Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: My Signature? What History at Daytona?  (Read 6500 times)

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
My Signature? What History at Daytona?
« on: May 27, 2004, 07:36:55 PM »
I have been asked this on other Boards where I have been a member a lot longer. Several people have asked these questions, so to answer everyone at once here is the explanation.

In 1981, I finished 2nd at Nelson Ledges at an AMA Regional Race. This made me 4th ranked lightweight (250 cc) Amateur in the Country for 1982. Because of this and other things I sat on the Pole for the Daytona Amateur Lightweight race  in March 1982. As far as I or anyone else knows, I am the only Black person that has ever sat on the Pole for any Kind of race at Daytona!

In 1983, I qualified 67 for the Daytona 200. Near the end of the race I had moved up in the top 20 but had develpoed an Oil leak and the rear was starting to slide and eventually finished 32nd. As far as anyone knows, I was and may still be the only Black person to Qualify and Finish the Daytona 200!

Some of you may say, what is the Big deal? Well, the Article in Super Street Bike Magazine is not the first time I have been in a Magazine Actually I was the Feature Story in the June Issue of Black Biker Magazine in 1983. They did the research and found this was true. You still say what is the Big deal? Well, in that article I gave them a copy of a 1949 AMA Rule Book which which Stated "All Participants must be members of the Association and membership in the Association is limited to "WHITE Persons" Only! It was not until 1952 that this rule was dropped. and it was about 20 years later in 1973 when a Black Guy from Washington DC got his Amateur Road Race License and went to Daytona and Raced a Kawasaki Bighorn Road Racer.

BTW, I was on the Cover of that exact same magazine in June of 1984 sitting on the Pit Wall at Daytona just before the Daytona 200 where I had problems all week and just made it into the field as 2nd Alternate. I got into the top 30 before the lifting of the cylinders on the banking oiled the bike so much I could not keep my feet on the pegs and pulled in around lap 42. The biggest compliment I have ever received was someone said I was the AMA's version of Wendell Scott the Only Black NASCAR Driver.

And Still one Fast Old Man! That Part is because I qualified 3rd at Charlotte behind Eddie Lawson and Richard Chambers in my Heat Race and Finished 11th. At Road Atlanta I was in 6th Place but was so tired after rebuilding my engine Saturday Night I slowed and finished 11 there also. Finally, Starting Land SPeed Racing when I was 58 and running 199.353 on my 60th Birthday really does make me   "One Fast Old Man!" (Please do not believe what my wife says about me being "fast"!):roll:
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 08:07:14 PM »
Congratulations - very interesting history !!!

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 08:40:42 PM »
Quote from: Steve A
Congratulations - very interesting history !!!

I was a bit surprized when I saw the rule book also. I knew nothing of this because in 1958, A friend of mine Clemmie Jackson drove his old 1952 Chevo to California to race Flat Track. He was real good in this but at Ascot Park (Remember the bikes did not have brakes back in the day because they thought that was dangerous and you were disqualified if you down shifted) was Killed in 1960 when he got hit trying to miss a fallen rider. Clemmie was also Black and he was racing AMA. Even though this was after the rule change, Like me, he and I never saw anything or heard anything that would have made me believe this ever existed. Dave Aldana was always on my case for Being "Polite", Gary Nixon was always sending me Carburators to try out, Fujio Yoshimuria did my head on the Superbike, Rob North (who built some of Don Vesco's Streamliners built my frame and Kevin Cameron to this day is always giving me help.

I mention all of this so you can understand what we all seem to know, The only discrimination I have ever seen in the racing community was against "SLOW PEOPLE"! No one then or now ever seemed to care who or what you were. Even now, look around at Maxton, Bonneville, El Mirage, has anyone seen any Black Bike Racers? (Any Black Land Speed Racers?) I havn't and the only way I know it is when I see my face on the web pages or reflection in the windows of my van. So even on a Busa Board you got a Kawasaki Riding Black guy where If there ever was a reason to discriminate, it would be the color of my "BIKE" Green! :D Good people here (Well most of them  :roll: )

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 12:17:33 AM »
I am the only Black person

you're black? that changes everything... :wink:

good to know you are sticking to riding competitively. Albeit in another medium. I didnt think they gave AMA or ECTA licenses to senior citizens?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 12:18:07 AM »
oh yeah, did you get an AARP discount? :wink:

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 08:46:37 AM »
Quote from: 3B or BBB
I am the only Black person

you're black? that changes everything... :wink:

good to know you are sticking to riding competitively. Albeit in another medium. I didnt think they gave AMA or ECTA licenses to senior citizens?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Look on the AMA Registery I was National #69 that Nicky Hayden made famous and then 269 now on the Registery #469 Expert Road Race. Until they changed the percentage rules I was thinking of running Daytona again because I felt I could get into the top 80.

Actually if you look at what I have always ridden, I am "GREEN"!

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 08:53:07 AM »
Hopefully, race is not an issue on this board.
There is some slight prejudice about GREEN though.
Since I'm only 59 I will cut a senior citizen a break tho.... :D

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 08:04:43 AM »
Quote from: dakinebusa
Hopefully, race is not an issue on this board.
There is some slight prejudice about GREEN though.
Since I'm only 59 I will cut a senior citizen a break tho.... :D

And even that Prejudice is not what it is on other Boards (Like Labusas)! I think the "Tone" is set my the creator "MOTORHEAD" (He does not suffer Fools Lightly!) Young Man! :D:D

Offline Busa Quick

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 07:54:06 PM »
Regardless of race or type of bike, I think your riding career has been awesome and I would have liked to had some of those experiences. I am still plenty young but, not in the position to try a Daytona or the like. I will probably try drag racing next year though.

Good job,
Mark
Black and Purple 04, MY MODS: Turbo, .08 spacer, s2000 injectors, yosh cams 7.2 spring, heavy clutch springs, APE valve springs, raised rev limiter to 11,500 rpm with ignition cut only, using only stock ECM with Petrik reprogramming method,

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 09:08:02 PM »
Don't let his saying of being old fool you people.  He is a force to be reckoned with and he just wants you think he's old so you will give him an edge.  Don't give in to his wiles, he's one sharp speed demon.  Professor, now you gotta go 222 with your mean green machine.  See you in Sept/Oct.

Guy
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 09:23:43 PM »
right on GUy, congratulations. Give us the details please :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 09:36:54 PM »
Quote from: 2fast4u2c
Don't let his saying of being old fool you people.  He is a force to be reckoned with and he just wants you think he's old so you will give him an edge.  Don't give in to his wiles, he's one sharp speed demon.  Professor, now you gotta go 222 with your mean green machine.  See you in Sept/Oct.

Guy

Guy! You forgot I am "PO" (cannot even afford both O's let alone the R) also :D (I did finally get my Mother's estate sold / settled) so I am now back to poor! :D

Remember I have my own "Jockey" (Randall at about 150 in leathers) after taking my bike out of Weight training with me on it at over 1/8 "TON"  :roll: Again, you did what you had to do and paid a "LOT" of dues to get there. I hope you get 225 out the back door tomorrow!

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2004, 04:46:22 AM »
Professor, can't be there today (Sunday).  Have to drive to Syracuse, leaving in 15 minutes.  It's 5:45 am here, My wifes father has emphysema and had another attack.  She wants to see him again.  Just in case, you know.  So I hope no one beats me today while I'm driving up to NY.

Talk to you soon,

Guy
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile