Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: I finally raced the VIRTUAL WORKS supra...  (Read 52483 times)

Offline NICKSLICK

• Mad Post Whore
    • http://www.websitemonster.com/nico/movies
I finally raced the VIRTUAL WORKS supra...
« on: October 11, 2004, 12:59:42 AM »
stories to follow, photos, and a video, and much debate Im sure.

Im not gonna say anything about what happened... Ill let you guys see it for yourself, but I will say this, it was the RACE of my life...

kerry, danno, mike, please chime in!

NOTE: NO SUPRA BASHING PLEASE. Lets keep the trash talk to a minimum... they will be watching our threads as we watch theres... lets keep it civil PLEASE.

MY ANIMATED GIRLY GIF IS BETTER THAN YOURS PUNK. (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)

Offline DJ

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 02:25:53 AM »
hey for the cost of that supra blah blah blah

bet it cant beat a turbo busa blah blah blah

:twisted:

ah that wasn't called for now was it.

tell us more about this Supra, 1000hp? 1200? 1400?
Do you have a kiss for Daddy?

Offline Nomad

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 02:40:46 AM »
A lot happened in the last two days!
It started when we busted in on the Supra whiz bang event in Vegas baby. Sat night we show up at the drag strip to shoot a few of  these bad ass Supras we have HEARD so much about.

Nothing remarkable. No 8 sec passes, a couple of high 9 passes I saw but most everything is over 10 sec including all the usual variety of bikes.

We talk to a few of these guys to warm em up but they are all busy pounding numbers into the laptops and moaning about an assortment of ails.

We went cos four or five said they would run us. We get there and we cant nail down anyone. One the faster guys, Marco is acting like a primadonna and finally refuses to run, period. Then all the smack talking starts cos they wanna run on their home turf which is in town. Some even wanna run on the 15 at night!

We wanna go out into the desert where there are no cops and no other traffic. but they cant go cos they dont have enough high octane fuel to get there and road is rough and wa wa wa......so we finally agree to go to their regular meet place next morning.

We are there on time, ready to race, ready to shoot .... no Supras.
After and hour even their own guys are telling us they wussed out on us. Most of them did not show. There was a nice Ferrari there, a cool vette and a 6 speed Supra who knew he could not beat a stock busa. These guys were cool and two of em agreed to come out into the desert so we could shoot em.

We tell em we heard they had a bone fide Busa beater. Then one guy says he has a 9 sec car at home and is willing to race us. Daniel was super nice and his car was great. He was making about 800Hp. We told him we just wanted to find a car that really could beat a stock busa. He said he thought he could do it. Great.

Now we have seen some heavy duty cars this year, Vettes, Vipers, Mani's Supra but nothing has walked away from a stock busa. Usually the busa jumps out in front and then at about 160 or so the car starts to reel it in.

All the vids we see are shot at night and you cant tell what is going on. Could a Supra really pull a Busa? We wanted a car that pulled a busa all the way.... a car that is undeniably faster than a stock busa. Hard to find!

So we head out the their road. The traffic is regulated by a light so there is nothing on it when ya go. I still didnt like the location. A cop could easily be coming the other way and you come up on traffic. Anyways we roll down to the bridge and punch it..... the next bridge is .7 miles away.

These cars are 3 speed automatics geared for the strip with a 158mph top end. So we raced Dannos stocker to start with. The first race, the start was uneven. Danno got ahead before the Supra hit it and stayed there. Both agreed the start was not even so we waited for a while to let the Supra cool down and then ran it again.

This time the Supra seemed stronger. The rear tires lit up, the back end is sliding around and he pulls away from Danno all the way to the red line. No dispute. Both agreed it was a fair start and the Supra beat the Stock Busa. The first car to do so. Congratulations Daniel. Fantastic car.

Next the Turbo busa races him with predictable results. No contest.

It is now 2pm and Nick still has not run a Supra but we are told there is one on the way...
Not all who wander are lost...

Offline NICKSLICK

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 03:00:35 AM »
the plot thickens...  :lol:

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 03:38:34 AM »
first off I am a bike guy.
their was one running 8's on saturday night at the strip.  Also one dynoed something like 1140hp a friends that was their told me.
You can't get traction worth a shit on the roads down their.  I run a pirelli super soft slick and did nothing but spin the shit out of it every where.  If that is I15 heading towards the strip I did manage to get some decent traction their.  
Their were not any fast bikes at the strip for the motor cycle mayham.  One stock wheel base turbo busa running from a 10.7 to a best of 10.3 @ 147.  Pretty weak.  I ran a best of 9.995 @ 147.  Still having nitrous issues as I am still trying to get it figured out.  I was 119mph at the 1/8th.  I am buy no means good, but practicing and getting better.  Fastest run believe it or not was a 2001 R1.  9.48 @ 147 in eleminations.  Made him stop running because he did not have a 9 second liscense.  In motorcycle mayham they let him race.  Best part was my buddy on 02 gsxr 1000 stock wheel base with strap on front raced the R1 and beat him with a 9.7X @ 150.  The R1 had a better et 9.68 @ 148 I think, but chris treed him.  
I had a good time and hit my goal of a 9, but would have liked to have done better.  I got 2 10.0's and 2 10.1's also.  I did not get time slips for 4 runs though.  2 of them I think I would have been very happy with.  They were fucking every body on the time slips.  People not getting them and getting the wrong ones.  I chewed out every body I saw and even went in the tower. :x

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 03:38:57 AM »
their was one running 8's on saturday night at the strip.  Also one dynoed something like 1140hp a friends that was their told me.
You can't get traction worth a shit on the roads down their.  I run a pirelli super soft slick and did nothing but spin the shit out of it every where.  If that is I15 heading towards the strip I did manage to get some decent traction their.  
Their were not any fast bikes at the strip for the motor cycle mayham.  One stock wheel base turbo busa running from a 10.7 to a best of 10.3 @ 147.  Pretty weak.  I ran a best of 9.995 @ 147.  Still having nitrous issues as I am still trying to get it figured out.  I was 119mph at the 1/8th.  I am buy no means good, but practicing and getting better.  Fastest run believe it or not was a 2001 R1.  9.48 @ 147 in eleminations.  Made him stop running because he did not have a 9 second liscense.  In motorcycle mayham they let him race.  Best part was my buddy on 02 gsxr 1000 stock wheel base with strap on front raced the R1 and beat him with a 9.7X @ 150.  The R1 had a better et 9.68 @ 148 I think, but chris treed him.  
I had a good time and hit my goal of a 9, but would have liked to have done better.  I got 2 10.0's and 2 10.1's also.  I did not get time slips for 4 runs though.  2 of them I think I would have been very happy with.  They were fucking every body on the time slips.  People not getting them and getting the wrong ones.  I chewed out every body I saw and even went in the tower. :x

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 03:39:27 AM »

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 03:41:19 AM »
sorry for all the posts.  internet server is screwing up. :x

Offline Nomad

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 03:43:16 AM »
Then this bad boy shows up...

This is the car we hoped to see run. We heard it has run 8.5. It is built by Dana, who also built the car that just beat the stock busa. The tension rises as we all start to speculate on the long awaited match between Nick and Dana......... but the first, the Supra must cool.... and cool.... and cool.....

The guys that are left now, are local, and really nice. If the race was sex, this was definatly the foreplay. Most of these guys have spent more than 2years building these cars and some are still in the process. They all know what it takes to beat a stock Busa, but Nick's bike is a mystery.... Nitrous... all motor..... Big Bore.... carbon fibre.....

We thanked Dana for coming out. Out of all the Supra guys he has the most to loose. He builds and races these things for a living, yet here he is. Now he is putting his reputation where his mouth is. He is nervous. Nick is edgy. but the race is ON!

What happens next needs to be seen on video. Stills and a description just do not do it justice. My heart was pounding on this one. You could feel the adrenaline in these guys. It was amazing.

When it was over, Dana had the biggest smile and said he only ever had one race that was that good. The air was electric. Everyone is talking. I have never seen Nick ride like that. Even the car guys were commenting on it. What a race.

We have it from three angles. In car. Chase bike and bridge. I think Tilt has stills from the side too. I am sure the "in car" will be up on the Supra site soon. I hope tilt posts the Chase bike and the bridge guy posts his angle too.
Not all who wander are lost...

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 03:44:33 AM »
turbo busa had a pretty low mph for the 275 horse power he said it had.  148mph compared to my buddys stock motor and stock wheel base 1000 @ 150mph.

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 10:37:51 AM »
Quote from: badass1000
turbo busa had a pretty low mph for the 275 horse power he said it had.  148mph compared to my buddys stock motor and stock wheel base 1000 @ 150mph.

Yo tough guy, I will post the Dyno chart JUST for you!  I SUCK at drag racing...  By the way, it has more than 270...

Also, I pulled that Supra with ease...   I am better at roll'ons especially since I am a fat bastard...   :wink:

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 10:40:50 AM »
Hey, you guys need to also post the video of Nick and I running, and the stills... that you help our friend from Idaho understand HP.

Thanks

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 11:07:50 AM »

Your buddie must be very light to pull 150 on a stocker... :roll:

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 11:10:29 AM »
Still having nitrous issues as I am still trying to get it figured out.  

This is the proclaimed "stock" GSXR1000 for those of you who were talking about the stock 1k in the 9's...   I told you it was BS.   8)

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 11:23:58 AM »
Not trying to cause the thread to fall apart, but am I understanding that you guys were racing drag cars geared so short that they top out at 158 mph?

I find the comments about distance and race fuel very representative of what these paper tigers are all about. They are not a real threat, because you're simply not going to encounter one by random chance out driving around with a tank full of race gas. It's all pretty contrived.
-Kirk

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 11:40:57 AM »
i have a bone stock gsxr 1000 01 with 8000 miles thathas ran   9.8's and i have the timeslip to prove it. Bone stock no strape no gear  just a set of SC's on it, no pair mod  just a K@n filter  :D

Ahab

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 11:47:39 AM »
I hate "to be continued" stories.....TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED!!!  :lol:

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 12:24:50 PM »
Quote from: 469 Boy*Robert Kelly
i have a bone stock gsxr 1000 01 with 8000 miles thathas ran   9.8's and i have the timeslip to prove it. Bone stock no strape no gear  just a set of SC's on it, no pair mod  just a K@n filter  :D

Were you at 2300+ feet above sea level?  There were other stock 1ks there, and no one was even close...

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 12:31:18 PM »
I am the one having nitrous issues.  Not him.  I ran a 9.995.  My first run in the 9's.   With alot of 10.0 and 10.1 to back it up.  I also just started taking drag racing seriously and doing it alot this last year.  I ran my first 10.2 a month ago with the same set up.  I am still really trying to get it going with the extended swing arm. I could not get better then a high 1.8 sixty.  So I put on the 9 inch extended swing arm.  Still could not do better then a high 1.8.  It would just slip and then grip.  I put a barnett carbon fiber clutch in it before I ever even took it to the strip.  I thought it was just me.  Then I let a friend ride it and he said it was the biggest piece of shit.  So I put a stock suzuki clutch back in and ran it for the first time in vegas.  I started out mid 1.8 and was pulling low 1.7 by end of night. Practice practice practive.  How the hell do you think Ryan schnitz pulls a 8.9 @ 156 on a super sport zx10.
I never said that the guy that ran the 9.7 was having nitrous issues.  He is light.  Only weighs 165 and he has been racing seriously for over 20 years. Experiance goes along ways.  That bike only has a yosh bolt on and dynoes 143 on same dyno mine does 151 all motor.  He pulls high 1.6 low 1.7 60's on stock wheel base strapped front.  None of us can figure out how he can do it, but he just kills after the 60 to the 330.  We compare time slips and he is 1.7 seconds faster on his 60 to 330.  
I am sure alot of you remember Chrisses dad Brian.  The 65 year old white haird guy on the stock 99 copper busa.  Their is you testiment to experiance.  He was one of the first guys to ever drag a street bike up hear at firebird and is still doing it.  He is a crazy old guy.  He can be sliding side ways with front tire in the air and he never lets off.  Full throttle from the light.
The low mph comment on the turbo busa comes from you only pulling 147-148 mph.  MPH is usually a good indicator of HP.  Probably your mph is way down because you just can't drag it.  Their are a couple turbo busas that come to firebird that have ghetto kits and run about 280 hp.  They launch like wusses with extended swing arms and still pull a 9.7 at 159 mph.  You would be alot faster with more practice then putting more money in it.  You have a nice bike.
I am still pretty slow with a 9.995 and nitrous, but what is all the guys excuse down their running 10's on busas with alot bigger shot of nitrous and alot bigger motor?  Busa with all carbon fiber sebimoto body work and twin projectors in front said he was running a 75 shot of nitrous got beat by the 65 year old.  :)
So what excuse is their for the 2001 R1 runnig a 9.4 and 9.6's.  I could not believe that.  I have never seen a R1 faster then 10.6 in person and he was running a 65 shot of nitrous. Damn that guy was flying for a R1.  If he would have told me it ran a 9.9 I would have thought he was full of shit.  He was trying.  I couldn't believe how he stood it strait up and down right off the line with out even moving forward with that long arm and lowered on one run.

Offline Doc

• Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 12:40:14 PM »
Let's stop with the drag race argument and take it to a new thread if you wish, SORRY NICK.

Back to your regularly scheduled programing.   :oops:

Offline NICKSLICK

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 12:45:04 PM »
im the guy on the carbon fiber busa with the 75 shot and bigbore at the dragstrip that raced the old man. HE WAS GOOD. after the race, i asked him HOW its possible that he could have beat me even though i had a higher mph (by ALOT), and more power, and he told me that before i had a chance against him, i would need to learn to switch thru my gears faster... that i was losing much time by using the clutch... hmmm (airshifter?  :lol: ).

i cant launch for shit eithier and my best 60ft was like 2.10 plus... however, once i got going the front end would just come up in all gears, all the way to the line. we got some video of that. the bike is just plain uncontrollable from a dig... for two reasons... its light and has a shortened swing arm, and secondly, i cant drag for SHIT. dennis (TMH) ran a 10.0 on my bike with the old 20shot!!! and my best was 10.8 at 145 with a 75 shot.... god i suck...  :cry:

as for the paper tiger stuff... its not true... these guys are real.  i know dana and a few of the other guys DEFINITELY run their supras daily, but with the boost turned down i guess (for pump gas)... so you could EASILY encounter one randomly, but probably not with as much boost as they run for the "serious" races. but let me tell you, ANY litre bike (or busa) that came across one of these guys at a light would easily get SMOKED unless they were really paying attention and didnt underestimate the car sitting next to them.  also, these guys are the best pilots ive come across on four wheels, and they are not afraid to race a bike.

my advice, is if you come across a fast looking car in vegas, dont pull any punches!!! or you may find yourself looking at the back of a car.

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 12:46:09 PM »
Quote from: Doc
Hey, you guys need to also post the video of Nick and I running, and the stills... that you help our friend from Idaho understand HP.

Thanks

Not trying to be a dick.  I understand HP.  You need to understand drag racing.
You have a fast bike you just need to learn how to ride it.  I think my current set up could easily do 9.5's, but I am only doing 9.9s.  You need to lower it and extend it if you plan on dragging.  You have too much hp for stock wheel base and height.  It is probably hurting you because you can't controll it on the strip.  It is fine for cruising around town and probably pretty fun on the street.  I wish mine was still stock height and wheel base on the street some times.  I am missing wheelies. :(

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 12:53:22 PM »
Nick.  the bike looks good and is definatly not set up for drag so don't be too disapointed if it is not fast at the strip.  It looks really fast pulling the tire up alot at the strip.   :D
We have a supra in idaho that dynoes 940hp and is really fast.  He ran a 10.4 at 144mph on street tires sliding all over the track.  Unfortunatly because it is fast it is broke down alot.  He just got his rear end back and then blew up the motor before the vegas supra meet.  Thats what happens at 33lbs of boost.

Offline Thumper

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2004, 01:04:27 PM »
No wonder Danno wasn't answering the phone all weekend.  :P
HP = (Torque x RPM) / 5252

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2004, 01:30:38 PM »
Quote from: NICKSLICK
im the guy on the carbon fiber busa with the 75 shot and bigbore at the dragstrip that raced the old man. HE WAS GOOD. after the race, i asked him HOW its possible that he could have beat me even though i had a higher mph (by ALOT), and more power, and he told me that before i had a chance against him, i would need to learn to switch thru my gears faster... that i was losing much time by using the clutch... hmmm (airshifter?  :lol: ).

i cant launch for shit eithier and my best 60ft was like 2.10 plus... however, once i got going the front end would just come up in all gears, all the way to the line. we got some video of that. the bike is just plain uncontrollable from a dig... for two reasons... its light and has a shortened swing arm, and secondly, i cant drag for SHIT. dennis (TMH) ran a 10.0 on my bike with the old 20shot!!! and my best was 10.8 at 145 with a 75 shot.... god i suck...  :cry:

as for the paper tiger stuff... its not true... these guys are real.  i know dana and a few of the other guys DEFINITELY run their supras daily, but with the boost turned down i guess (for pump gas)... so you could EASILY encounter one randomly, but probably not with as much boost as they run for the "serious" races. but let me tell you, ANY litre bike (or busa) that came across one of these guys at a light would easily get SMOKED unless they were really paying attention and didnt underestimate the car sitting next to them.  also, these guys are the best pilots ive come across on four wheels, and they are not afraid to race a bike.

my advice, is if you come across a fast looking car in vegas, dont pull any punches!!! or you may find yourself looking at the back of a car.

I think he meant you are shifting at too high a rpm and need to shift sooner.  Maybee he was just screwing with you.  He is a nice guy, but loves to screw with people.
The supra that dynoes 940 here is only around 600 on pump gas. Which I was told by the dyno shop is really good for pump.
I could not believe how damn smooth down the track some of those supras are.  It was almost like they didn't even shift.  Some type of race transmission obviously.  The others in low 9s you could definatly tell when they shifted.