Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Why no 200 mph stock???  (Read 7125 times)

Offline quickcarl

• Rider
Why no 200 mph stock???
« on: October 05, 2004, 07:03:42 PM »
I have been reading posts on various forums of guys with Busas having to spray them or do mods or power adders to get to 200mph. I thought this bike was 200mph capable in unrestricted but still bone stock form. I just bought the baddest bike and there are doubts in my head as to whether it is actually as bad as I once thought. What gives??
you might lose me in the turns, but I make you pay in the straightaway !!!

Offline BiggerDanno

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • HOW FAST IS FAST?
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 10:07:01 PM »
The bike, when it first came out, would do anywhere from 193-197. In the later years (after 2000), they are restricted from the factory and will only do 186. This restriction can be removed with a TRE and then it will do as the earlier bikes, 193--197.

Why won't it do 200? Not enough power.

BTW, the speedo will show quite a bit more speed than you are actually going.
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams...John Barrymore

Too much power is addictive!!!

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
Re: Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 12:30:35 AM »
Quote from: quickcarl
I have been reading posts on various forums of guys with Busas having to spray them or do mods or power adders to get to 200mph. I thought this bike was 200mph capable in unrestricted but still bone stock form. I just bought the baddest bike and there are doubts in my head as to whether it is actually as bad as I once thought. What gives??

It does have the highest top speed of any stock machine ever achieved. No other bike has equalled the Busa's best top speed, in stock unrestricted form to date. In that respect it is the baddest bike to date. It also is the quickest bike to date. In same day, same rider 1/4 mile testing, no other bike has been quicker.  

And like Dan said, the speedo's on all bikes are very optimistic, especially at high speeds. Get a GPS so you can see your actual speed.

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 08:20:45 AM »
Carl, the problem is at Maxton we are trying to do it from a dead stop in 1 mile. AT Bonneville they are trying to do it at 5,000+ feet at over 100 degrees temp without any secure traction.

If we had 4 miles of pavement at sea  level on a 50 degree day most of the bikes would be a lot closer, plus most of us are no Jockeys!
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:44:02 AM »
plus most of us are no Jockeys!

I hear ya Professor

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 06:55:31 PM »
Quote from: BiggerDanno
The bike, when it first came out, would do anywhere from 193-197. In the later years (after 2000), they are restricted from the factory and will only do 186. This restriction can be removed with a TRE and then it will do as the earlier bikes, 193--197.

With a very light rider and a small tail wind...  Most seem to run in the 188-190 range on GPS...

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 07:16:53 PM »
Quote from: gnd111

With a very light rider and a small tail wind...  Most seem to run in the 188-190 range on GPS...

I know that Dan had his bike to 194 on gps, bone stock. And he's not a small guy.

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 09:48:10 AM »
Quote from: 02SE
Quote from: gnd111

I know that Dan had his bike to 194 on gps, bone stock. And he's not a small guy.

But if you read on here -- most bikes aren't getting that...

Offline BiggerDanno

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • HOW FAST IS FAST?
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 10:41:30 AM »
I think the biggest restriction to going 194 or more on a stock Busa is usually the altitude. My same bike that has run 194 will only do 178 out in the desert at 3000 ft elevation.
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams...John Barrymore

Too much power is addictive!!!

Offline gforcejunkie

• Post Master
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 06:16:06 PM »
Quote from: VincentHill
Carl, the problem is at Maxton we are trying to do it from a dead stop in 1 mile. AT Bonneville they are trying to do it at 5,000+ feet at over 100 degrees temp without any secure traction.

If we had 4 miles of pavement at sea  level on a 50 degree day most of the bikes would be a lot closer, plus most of us are no Jockeys!

True dat. Same thing in Goliad. It ain't cheap or easy to do 200 in 1 mile from a dead stop. I weigh about 165 and couldn't get a nos-assisted busa but to only 187.8. A tail-wind would have helped. I only sprayed 6th and the bottle was almost empty, but still...

Also, the speedo is about 20mph off at the higher speeds. So, 180 indicated is really more like 160 actual. There's also a lot of people that believe in the theoretical mph shown in sprocket tables. Believe me, it's a big disappointment when you've been riding a while and then go to a 1 mile event and see what you actually run compared with what you thought you were running.

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 09:52:51 PM »
----------------
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline quickcarl

• Rider
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 12:32:18 AM »
Quote from: 2fast4u2c

200+mph came to Dave owens who holds the fastest aspirated record at Maxton of 211 on all motor.  A big motor, but still all motor.

How big of a motor??
you might lose me in the turns, but I make you pay in the straightaway !!!

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 06:44:33 AM »
-----------------
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline Bergie

• Rider
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 08:16:51 AM »
I've ridden both a 100% production stock hayabusa and a 100% production stock ZX12R at Maxton on the same day, they both turned in the 182-184 mph range, that's stock gearing, stock engine, stock exhaust, no mods.  Only mirrors removed.

I've also run two different stock ZX12Rs both with just an aftermarket pipe, no other mods, 194mph at Maxton.

Scott can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Muzzys Doug Meyer tipped 199mph on a stock 12R at Maxton, but that was on an "extended course" where they didn't use the official mile markings, they started further back where the lanes normally begin, it was a private non-record event.

I believe the production record is 197 but that's an internally modified engine with externally stock appearance running thru stock exhaust, so technically it's legal for "production" class but it's not stock by any means.

Point is everyone's definition of "stock" seems to vary.  Even the rules for "production" class don't equate to "stock".
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH
ECTA 200-Club 202.593 MPH
former drag racer - dontbescaredracing.com (retired)

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 09:23:46 AM »
I too have looked at and spoken to Doug about the 199+ at Maxton. They actually started on the taxiway to the right of the Grid and made a left turn at about 30 to 40 Mph (As fast as he could without tuching the front end) and ran through the staging area across the Start line (I do not know the speed there but I would think that by then they would have at least 80 to 100 mph in hand) and on to the regular course where the finish line was pushed back about 1/2 the distance to the 1st turn out. They and I believe that the bike would have gone over 100 if the temp had been less than the 97 to 99 degrees it was on that day.

How they did it does not matter because the "only" thing they were testing was "Top SPeed" on an "Internally Stock) 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Bergie

• Rider
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 12:18:54 PM »
Scott your 192+ record at Maxton on the production engine Hayabusa is very impressive.  Nobody has been able to touch it, like you said without internal modification.  I know that the busa that currently holds the production class record(s) has a larger than stock displacement and significantly more power just running thru stock exhaust so it's not as impressive as your original 192 and change.  That's a solid 8 mph than my best on a similarly equipped zx12.
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 04:42:12 PM »
Quote from: RAC4IT
Scott your 192+ record at Maxton on the production engine Hayabusa is very impressive.  Nobody has been able to touch it, like you said without internal modification.  I know that the busa that currently holds the production class record(s) has a larger than stock displacement and significantly more power just running thru stock exhaust so it's not as impressive as your original 192 and change.  That's a solid 8 mph than my best on a similarly equipped zx12.

10 MPH Faster than me on my 12.

Offline Bergie

• Rider
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 07:32:18 AM »
Quote from: VincentHill
10 MPH Faster than me on my 12.

And your bike has a pipe and tuning and 175+ rwhp!  Scotts Busa was showroom stock through stock exhaust.  That's why I think that's one of the most impressive records set.  

Records are getting harder to come by these days, which makes it more interesting to me to see what people are doing to break them.  Especially for those seeking 200 club status.  

For me there is a lot to be learned.  But I definitely have plans for next season.  I'll be shooting for some 1000cc records, and my goal is also to join the naked 200 club next season as well.   There are currently only 4 members; Scott, the two Todds and Wayne, and I plan to do it on a non-turbo bike.
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 11:50:23 PM »
There is a reason Sir Guthrie holds so many records....lol  (its not from lack of experience)  :lol:

Admittedly, for a showroom stock bike...that is impressive.
"go ahead...bring your mama!"

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Why no 200 mph stock???
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »
Quote from: Cookie
Quote from: Cookie
Guy, if you keep deleting your posts how will we know when you had anything to say?  :duh:  :mrgreen:

I do not think that Guy "Deleted" his Posts! I think (but do not know) that someone either deleted them or Banned him?