a sanctioned event without an act of Florida congress.... but logically one would think "hey, these are ideal condtions for achieving top speed".
Ive never run Bonneville or El Mirage, so I probably look like a bumbling idiot to those that have, but I plan to in the near future, if not for records...just the experience.
Feel free to debate my points.... other than the obvious traffic and public safety issues. :lol:

Quote from: JACKD

Offline BiggerDanno

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • HOW FAST IS FAST?
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2004, 10:27:16 AM »
Rickster just got back from Bonneville after riding my bike to an official  196 mph on the short course after a 159 1/4 mile speed. She was showing 205 on the GPS as an exit speed. She was definately accelerating!!!

To get her into the 2 club would require breaking a record at over 245 mph!!! :shock:  :shock:  (at least in the class we were running in)
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams...John Barrymore

Too much power is addictive!!!

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2004, 12:40:29 PM »
yeah, the rule changes I think only apply to bikes for "official entry" into the 200 club. Complete bullshit. just because the car guys cant make the power and run the numbers from the showroom and build on it as easily as we are, doesnt mean we should be penalized for it. More of my issues with the SCTA.

Sorry JackD... thats why I am glad the folks at Bubs came along.

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2004, 01:49:38 AM »
Yeah total BS having to run at speeds well over 200  to get into the 200 club,when the record for your class is at or below 200.If you set a record and go over,that should be good enough.Afraid the good ole boys club will be diluted/sullied by those stinkin' motorcycle riders.
Again,another  rule imposed by a few that potentially affects every competitor without any input from those affected--kinda like the new leathers rule.
I really wanted to make the Bubs event but have had too many setbacks getting bikes ready.
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline firemanjim

• Post Whore
    • Black Art Racing
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2004, 01:50:02 AM »
Yeah total BS having to run at speeds well over 200  to get into the 200 club,when the record for your class is at or below 200.If you set a record and go over,that should be good enough.Afraid the good ole boys club will be diluted/sullied by those stinkin' motorcycle riders.
Again,another  rule imposed by a few that potentially affects every competitor without any input from those affected--kinda like the new leathers rule.
I really wanted to make the Bubs event but have had too many setbacks getting bikes ready.
Official Site Tuner

Home of one of the fastest 750cc bikes in the world
239MPH faired, 217MPH naked!
Bonneville 200 Club
El Mirage 200 Club
Mojave Mile 200 Club
Mojave Magnum 200 Club
NEDRA 100 MPH Club
Gairdner 200MPH Achiever 2013
2014 1st place Mojave Mile N/A bike
2015 top speed trophy at WOS
Colorado mile 200 MPH club
2017 DLRA 200 MPH club
2018 Shift Sector 200 MPH Club

Offline JACKD

• Rider
200 CUUBING
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »
There is a case of a biker setting a record above that of an existing member and was denied membership becaus they were below the recient club minimums.
Perhaps it is over.
Modern tech is easier for cars too. Look at the Grant 5 second glub in Drag Racing. It closed after a set number of members. Now if you don't go 4s, you won't qualify.
SCTA tired of them years ago and abandoned the minimums at Bonneville.
When they published the first minimums, it was for cars only. While Don Vesco was advising them , the bikes were left alone. Now they have become subject matter experts.