Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Another 'First Bike' Post  (Read 510 times)

Offline aaaaaaa

• Rider
Another 'First Bike' Post
« on: October 05, 2004, 06:30:37 PM »
As it may already seem apparent, after seeing some of the things on this forum (and the internet in general), I really want a Hayabusa.  Problem is, I have not owned a bike before.
And before the traditional response, at least hear me out.

I have really no experience on a motorcycle.  Yeah, I've done ATVs and stuff a little, but no REAL experience.  I am going to take the MSF course in about two weeks regardless of what I am getting.  I actually plan to take the beginner course twice, no matter what, and then the advanced course (if a friend will loan me a bike to use) at least twice.  I figure the money is well worth it.

I understand the dangers of a motorcycle.  My dad's friend died on one, and several accidents in the family have been motorcycle-related.  I do not mean to question the laws of physics, or anyone's personal experience, but could a Hayabusa by okay if you just don't push it really hard?  If you don't MAKE it go fast, it won't.  Is it the potential power of the bike that makes it so notorious as a first bike?  I have heard the weight changes a lot of things... and this I can understand more.  I think last I heard, 450 dry.  That is a lot.  It would indeed be hard to maneuver around, but is it something you can get used to, just as you would on a lighter bike?

The whole thing is that I want the Hayabusa for different reasons than most do.  I have a bunch of friends that say, "Yea, man, if I had that thing, I'd race from the cops, for fun!"  Considering the situation, I don't think I'd take it out of second for a while.  It is very difficult to now know what the best bike that exists is, and then go buy something you know cannot even compare.  I do not have as much money as most, and cannot afford to upgrade bikes every year or so... for me, this purchase will be a really big deal.  It almost seems to me that riding the Hayabusa and the Hayabusa only would make sort of a better-with-time kind of deal, where I don't even go over 65 for a few months.  I have heard of this temptation, and despite what many say, this is the only thing I can honestly say for sure: temptation would not be a reason for me to get myself killed.  If 65 feels slow on a Hayabusa, I know I would realize that 65 is about average in a car: a shield of metal that surrounds me.  I have the willpower to make it not as fast and get everything together while I am still new.  If I get a CBR or something, and 65 feels fast, then it would be fun.  If 35 felt fast on something, I'd just swallow it and bring the bike to the speed limit.  So I am trying to look at the purchase more objectively, in terms of the bike's weight and other factors like that.

What it comes down to is that the Hayabusa was really cool to me, then I started checking out these forums, and then it became a possible future for me.  At the same time, I'm seeing a lot of "NO WAY LOL NO HAYABUSA FIRST BIKE YOULL DIE :-)" all over the place.  You see dead kids on their bikes in the news every day, yes, but how much does buying a 600cc instead of a Hayabusa decrease the risk of crashing/injury/death?  (That sounded rhetorical, but I am really asking.)  Because either way, you're going the same speed as a car when you fall off it.

And lastly (this went on a lot longer than I thought it would), if you cannot recommend the Hayabusa, could you give other suggestions?  I used to be a huge fan of the CBR series, and the GSX-R 750s look nice, but not sure if anyone would recommend one of those.  I really would not want to get anything less powerful/good than a 600.