Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Ramifications of hitting rev limiter on the juice?  (Read 4470 times)

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
Ramifications of hitting rev limiter on the juice?
« on: June 23, 2004, 10:56:14 AM »
I am considering wet nitrous for my bike for high speed runs at the Goliad mile (190-200mph). If someone could explain to me what some of the ramifications might be if you are on nitrous and catch your rev limiter. Just wanted to know what I might be getting into. I am also curious if any one has ran nitrous for long periods like over 5-15 seconds and possibly those ramifications also. :D Thanks

Offline ScottinGA

• Rider
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 05:35:57 PM »
I saw a bike last week miss the shift from 1st to 2nd.....airshift malfunction.....sounded like a shotgun went off....bike rolled to a stop....and fired right back up.....he was lucky he didn't blow the head off of it!   :shock:

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
Re: Ramifications of hitting rev limiter on the juice?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 06:21:50 PM »
Quote from: TRNorBRN
I am considering wet nitrous for my bike for high speed runs at the Goliad mile (190-200mph). If someone could explain to me what some of the ramifications might be if you are on nitrous and catch your rev limiter. Just wanted to know what I might be getting into. I am also curious if any one has ran nitrous for long periods like over 5-15 seconds and possibly those ramifications also. :D Thanks

Not a good thing at all.  Because N2O will cause your bike to rev quicker, you should set your shift light to come on about 1,000rpm sooner and work from there until you feel comfortable at your shift points.  

The trick with Nitrous when shifting is NOT to short shift.  Your bike is sucking in air at a particular rpm when you shift.  If you shift to soon, your rpm will drop after the shift to a lower point.  Your Nitrous is still flowing the same as the high rpm on the shift point and the same after the shift at the lower rpm.  The trick is to shift at a point where your bike makes power after the shift.  Example, if you shift at 10,500 and the rpm falls to 8,200 at the beginning of the next gear, then you want to make a ton of power in the 8-9k range.  If you short shift and the rpm for the next gear starts at 7,200, your sucking in less air while shooting the same amount of N2O, you change the temp massively, you lug the motor terribly and you never recover the power wasted from the short shift.

Learn the nitrous curve of acceleration as compared to your normally aspirated curve of acceleration.  You will learn to shift quicker to catch the same shift point time after time.  You will go faster and be quicker.

As far as running N2O for a long time, I use 2ea.  2.5lb bottles and I am on the juice for at least 18 seconds on every run

Guy
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 09:16:00 AM »
Thanks for all the imput :)

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 09:34:23 AM »
I have one of those green things :cry: (ZX-12), and was probably going to purchase the wet set up specific for my bike from muzzy. Any coments on system. I am also concerned that at top speed there might be the possiblity of running lean from the ram air. I guess it is kind of hard to dyno a bike with 180+ worth of ram air. Is this a possiblity or mis-conception (increase in ram air relatively minimal)?

Offline TRNorBRN

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 04:50:31 PM »
I also was concerned about valve float, burning up valves, burning up the stock cast pistons, stock rods and bearings. I know that these are all possibilities, however I would like to minimize the likelihood as much as possible. The muzzy wet set up can be supposedly run safely up to 70HP on stock engine. I am curious if anyone has run nitrous at these levels on a stock engine for any long periods (real world stuff). What other problems might I encounter. Thanks!