Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Explain Nitrous to me please!  (Read 4315 times)

Offline foresteronw

• Mad Post Whore
Explain Nitrous to me please!
« on: June 10, 2004, 08:22:57 PM »
Ok I am pretty sure I want to install a nitrous setup on my bike, 40HP or less.  Now I know that I can find a kit on here and that they are basically the same.  Here are the mods to my bike so far.   WEB cams, BDE GEN3 exhaust, Small Box mod, K&N Air Filter, PC3R, and soon to be short stacks.

Here are my questions;

1.  What is the difference between a Dry kit and a Wet kit?
2.  Will NOS kill my engine?
3.  Will I have to get my bike mapped again after the kit is installed.
4.  What is a NOS controller and are they worth the money for a 40 shot or less?
5.  Besides having to fill the bottle, what are the downsides to Nitrous?
6.  Is there anything else I have to do to my bike in order to succesfully and safely run Nitrous.

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
Re: Explain Nitrous to me please!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 01:30:59 AM »
Quote from: foresteronw

1.  What is the difference between a Dry kit and a Wet kit?
2.  Will NOS kill my engine?
3.  Will I have to get my bike mapped again after the kit is installed.
4.  What is a NOS controller and are they worth the money for a 40 shot or less?
5.  Besides having to fill the bottle, what are the downsides to Nitrous?
6.  Is there anything else I have to do to my bike in order to succesfully and safely run Nitrous.

Foresteronw
1. dry = add nitrous oxide ONLY to existing pleumchamber /extra fuel by existing injectors.  wet = injecting nitrous and extra fuel via direct port nozzles
2.only if you piss it off  ,seriously  if you use it incorrectly it will , usually by running to lean, set it up ok and its as good as gold
3. dry = yes  wet = not nessessary but benificial run fat and you should be ok
4. for a 40 hp shot forget it
5.short duration of the fun factor
6. with a 40 shot not really a stock busa motor will hack that amount no probs  maybe  retard the timing 1-2 degres  when on the bottle  ,  I ran an 80 shot ( wet ) on a stock motor without retard with no probs
hawkwind
the more I learn the less I know

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 06:29:07 AM »
Nitrous scares me.
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline foresteronw

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 08:10:27 AM »
Ok so the answer to #1 is that with the dry kit the nitrous is shot into the airbox and with the wet kit it is shot into the throttle boddies?  Is that correct or am I lost?  

What is the benefit between the two different systems.

Offline Bottlefed

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 08:35:31 AM »
DRY KIT = ONLY nitrous is added through the kit you hooked up, any additional fuel will be added by the vehicles fuel system.

WET KIT - BOTH nitrous AND fuel are added through the kit you hooked up.  There will be a nitrous solenoid AND a fuel solenoid.  You can adjust the amount af each by changing the size of the jets.  You need to tap into the vehicles fuel system to provide the nitrous kit with its fuel.

I hope this answers your question.

Offline foresteronw

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 08:40:29 AM »
very much so thank you.

so the easiest thing for me to do if I wanted to start of with nitrous is to get a wet kit.  i can run around a 40hp without too many worries, but I will have to get it mapped.  Does this sound pretty acurate?

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 09:28:08 AM »
Go with a Dry kit and you will have to get it mapped either way, that would be your easiest and cheepest. I switched from a dry to wet and lost 6hp from the restrictions from the foggers in the intake while on all motor pulls.
The draw back of the dry kit is that you will have to richen up your map with a power commander when you are going to spray it, or go with a Yosh EMS system(more money than a PC) and you will be able to toggle between different maps.

Check your PM's
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz