Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Amo goes 240 at Bonneville  (Read 20088 times)

Offline landracing

• Rider
    • http://www.landracing.com
Amo goes 240 at Bonneville
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2004, 09:21:20 PM »
Quote from: VincentHill
Has anyone noticed that this is a "KAWASAKI"[/u] the man is riding?? Is this the one that also has the ZX12R body work also?

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2004, 09:43:35 PM »
Quote from: landracing
Has anyone noticed that this is a "KAWASAKI"[/u] the man is riding?? Is this the one that also has the ZX12R body work also?

Thanks for the update Jon..

Who would have thought that a KAWASAKI could be the FASTEST bike ever..Go Sam ! !! Single engine ZX-11 Turbo charged streamliner..Awesome.  I hope that Sam has enough tire and chain to put him over the top tomorrow morning..  :D those items I feel besides a meet being called for rain are the limiting factors right now.

And "little" Joe Amo, making Judie and the rest of the Amo's very proud with his  "15" year old vintage land speed bike..faster than 99 percent of the bikes at BONNE, MAXTON, TEXAS, and EL MIRAGE Wow way to go. :kickass:

Thanks for the great info JON, for those like myself and others you are our solitary means of accurate up to date info from Bonneville. :beechug:

Thanks.

John
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2004, 09:48:53 PM »
Stolen without permission from LANDRACING.COM...thanks Jon..
Evening Runs

We were spoiled again today with rain that shut the courses down around 3:30 pm. Standing water at start line about 2" closed the meet forthe night. Down course it did not rain however. Herbert/Steen made a test pass finally this afternoon at 272 mph pass. Everything looked good, just a few adjustments and driver Clayton Steen says they are ready for a 400 mph run. Tomorrow can be history for Sam Wheeler and EZHOOK motorcycle streamliner running 330 mph with an exit speed of 338. He is going for the outright motorcycle speed of 322 mph. Haas Racing also made a qualifing run with the old Arivette liner running only the front engine in B/BGS at 288 mph. No Nitro Hammond roadster also qualified again in same class of E/BGMR at 249 mph. Tom Thumb Special again qualified on their new record with a speed of 243.8 mph, 250 mph in this car is withing reach say Tom Bryant. McDonald/Pitts who could not backup their return run this morning qualified even faster at 295 in the AA/FALT Pontiac Firebird. Bob Moreland with his twin engined unlimited siton motorcycle made a full pass running 184 mph.

While the pits are getting thinner there are new people still coming. Hank Booth showed up with two very powerfull turbo Haybusa's. And Mike Akins showed up with his twin engined Hayabusa powered motorcycle streamliner. Going to do some shakedown runs with it, in preparation for the BUB Motorcycle meet on the salt flats in September.

Hopefully the wind will move some water tonight and we can continue racing tomorrow.

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 12:42:27 AM »
Quote from: landracing

The front half of the bike sure looks like a Suzuki...  Gues they know Kawasaki bodywork wasn't aero dynamic enough?

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2004, 06:52:59 AM »
GND111 you need to quit starring at your BUSA because the retained image has distorted your view of the world. That is an aftermarket ZX12 Body in front without the ZX12R Airscoop but they did retain the Winglets which you can see above the Airfilter "If" you want to see them.  ALso here are his "Own" words when he was looking for a different Shield for the bike on Labusas ZX12 site!

for early model zx12's

at 221 mph with 998 cc's and zx12 upper and lowers, I could feel alot
of blast on helmet, with DB I felt in the pocket
of cleaner air

anyone want to get rid of one??

Doug, I will try to let you know how much difference
there is, hoping for more consistency to really think
I know what did what :):)

Joe :)
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2004, 07:59:46 AM »
Vincent,

There were no winglets on the bodywork. That was custom made for the turbo on the left side, the right side has none. It was an aftermarket set of ZX12 bodywork from A-Tech out of Japan.

Scott where do you see Danno went 240? He didnt, must be a typo, his best speed that I am aware so far is 217 mph.

Joe Amo is fastest siton bike of meet at 244.4 mph so far, come on Hank. Hank is line with the original black busa that motorhead went 245 mph on.

Jon

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2004, 08:18:04 AM »
Thanks Jon! !

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2004, 10:23:24 AM »
Thanks, I was sure it was a ZX12 Body and looking st the area around the Airfilter I saw 2 places that stuck out from the fairing, the front was out more than the rear like an airfoil and they had a top and bottom, just looked like what I would call a "Winglet". I could not see the otherside in the pictures. I stand corrected.

I also think the reason the bike is going fast is more Aerodynamics than HP. From looking at the picture, I think the speed is all "IN" the tail section. We all have been told that if you can remove the Radiator from in front and do not need to flow air through it, the bike will go a lot faster. I used a large tail section when I Road Raced an Air Cooled engined bike and mounted the Oil Cooler in the tail section. From putting streamers on the Grill, I found that the air flowed backward Through it. The Air entered at the rear and exited out the top of the seat from the vaccum created by me being there in front of it.  Since I do not see exits for the air out of the side of the bike and a larger than normal seat that is open at the rear, that is my thinking?

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2004, 11:52:50 PM »
Scott, I do stand corrected, They did 5 records, and that was with one rain day. Jason McVicar is going to do it with a good run tomorrow. HE qualified in the MPS/G 1000cc at 195. Also Robert Steele ran that class and qualified at 188.4 mph. The Hayabusa powered Streamliner first pass at 161 mph, they were in line again to make a 200 mph run. By the WAY Sam Wheeler piloting his EZ HOOK Streamliner became the FASTEST MOTORCYCLE IN THE WORLD with speeds of 334 and 330 with an average of 332, surpassing the old world record by 10 mph at least. Also Green Goblin ZX12 went 205, 5 mph down from earlier run, making gearing change and more nitrous tomorrow. Jack Christer on his 750cc MPS/BG bike got into the 2 club at 209 mph. Jack hurt several pairs of Michelin Pilot Sports, chuncking a few of them. These were non shaved tires. John Minnono is done was fastest speed of 226 mph due to computer problems. Bob Moreland is done with his Twin Engine 5000cc Harley due to eating a few transmission problems. Hank is there just hasnt gotten to run yet. Showed up yesterday. With a few tech problems delayed his running. Joe Amo went another 232 pass. Making adjustments and trying again. Ed Mabry triumph powered bike went 224 in APS/PBF. Dave Matson trying again after clutch problems on his 1956 Nitro Fueled Vincent. He posted a 197 mph run but hurt clutch in process. This guy is over 70 years old. So wrenching takes awhile, and he and his wife are not afraid of taking a day off. Kent Riches motorcycle streamliner is done for the event, his new sportster powerplant is blowing oil. Havent heard about Danno, he did make one pass today at 217 mph. The Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner is done due to blower problems, but they did however make it down the complete track. The Team ARROW motorcycle liner was a no start last time at the line.

More to come tomorrow.

Jonathan

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2004, 12:22:48 AM »
GND111 you need to quit starring at your BUSA because the retained image has distorted your view of the world. That is an aftermarket ZX12 Body in front without the ZX12R Airscoop but they did retain the Winglets which you can see above the Airfilter "If" you want to see them.  ALso here are his "Own" words when he was looking for a different Shield for the bike on Labusas ZX12 site!

for early model zx12's

at 221 mph with 998 cc's and zx12 upper and lowers, I could feel alot
of blast on helmet, with DB I felt in the pocket
of cleaner air

anyone want to get rid of one??

Doug, I will try to let you know how much difference
there is, hoping for more consistency to really think
I know what did what :):)

Respectfully Mr Hill -- how could i stop staring at a beautiful Busa?  best looking mass production bike ever made.  Jst saying if you look at the nose drop angle and the lines that would go to the rear view mirror area it is very similar looking to the Busa design and hence the more aerodynamic properties is is said to have...

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2004, 09:49:46 PM »
Meet has ended.

Last interesting notes on the bike side, Hank unloaded and went like 222 mph, then added a bunch of weight and went 237 mph. His other busa running naked got a record, but later was disqualified because they did not go straight to impound, they went to pick up other bike on long course end, from the short course. That sucks, but rules state one hour and straight to impound. JoeA went another 239 mph in last ditch efforts for a "homemade" water injection for last attempt. Ack Attack hayabusa liner went 210 mph so for first time out, did not dump liner on any of three trips and using car tires very good first outing. Look out Bub Event.
McVicar was able to get the 6 records in the meet, was on track for a seventh on last day, qualified but turned down to go faster to qualify and he went slower. But a very successfull event for him big thumbs up. Danno split somewhere???

Jon

Offline wedrivezs

• New User!
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2004, 01:26:02 AM »
Quote from: gnd111

The front half of the bike sure looks like a Suzuki...  Gues they know Kawasaki bodywork wasn't aero dynamic enough?

I painted the bike, and my good friend scott did all the recent 'glass work (molding in the air filter and turbo outlet.)  I ride a ZX-12, and the front end is surely a ZX12 with some of Joe's ideas on AERO improvements.  I am very proud to say that I helped joe out, for he is truley one of the nicest guys out there.

WAY TO GO AMO!!!! :D  :D  :D
Wheelie bars are for motorized barstools, only a wussie would put them on his bike.

Offline Hank

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2004, 04:34:46 AM »
Last interesting notes on the bike side, Hank unloaded and went like 222 mph, then added a bunch of weight and went 237 mph. His other busa running naked got a record, but later was disqualified because they did not go straight to impound, they went to pick up other bike on long course end, from the short course. That sucks, but rules state one hour and straight to impound.

I just got in.Congrats you guys again.the bike went 229+ and 237+ after 90 lbs was added.The gearing needs changed as it had not been changed
from here,with the dyno tire on it.I was seriously ill when we left was not able to properly supervise the packing,and did quite a few things wrong(again),but actually,the bike ran well and had no fuel stumbles that have
plauged me.I actually qualified it on my fuel record,but after all the bad luck during the week,when my visor came up while accelerating at 237,I decided to go home,rest up,and set up properly for Bubs.I feel bad for Chris,as he worked very hard all week also,to be denied the record.I only made 2 passes on the bike,but at least data logged everything for tuning use.I went down with it set up fairly soft,and will dyno it once to see where it was at compared to when I left and post it.Time for bed.
Arcane WorldWide Racing,
home of the 701 hp Hayabusa,
and the"Original Ghetto"Banana™©®.

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2004, 10:44:30 AM »
Quote from: wedrivezs
Quote from: gnd111

I painted the bike, and my good friend scott did all the recent 'glass work (molding in the air filter and turbo outlet.)  I ride a ZX-12, and the front end is surely a ZX12 with some of Joe's ideas on AERO improvements.  I am very proud to say that I helped joe out, for he is truley one of the nicest guys out there.

WAY TO GO AMO!!!! :D  :D  :D

I'm not knocking the accomplishment but it's you people who are blind.  I 've had 3 people look at the pic and tell me they thought it was a Busa as well at first glance... :roll:

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2004, 03:37:15 PM »

Since you cannot see the scoop in this picture, you can see that the 2 are the same except the "Hand Covers" that were added to the JoeA Bike. Afraid to see that the Kawasaki ZX12R has a similar design but without the Bugly?

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2004, 06:07:32 PM »

Since you cannot see the scoop in this picture, you can see that the 2 are the same except the "Hand Covers" that were added to the JoeA Bike. Afraid to see that the Kawasaki ZX12R has a similar design but without the Bugly?

I can see the likeness in that pic you posted.  Guess i'm used to seeing that UGLY ASS Green!!!  hahaha   Hate to tell you -- 12's look like dog ass compared to Busa's... :lol:

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2004, 07:06:52 PM »
My Confession is, Until you brought it up, I never saw any resemblence! Now, without the scoop and adding the hand covers, a lot closer in the front that anyone would have thougth! The 12's areo problem is still that it needs to be wider which this one seems to be!

Offline joea

• Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2004, 09:41:07 PM »
thanks John and Michelle, Guy,  Scotty G. Hank,  Vincent (my "brother")  and others for the kudos,  were trying........

""""scott g wrote:

So let me ask you: If your bike went 226 MPH with only nitrous, why is it going 10 MPH SLOWER on turbo? Why isn't it going 235-240 MPH with turbo and nitrous, like that class allows?  """"

Boost is good, but Motivation is even more powerfull :)..................

Hank, FastGix Christer, Eric M. and others were out there busting their
butts,  it will soon pay off,  Bonneville takes a little, and at times gives
a little.........

I tried John N. to catch you but no such luck,  the salt is ready for you and
others to really post some big numbers...........I will have to keep beating on this thing and see what happens.........

ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2004, 11:37:05 PM »
Quote from: joea
thanks John and Michelle, Guy,  Scotty G. Hank,  Vincent (my "brother")  and others for the kudos,  were trying........

""""scott g wrote:

So let me ask you: If your bike went 226 MPH with only nitrous, why is it going 10 MPH SLOWER on turbo? Why isn't it going 235-240 MPH with turbo and nitrous, like that class allows?  """"

Boost is good, but Motivation is even more powerfull :)..................

Hank, FastGix Christer, Eric M. and others were out there busting their
butts,  it will soon pay off,  Bonneville takes a little, and at times gives
a little.........

I tried John N. to catch you but no such luck,  the salt is ready for you and
others to really post some big numbers...........I will have to keep beating on this thing and see what happens.........

Joe you had an awesome week, and you have a decade more experiance than Michelle and I do.

I am so happy you had a Phenomenal week, we can't think of a  person more deserving than you.

Again, Congrats and a big hug from Michelle and I.

Tell Judie, and Jon hello.

Jon Thank you for the hourly updates and phones calls to me at work, you knew I was sitting at JE wondering what was going on...

Thanks! !

John

PS. Dave Newby you will be missed by many..RIP.

J

Offline RZ350

• Post Master
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2004, 01:14:35 AM »
Congrats Joe, Very impressive runs!! :thumb:

I tried to find you in the pits, but I didn't have much time to look.

I talked to Jon for a bit, he wasn't sure where you were at, I'm sure I'll run into you in the future!;)

Again, congrats!
1650CC APS-BG  record, 236.814 MPH at Bonneville.

242 MPH GPS

Offline joea

• Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2004, 10:07:54 AM »
rz, yeah,  we try to keep our pits in the trailer, impound,
or at the motel 6

John and Michelle, the salt is ready for you..........

ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline BiggerDanno

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • HOW FAST IS FAST?
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2004, 08:27:24 PM »
Quote from: SPEED KING Parts Slut

Danno told me he had run over 240 plus today... :roll:

John

You got crap in yer ears...I never said that! (I wish I could go that fast)

What I probably said was that I wanted to go that fast.

Full story later....
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams...John Barrymore

Too much power is addictive!!!

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2004, 08:56:32 PM »
Quote from: BiggerDanno
Quote from: SPEED KING Parts Slut

Danno told me he had run over 240 plus today... :roll:

John

You got crap in yer ears...I never said that! (I wish I could go that fast)

What I probably said was that I wanted to go that fast.

Full story later....

Not you Danno, Joe Amo..when I spoke with you had told me that Joe had run 240...when at that time he had run 237..

Silly...

J

Offline FastGixx

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2004, 09:51:16 AM »
congrats to everyone who was there giving it their best and it was a pleasure to meet many of you.  I had a great time and it was a great learning experience as well.   I just got home a few min ago and im whooped.   time to take a nap and then go cut grass n stuff.. lol.   amo did a great job out there.   he worked hard over a long period of time to run the speeds he did and if anyone deserves it it would be him. good job man!   :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline FastGixx

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2004, 08:01:12 PM »
:roll:  :roll: IMPOUND – The Impound area is in the pits adjacent to where the technical inspections are conducted. If any vehicle has qualified to make the second segment of a record run the next morning by exceeding the existing record, the vehicle and timing slip MUST be taken directly to the appropriate impound area within one hour of qualification run. Check in to impound by presenting your timing slip to impound officer, who will note your arrival time and attach the slip to a "record certification card". There is a 4 hour time limit for working on your car while in the impound area, however the work done must comply with the current rules. If race vehicle successfully sets new record as a result of second segment performance (morning run), it again must be taken directly to the certification area (at the technical inspection lanes) for engine measurement, body certification and record certification within one hour. Give the certification officer timing slip to note arrival time and speeds. :roll:  :roll: