Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Goliad Mile - New Safety Requirements  (Read 12896 times)

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
Goliad Mile - New Safety Requirements
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:37:04 AM »
I Believe the Goliad Mile is still on for the weekend after The Texas Shoot Out Drags on July31. Anyone have the scoop on any new safety requirements for Goliad. I believe some of the tech car guys were talking about adding more requirements for motorcyclists such as no leathers with expantion joints, kill switches, safety wire, 2000 or newer helmets ect. I would like to go if the costs do not out wiegh the fun. The steering dampener last time burnt a significant hole in my pocket. Funds are looking slim :( . I would Like to save up for NOS or stroke and punch my 12 :D . With any new requirements I might have to blow all my coin and get my butt cheeks pierced so i can be saftey wired to my seat just to run in July! :shock:

I also heard that the car tech safety guys are considering eliminating motorcycles, if JohnnyCheese keeps putting those spinny things infront of busa's :P!

Offline austxbusa

• Rider
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 04:15:52 PM »
That's utter nonsense about the car nuts requiring butt piercings. :roll:  :no:

Why would safety wire be mandated after they've already said that five point seat belt harnesses would suffice for all motorcycle classes?:duh:

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 05:42:38 PM »
I'd like to know where all the "fast" Vipers are hiding - think a Vette has been top car both times.

Offline GONE-N-60-SEC

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 07:57:01 PM »
8) all i heard is that we have to have safety wires the next time we run.
i refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 09:52:57 PM »
They are not asking for anything crazy.

Nothing wrong with requiring a Snell 2000 requirement on the helmet.
Its 2004, almost time for another certification.

Kill switch?  A whole $50?  Maybe motorcycles are too expensive for you to have as a hobby?
"go ahead...bring your mama!"

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 07:38:52 AM »
Just sent my leathers to Bates for updates, leather patches over armpits and backs of knees where cloth WAS used.  Now they will be TOTALLY cowhide everywhere, no holes, no perfs, just cow.  Can't wait for the October Goliad event, I hear the Friday night BBQ is where it's at.

See you in October at both Goliad and Maxton.

Guy
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 09:24:49 AM »
Hey, turboblow take it easy there, maybe they will require you to get an 05 model bike to run after looking at your old rag :lol:. Just kidding! I am sure you are more than happy to drop 15k on your bike and gear, but I am not like Howard Hughes and you. I am just a poor old guy looking to keep things reasonable. I don't have your kind of credit either so I probably would not go to the dealer to buy a new bike and finance 5k worth of crap (leathers, helmet, pipe, steering damp, dyno, t-shirt, candy bar, soda, ect.) on a 10k bike. I know saftey is important, but things have to stay with in reason for us common folk. Thanks for your opinion governor :roll:

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 12:21:53 PM »
2fast4U2C, hope you make it to Texas in Oct. I wouldn't mind seeing that nitrous bike go 225+ :shock:. I would like to be out on my little scooter too. No where near 200 mph but maybe 175 :). I might have to send my leathers to bates also if there are further restrictions. Anybody else have the scoop on any new rules or regs? Last time they just kind of sprung up a couple of weeks before the mile run and caught me a little off guard. I also heard someone went down at maxton, but is OK. Also heard Leathers held out fairly well for speed. Does anyone know what kind of leathers, how thick, what kind of speed, did he stay on pavement, ect.? Might have a significant affect on new requirments for us in Texas :cry:?

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 12:18:22 AM »
TRN... ah you can be resourceful and pick up equipment used...with the exception of a helmet.

Last I checked, Ebay and Newenough were good sources for quality equipment at decent prices.

Whos says I have $15k invested in anything?   Fuck I bought my bikes well below retail and all my equipment.  
YOu have the floor again Mr Secretary....lol
"go ahead...bring your mama!"

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 08:27:29 AM »
UNLESS YOU HAVE BATES LEATHERS, they will not fix them. I even sent mine out there only to be told that they made a mistake (Union Shop where the Owner cannot tell them what to do and I am for Unions)

Barnacle Bill is the place that alters all leathers and makes very heavy leathers and does this for a reasonable price
http://www.racingleather.com/home/home.html

My last suit was made by Patty Perone and at the time (Early 80's) Bates would not put padding in Road Race Suits let alone even think about Armor. Her suit was a lot heavier than anyone elses. Bill suit is 3 pounds heavier than hers! He is also good at putting stretch panels for that extra loaf of bread some of us carry :D
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 09:13:19 AM »
Hey thanks for the scoop on the leather place. I purchased my stuff from new enough since I could not find any other outlets that had sizes to fit my double wide. Joe Rocket leathers, which have expansion joints in legs, back of knee, and crotch. They also have plastic zippers. Unfortunately I purchased these before Tech car guys said that they might change rules and require all leather coverings and metal zippers :cry:. Thanks for the tip VincentHill.

Oh yeah turboblue if you are that put out about spending 15K on your bike and goodies maybe you just can't afford this as a Hobby........lol :P
Sounds like you might be in the same situation I am in!

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 08:57:03 AM »
He only has Heavy Duty Metal Zippers and Heavy leather. I had to talk him out of his usual pratice of Putting a 2nd layer of leather any place he puts a Hole. Here is a picture of me in my 1980 Perone Leathers in 2002 at about 40 pounds heavier. He replaced the Arms and the area that was all green on the sides and altered the Croutch area for a Perfect fit!

The Price for the sides and crotch was about $130 To do a few more things like the Arms and new Zipperswas about $200 A Custom suit is between $800 and UP My new suit cost about $1,200 Here I am with the Sultan of Speed, Mr. Motorcycle himself, Scott Gutherie

Offline The Undertaker

• Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 12:51:32 PM »
So in english they want 100% full non-perf leathers in Goliad?

Non-perf leathers in Texas in JULY?

UT :twisted:
The Undertaker
"I'll be the last one to let you down"

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 10:40:55 PM »
Quote from: The Undertaker
So in english they want 100% full non-perf leathers in Goliad?

Non-perf leathers in Texas in JULY?

UT :twisted:

I cannot imagine it at Daytona in March either!

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 08:42:53 AM »
I GUESS YOU BETTER GET THAT MONKEY BUTT POWDER :oops: OUT FOR JULY RUN!

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 09:15:12 AM »
Maybe those land speed car guys don't want those cheap bikes beating them any more! Their trying to cook you all out of Goliad with new regs! Next run they may require 8mm thinsulated/goretech leathers and leather face mask under a 2006 helmet!  :shock:

TurboBlues and myself will surely be done for! :P

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2004, 10:53:18 AM »
Hey 2fast4u2c, I am considering a little nitrous for the goliad run and did not know what tech requirements were, are they the same as maxton? I think your bike has the bottle mounted by the rear foot peg. I would not mind a look like that either, but I did not know if tech regs required it to be mounted within a framed area (frame, tail section, or swing arm)? I am hoping to be able to spring for a little juice before Oct. I also think you have two bottles on your bike. How many runs do you get out of them, how long are you on the juice and how much additional HP are you making from nitrous. I would like to try and make 200mph. I am considering muzzy's stealth wet nitrous kit which is supposedly adjustable and rated for 30-70HP. I have a few other questions, but will post on nitrous board. thanks!

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2004, 07:12:39 AM »
I'm not totally sure about the Goliad rules, but the rules at Maxton are very clear if you run your bottles OUTSIDE the frame.  Prostar is also very clear on this.  You MUST have Crash Protection for your Valves.  Schnitz Racing sells these protection covers for the vertical valve bottles here.

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1941372&showprevnext=1

You can NOT run a bottle outside any frame rail without crash protection for your valves.  If you run your bottle inside the frame, under the hump, in the swingarm, etc. , you do not need this protection.

You can also get the bottle mounts for the footpegs here.

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1984424&showprevnext=1

I also safety wire all bolts on the footpeg mounts for the bottle brackets.

My 2 bottles last 1 run.  When you are on the juice for 18+ seconds with big jets, they tend to suck some pressure.  My tune-up is in the 325hp category w/1397 motor.  200 on motor, the rest N2O.

Guy
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2004, 08:10:13 AM »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
TWO BOTTLES! ONE RUN! THATS SOME JUICE!

:) Thanks for tip and websites.

Offline The Undertaker

• Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2004, 12:39:20 PM »
Finall ordered my leathers for Goliad next month. Now all I need is...MY BUSA!!!

Watch out y'all there's a new sheriff in town!

UT :P

Does anyone know if the leather requirements apply only the the unlimited division or if you show up with a moped they want full unvented leathers?

Thanks
The Undertaker

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2004, 12:49:30 PM »
I've attempted to read the rules and I don't think they (the writers) quite know what they want.  Makes it very difficult to know what to buy in the way of leathers.

Offline The Undertaker

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 01:58:26 PM »
FINALLY!

I spoke to the powers that be at "The Texas Mile" and there is no requirement for full unvented leathers. Shannon told me that they will be flexible with the riders keeping in mind the safety and well being of the participants. 2 piece zippered and 1 piece full leathers are okay vented is the bottom line. What they don't want is for people to show up in their jeans with a leather jacket and expect to run.

The helmets must meet the SNELL 95 minimum, so there's no 2002 requirement. Again, they don't want someone showing up with a 1970's Bell bubble shield helmet.

I'm so glad that I called. I can't use a solid leather for anything here in Texas and it would have been such a waste.

THANKS SHANNON!!!

UT :P
The Undertaker

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2004, 02:01:37 PM »
Good deal !!!

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2004, 04:47:45 PM »
COOL DEAL! I'll take that coin and see if JohnnyCheese has some time to hook me up with a little juice! Hope they don't change those rules a couple weeks before the runs like they did last time. Had to have steering dampener overnighted and have bike shop  :oops: put it on while I worked Sat. for Sun. run. I'll stop my whining, bitching and moaning.

KEEP US UP TO DATE ON ANY OTHER NEWS YOU GET!

Offline The Undertaker

• Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2004, 05:30:40 PM »
Quote from: TRNorBRN
COOL DEAL! I'll take that coin and see if JohnnyCheese has some time to hook me up with a little juice! Hope they don't change those rules a couple weeks before the runs like they did last time. Had to have steering dampener overnighted and have bike shop  :oops: put it on while I worked Sat. for Sun. run. I'll stop my whining, bitching and moaning.

KEEP US UP TO DATE ON ANY OTHER NEWS YOU GET!

I wouldn't worry about them changing the rules on us as long as we take care of our own. They're excited to have bikes there and they want even more participation on our part. They're good people and I assure you they'll work with us in anyway they can.

Do you have your NOS kit already? I have a complete top of the line NX wet kit that I have in the for sale section.

UT :wink:
The Undertaker