Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Steering shake a little  (Read 3054 times)

Offline tampated

• Post Whore
Steering shake a little
« on: April 25, 2004, 08:16:15 PM »
When I took my hands of the bars, I gat just a little steering woble (not much).  Can't I tighten down the steering neck bolt a little?
Ted....

Offline Rinaudo

• Rider
Steering shake a little
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 09:08:28 PM »
see if your tires are ballanced

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
Steering shake a little
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:06:58 AM »
Try and re-torque the stem nuts, if that won't help concider putting in tapered roller bearings instead of the stock ball bearings. I had the same problem and went through everything, finally changed the bearings and shake is gone.
Motorhead sells them for $45.
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Steering shake a little
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 05:47:48 PM »
Check rear axle torque and chain adjustment.  Also check the rear wheel bearings.  I had a wobble at about 45-60mph if I took my hands off the bars, checked everything including 2 sets of wheels/tires and constant balancing on different machines,  turned out to be a faulty rear wheel bearing that was spinning on the axle.  Put in two new sealed bearings(aftermarket) and polished the axle, all is perfect 15k miles later.  Also check the steering head adjustment.  More then likely its a tire or bearing problem.
2000 turbo-busa, RCC Stg 2 intercooled, 319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@28lbs
Texas Mile March 09, 225.906 mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14lbs

2013 BMW S1000rr, Brocks CT exh, 185hp

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
Steering shake a little
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 11:23:08 AM »
Quote from: ZX-ALAN
Check rear axle torque and chain adjustment.  Also check the rear wheel bearings.  I had a wobble at about 45-60mph if I took my hands off the bars, checked everything including 2 sets of wheels/tires and constant balancing on different machines,  turned out to be a faulty rear wheel bearing that was spinning on the axle.  Put in two new sealed bearings(aftermarket) and polished the axle, all is perfect 15k miles later.  Also check the steering head adjustment.  More then likely its a tire or bearing problem.

I went through everything first too, did all new wheel bearings, new tires, had the balanced several times(dynamic, static, and bubble). had an alignment tool made for the swing arm to axle to make sure everything was aligned, even had the wheels an tires checked on a wheel truer and tried heavier oil in the dampner. It was driving me nut's.
Hopefully you can get lucky with new wheel bearings or something simple.
It' a bitch to change the stem bearings.
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline E-RACER

• Universal Post Whore
Steering shake a little
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 01:47:53 PM »
I have 3 bike doing that same thing right now!!

Could it be the use of non stock bars ends??

Let us all know if you find the problem!!

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
Steering shake a little
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 09:13:09 AM »
Also, a cupped front tire will cause the bars to shake.