Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Maxton Updates  (Read 14799 times)

Offline ZX12richard

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2004, 03:05:40 PM »
What was done to the ZX10???
Two bottles no waiting...

Offline joea

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2004, 03:38:33 PM »
its a Kawasaki, it didnt need much...............

(not sure, will look into it)

Joe :)
ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
Maxton Updates
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2004, 06:00:57 PM »
Just got home,  
Jonathan, your a little mixed up, 24 second run, on juice for 18 seconds, but yes, tuning for Nitrous is quite an art.  We'll get it down pat for next year.  Your belittleing comments trackside to me about the Maxton venue compared to Bonnneville were trite.  Since my record is safe for the winter, so is yours.  Would love to see you develop the HP necessary to your Salt 3 mile record in just 1 with real traction.  Every venue has it's challenges.  For now, you are the Nitrous speed king with a 224 avg. record speed with a 226 1-way. Enjoy it for 1 last winter.

I ran 217, 217, 218 then Kablooie!   Water Wetter everywhere and a knock when I tried to re-start.  Head gasket for sure.  It was consistant but just not my day I guess.

Just before I left, I heard that Wayne Pollack ran a 249.9?  Anyone know if that is true?  He really wanted his Double 'A' bad.

The Professor ran in the 190's.  A GSX1000 turbo ran 210 yesterday and then a  205 and 207 on Sunday.

Tailwinds were wonderful Saturday, but calmer on Sunday.

Timing lights still weird and I know that Dave Owens was robbed of a 215 record run because of them...twice.  Many complaints about them.  If they don't get them fixed, I'm a little unsure of return engagements by a few riders because of this problem.

Great weekend, great weather and good friends galore.

Guy
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline Bergie

• Rider
Maxton Updates
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2004, 09:39:17 PM »
:? Too bad for vincent maybe next year, did his bike break?  Man I still say a simple small dry shot would have pushed him well over the 200 mark instead of that complicated overkill setup but to each his own, he has all winter to work out the bugs on it!  

Guy sorry to hear about your engine failure, again, all winter to rectify!  See you guys next year, hopefully.
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH
ECTA 200-Club 202.593 MPH
former drag racer - dontbescaredracing.com (retired)

Offline Bergie

• Rider
Maxton Updates
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2004, 09:42:26 PM »
Exactly how fast was the coby built ZX10R and what records did it break?
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH

Offline joea

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2004, 09:49:14 PM »
Guy, it sounds like sour grapes to me...............

Jon made observations based on traveling to all the primary
speed venues............

I DO NOT consider myself or runs the "nitrous king"..........

if you detuned your 1397cc to 998cc and ran nitrous for 44seconds(instead of 18sec) on slippery salt and ran over 226, then I would
say we could compare ourselves to ea other

I consider what you guys do at Maxton awesome, you should
be proud..................

I know that world land speed records are over a flying mile
or kilo,  and I know to do that basically means Bonn. or Gaidner,

I would never consider maintaining an average  speed for 60 to 120 ft
equal to maintaining a top speed  for 1-3 miles

and I would never consider maintaining the peak hp and torque necessary for a world record speed for 1-3 miles the same as maintaining
hp and torque necessary for 60-120 ft duration

what you guys do at Maxton is different,  it is great

ps if you had issues with the conversation you had with my brother Jon,
you should have spoken up on the spot, and had some discourse face to face, instead we get to have it on the net,  

believe me, Jon was simply making observations according to what he
saw, and what he as experienced

I know I am not the King of nitrous, just because I have gone faster
does not mean I am superior,  that is why I dont go around proclaiming to
be a nitrous expert, and dont try to advise others of such

good luck next year, but save the threats, I have heard it all before, (like
last year)

God willing we will be on the salt again and would love to see you or any of the Maxton crowd out there in 2005

ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline landracing

• Rider
    • http://www.landracing.com
Maxton Updates
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2004, 10:02:32 PM »
Well Vincent had an alternate rider and didn't matter who was on the bike then went in the mid 190's and I beleive he had a 150 shot on there.

John Wennerberg had a crank trigger go bad on his bike so no more runs for him, he went 195 mph on all motor no nitrous ZX12R. He runs same tail section as Vincent.

Colby Adams bike was around 201-202 range, then they changed the factory velocity stack with aluminum short ones but I do not know the outcome from them, but didn't see them in the impound area.

They did have a problem with the clocks, they got it down to one clock so they turned off one set of three clocks they were using. Then it was down to an older set of clocks which only go out to the .000 numbers, and was almost dead on with data loggers and gps that was printed out. The other set that was taken off line goes out to the .000000 but a bad clock was the culprit. The third set of clocks is a backup system that is used in the registration area and gives seconds to clear the mile and it has to be calculated. The problem bikes got all their times this way. Only a few bikes had a problem with acurate clocks. They WILL have this resolved by next year.

Yes Wayne was on Bud Bike and got as close to 250 trap speed of 249 and change, in that case the clocks had given a entry speed and exit speed the exit speed was 250 mph. but they had averaged the two. This did give him his AA. They tried many many things to get him over 250 for the average of the two but just couldn't get there. Lee got on and had a couple 250+ runs.

IT was a great meet and I am glad I made the trip. I got to put a name with ALOT of members of this board and meet alot more that were just there. Next year since the ECTA was sold, there will be MAJOR changes in the rules and regulations. If you want to put your info in for suggestions I would suggest you goto the following link to put them in. These suggestions will be used for formulate and clean up the rule book, set new standards. Like no class jumping above the engine class you are in etc etc. Also going to be verifing the engine class next year. etc.

http://www.landracing.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=9

Im looking forward to next year changes and running.

Jonathan

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2004, 11:06:18 PM »
From Vincent!

Best run before I decided to stop the madness was 196 with the bike sideways at 150. The power was coming on in reverse. At the Hit of the Button, the bike "INSTANLY" Jumps 150 HP in about 200 RPMS. So if it is making 150 HP at about 9,500, I have 300 HP by 9,750 rpms and maybe 180 to 200 by 11,500 from it being at a 8 to 9 Air Fuel ratio. Add to this the reatrded Motor Only performance (I forgot to bring the advancer now that I am using the PC3 (NO "r") and the Schnitz Retard takes 1.5 Degrees (Off Button) at 10,000 rpms not to mention that I had no advance in the lower RPMS :roll:

Dealing with this, we regeared the Bike to 19 / 44 Set the Controller to 50% start and 4 second ramp (Remember it is only controlling the FUEL), Randall ran 199.23 and 198.7 on runs where he hit the Limiter in several gears because us the spin up of the rear tire. ALSO, these runs were Randall's 4th to 9th run ever on my bike and at Maxton. Most people liked the several feet long flames that came out of the Muffler when I let off at the finish line from the Over Rich condition :D

As we all know, to take the step forward, you must first over come the 2 steps backward you always get first.

It was good to finally see the faces attached to the names Joea, Dave Owens, The NS Person and a few others out there.

With all that was going on, it seems like a lot of the ZX12's Broke for one reason or the other except the one I wanted to Break!  :roll: The only things I got out of this was a lot more seat time for Randall to get more information into his head and knowing that what I put together will handle waay over 300 HP with EGT's up into the 1600's and lean mixtures starting at 18 to 1 and rich to 8 to 1 and learning the skill to go down a course looking over my right shoulder :D There is nothing that I feel cannot be cured and finally I can take the time to get it done. Randall will be at the Locak Drag Strip to learn the "Launch" (A lot more clutch control) and VH will be into more electronic Knowledge to get "EVERYTHING" Progressive.

Bergie, the Class I wanted to run they refused to let me run it! SO even if I had gone 205 no club for me!
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2004, 04:51:18 AM »
Colby's 10 did not set a record, and went slower with the stacks....

John set a record, beating Keiths by 2 mph???

Chad went 201 on the NOS ZX9

Jim made the 2 club on his beautiful copper busa(203mph)

Jack made the 2 club on his very fast stock bore busa(201mph)

Carls speed shop had a harley that went 180+(wow)

My best pass was 214.2 all motor....new record for MPS/G 1650, set two other gas records in the 212's.

Had two runs that recorded 215+mph....BUT the entrance/exit speeds were off too much for a good average....one was 206 in, 215+ out.

For some reason my bike is the most problematic with the lights. Joe T. has been tryin, and removed the center light. My 1st pass after that was 213 on my logger, 212.77 on the slip(nice!)....But then my next pass had another discrepancy.....We are still leaning towards the chrome rims being a factor. Sometimes the lights have my bike gaining 12 mph in 132ft!!!!

Turnout was great...was great to watch Lee make history(again)

Dave
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
Maxton Updates
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2004, 06:13:32 AM »
Quote from: joea
Guy, it sounds like sour grapes to me...............

Your right about I should have said something.  But it was one of those things that started to eat at me while driving 12 hours home and rethinking his comments.  At first I took them with a smile but the more I thought about them, the more it ate at me.  Your right, I should have said something right then and there. My most humble apologies to your brother in abstencia. I didn't mean it to sound that way (sour grapes), but when you salt guys talk to us Maxton guys like the salt is the hardest venue to attain speeds at, it bugs me.  I know the salt is harder, but you don't have to be condescending when you talk to us about it as if your the only ones going fast.  All I ever hear is "we have to go a timed mile and you only get timed over 132feet".   The Majesty of the salt can't be duplicated anywhere in the northern hemisphere and the fastest vehicles on the planet are on the salt.  I probably would do even worse on the salt than I do at Maxton.  So please don't denegrate the Maxton experience as being inferior to the salt.  My $.02

Anyway, water under the bridge, another year done and it's a fresh start for 2005.  Amos is still the fastest on Nitrous, Lee/Yancy the fastest turbo and Dave Owens (at Maxton) the fastest all motor.  And Wayne Pollack got his Double "A".  Congratulations Wayne, it's an honor to know ya.

Guy
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline landracing

• Rider
    • http://www.landracing.com
Maxton Updates
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2004, 07:24:40 AM »
Guy,

I never got the impression that it flustered you. Let the readers know that what I had said was that you can respect Joe Amo for his accompishement for being on the bottle for as long as he was, ok you on it for only 18 seconds, Joe was on it for 3+ miles. And GUY, Joe A hasn't written any articles on tuning for nitrous. JoeA never made any promises on speeds coming into an event he just put up and has never gloated about it. He is very humble. I do all the talking because he did something that was very special, and in my opinion people ask who my hero is of LSR racing, well I said Joe. Im so proud of him. I was there for all the broken motors, parking lot rebuilds, piss in the oil, promised rides, hearts broken, tears shed, silent rides home and hard work and dedication to do what we did over the period of several years.

Being in the sport for over 14 years you can imagine the people who we talk to that say, "I GOT IT ALL FIGURED OUT" then, well then when it comes time they don't live up the the number. And I ask the question I thought you had it all figured out? Just goes to show you that the DYNO does not figure it all out, may help a little but the real answer is you just have to run it. I hope to see you out there in 2005 early meet.

You are right on venues. I can very appreciate many of you running down that bumpy course at any speed. It takes alot.

Well welcome to LSR and GUY you are a great member of the sport.

The products that you showed me were just outstanding. The wings on the front are very interesting. The belly pans were just a work of art. The bottle valve protectors and another outstanding piece of art. I totally respect you for what you are doing. It was a pleasure on meeting you and I do hope to see you again next year.

Jonathan

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2004, 08:17:38 AM »
Quote from: DaveO

Dave

Dave, I appreciate the tip about keeping the regular Bike oil in the Bike for the Dyno runs to help break it in because I saw a lot more pressure in the cylinders after the runs.

On the Stacks, the 2 runs they made you statement is correct as far as it goes, the Problem is, that on one run the Launch was bad and bogged and on the other run I think he tagged the limiter, so they are going to put the Bike on the Dyno to see exactly if anything is gained or lost at closer to sea level as opposed to 6,000 feet where they did make a difference!

Again, glad to meet you finally and that is a very serious piece of equipment and rider!

Offline Nosgsx1300

• Mad Post Whore
  • RCC GT4088R WHOOOT
Maxton Updates
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2004, 09:19:06 AM »
I am hooked on this
can't stop thinking about the next event
How about something to coinced with the weekend before Datona week so people can make a vacation out of it

I will be much more organized next time,and not having to do licensing runs saves a lot of time on saturday

I am going to write up a "novices Maxton guide" to hopefully save people from doing the same mistakes I did
Like DaveO said the lights seem weird
on my only nitrous run after I finally got it back in gear and on the button I recall being surprised how hard it was pulling thru the traps on the button
but my slip says 188.43432 first half,188.22152 second.
no way, I could feel the bike pulling like a frieght train
and on my only "clean" motor pass 193.29897  and 191.63615 exit
but I was watching the tach climb thru the traps,something seems weird .
but with the speed I was going I would have been a dickhead complaining
I don't think wheelspin was a issue I inspected tires after every run and the rear looks almost new
RCC GT4088R
2011 Loring 204.88mph "naked"
2015 Loring 220.01743 MPH Faired in fifth gear

Offline 1197Kaw

• Rider
Maxton Updates
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2004, 09:43:03 AM »
DaveO Congratulations on your 214 all motor pass. In my opinion you are one hell of a builder, tunner, rider. I look foward to seeing you best your record. I would like to thank you for the help getting me in the 2 club.

Guy I would like to thank you for your generosity. You have some great products. I happened to be at maxton when you made your first trip. You ran 196+ on motor. To have the NOS record of 221+ show's great accomplishment. I have a feeling your best is yet to come.

It was an awesome sight watching team Yancy at work. Watching Wayne and Lee ride the number 8 was something I won't soon forget.

Daveo 9244   1197kaw 886

Rich, Wayne, Lee
E.C.T.A. 200 Club (All Motor)

Offline MET

• Post Master
Maxton Updates
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2004, 11:44:20 AM »
Dave fantastic run....  Guess this is why I am always looking forward to you working on my bike.  Should be ve nice again this November.  Should be very inteesting when you are done, the Green Dragon may even sprout wings this time.  :O :D.

Congrats to everyone else also great runs.  I ope to get to NC nex time.

Quote from: DaveO

John set a record, beating Keiths by 2 mph???

Chad went 201 on the NOS ZX9

Jim made the 2 club on his beautiful copper busa(203mph)

Jack made the 2 club on his very fast stock bore busa(201mph)

Carls speed shop had a harley that went 180+(wow)

My best pass was 214.2 all motor....new record for MPS/G 1650, set two other gas records in the 212's.

Had two runs that recorded 215+mph....BUT the entrance/exit speeds were off too much for a good average....one was 206 in, 215+ out.

For some reason my bike is the most problematic with the lights. Joe T. has been tryin, and removed the center light. My 1st pass after that was 213 on my logger, 212.77 on the slip(nice!)....But then my next pass had another discrepancy.....We are still leaning towards the chrome rims being a factor. Sometimes the lights have my bike gaining 12 mph in 132ft!!!!

Turnout was great...was great to watch Lee make history(again)

Dave

Offline joea

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2004, 01:13:25 PM »
Guy, lets get one thing straight.....two different venues
requiring some similar and some very different realities,
EQUALLY difficult in their own right

today is to honor you Maxton guys and gals.............

awesome!!!!!!!!

Dave O. amazing........
of course Lee and Yancy and Wayne P.

but MANY others in many other classes need recognizing, Dave O mentioned a bunch.........

Vincent and Guy, I can relate all to well with your tribulations, I am sure
I have you both beat on broken engines and less than desired performance's.................

Vincent you met my bro Jon not me, ps you didnt put the suntan
lotion in for octane boost did you??

ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2004, 02:08:05 PM »
Joe, you guys "All look alike to me" :D:D Like I said to him and have said before, Something is WRONG when a Black guy had to buy "SunTan" Lotion  :roll: (And need it  :shock: ).

Anyone that know anything about Land Speed Racing would just change your name to "JOBE" (The Guy in the Bible that went through more than anyone else for the Bible challenged  :) .

Good to meet one of you (My Kawasaki Hero's) :D:D

Over the years I have learned that the #1 thing you must have to do this is "An amount of Determination that boders on Obsessed!" I have just found out that Age does not cure this Obsession. The other thing I have found is there are 2 ways to get there.
#1, Start with the Tried and true and Improve on it  :roll: (Not my way at all)

#2, Do it in a way that no one else has either done or thought about! "Now you know what makes me tick"! The more people say that is not the way, the moe it has to be that way. So Far, I have always suceeded on this path! Yes it takes longer and is a lot more difficult, but the Pleasures of doing it are what keeps me alive!

Any of you Amo guys know what I am talking about ??

Offline Bergie

• Rider
Maxton Updates
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2004, 03:18:03 PM »
I'm just not old enough  :lol: to understand  :wink:
8.85 ET @ 161.57 MPH

Offline joea

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2004, 06:26:57 PM »
I just thought I was more stupid/dumb than the rest......BUT I will save your explanation for reference...........(see Noonan there is reason for
our ways beyond dumbness :))

your NOT too old,  look at Guthrie for chrips sake, sumbitch
can swim and lift (lb for lb, and lb for age) heart beat  vs age,
and mph for mph MORE than any of us ............and he is a someones
redheaded .............well you get the picture,  I mean your taller,
darker, more built in ballast................get with it Mr. Vincent,  the SALT is calling you ...............

ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
Maxton Updates
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2004, 05:37:30 AM »
Bloody awsome blokes  , to many hard acts to follow now you can all
sit out your winter ,while a small group of Aussies have a crack at trying to better those awsome speeds . I will be chasing that elusive Mr Amo's speed in the nitrous class ,hey Joe I have now managed to carry 12.5 lbs of the giggle gas on the bussa  , but the RX 1000 possibly wont make it for next march ,out of $$$
anyway well done ,and your all welcome down this way next March  :wink:
Hawkwind
the more I learn the less I know

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2004, 08:42:18 AM »
Vince,

Your welcome on the tips, hope they helped out. You are correct on the bear stack's, they should really be tuned on the dyno first.

Jim,

It was my pleasure to work with you and your beautiful copper bike. I was so glad to see you break the 202 record, and get into the club. ANYTIME I can help you, please call, your a great guy to deal with....Thx for helping me vent on my lost pass...and great pic!!!

JoeA,

Thx again for the props!!! Hopefully you can fly out next time.

Mike,

It's always a pleasure to work with you and the dragon...We'll tune her up just a tad more!!!! Thx for the kind words

Guy,
Thx for gettin me the parts for my bottles...maybe next time I will need them!!!

Congrats again to ALL THE MAXTON RACERS and THANX TO ALL  for the props and good luck that people gave me.

Dave
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Maxton Updates
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2004, 10:23:15 AM »
Dave0, With all that I was going through, one of them was not losing an engine! I like to learn from the Best!!