Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 1397 Head, To port or not to port?  (Read 24903 times)

Offline dragasixtyinchbusa

• Rider
1397 Head, To port or not to port?
« on: November 09, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »
I am in the process of building a normally aspirated 1397.  There are so many choices on which direction to go with the head.  How beneficial is it to have the head ported in comparison to its stock form with drop in cams.  Also, what cams would you suggest without the porting, and maybe with the port work if the horsepower would be drastically increased.   What kind of hp numbers am I looking at both ways? Thanks in advance for any input.
Keith Salles

Offline BUGSY

• Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 12:04:56 AM »
Carpenter Racing................ :yes:

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 01:12:18 AM »
Quote from: BUSA89
Carpenter Racing................ :yes:

Bob also has proven results! !

J
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 05:34:22 AM »
When you think about porting, also think about taking advantage of the increased flow with bigger cams; typically, bigger/longer duration cams require higher CR pistons. And make sure the exhaust can handle the byproducts.

Offline flashracer

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 07:19:51 PM »
CARPENTER RACING. MINE 1397 WITH HIS 385 MEGACYCLE. I RUN 155 MPH EVERY PASS. YOU WILL BE IN THE EIGHTS IN 1/4

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 08:10:24 PM »
Quote from: flashracer
CARPENTER RACING. MINE 1397 WITH HIS 385 MEGACYCLE. I RUN 155 MPH EVERY PASS. YOU WILL BE IN THE EIGHTS IN 1/4

Get a hold of dragzooks@indy (member name) Mine 1397, with megas 385s and dragzooks head @ 705 pounds (bike and rider) went 160 with a slight head wind on pump gas. :wink:

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 01:33:07 AM »
Quote from: STREET RACER
What Ever

Don't be a hater Spaz..be  a player..

J
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline Bayou Busa

• Post Master
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 07:03:35 AM »
What Ever

:lmao:
  "All Motor"

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 08:10:13 AM »
What Ever

Whats that all about? Got something to say, say it. Non believer cause you can't run with me Mr. 9.4s with your 225hp motor!!!!  :roll:

Offline dragzooks@indy

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 09:37:19 AM »
dont fall for it PAT...dont let spaz get to ya

busa heads arent rocket science...they've been around like going on 7 years now...most people that built more than a few have figured them out

cutting the guides down, opening the throats a little, smoothing the bowls, breaking the edge on the cumbustion chamber around the vavles, etc, etc, is NOT gonna win you any awards
but that polished up exhaust port sure is PRETTY  :roll:

everyone knows 1397s can and often do go 160mph or more

PAT, dont you have like several reliable witnesses that have seen it go that fast

and didnt even go into the low 160's with RS on it
no spray

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 10:58:39 AM »
Yup Dat's me Mr. 9.40's. Put a stock arm on dat turd and race me head's up. Since U go 8.8's U should have no problem's going aleast 9.0's with a stock arm. That meens U got me cover by four tenth's. Jump Froggy!!!!:tony:

Not this stupidity again. You want to challenge me challenge ME on what I ride. And thats with a 4in arm, thats how I'm set-up. If you want to run an even race, get a 4in over arm. Or just for kicks, I will run you for 100.00 (I know its not big money) and you can run your stock arm bike WITH NOS. Hows that one speedy. Also, I will pull my airbox and you can look for hidden nitrous if thats in fact what you think I need to acheive those 8 sec passes. But I'm not running you unless you do the arm or run nitrous cause you aint getting the hit like you wanted last year :roll:

Yes Robert, Ryan ran 8.84 spinning 2 gears at 161 on a 95 degree day against the wind.
Anyone doubt this call Ryan 1-800-837-9730.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 04:57:06 PM »
Bahahahahahahahahaha thats some funny stuff. I can show slips Of Ryan running my bike also. I know those were Phils slips nice try speedy. Also I know what you were running in Byron on a near perfect day on a track that goes down hill big time. 9.20s @ 154-155. I'm not worried. I know you can't pull those 60s on a stock wheelbase bike so now what speedy. AND YES YOU CAN USE NITROUS ON YOUR 1397 STOCK WHEEL BASE BIKE. Not only that but if i win, I will give you a chance to win 50 back. I will run your stroked bike with you on motor only and me using the dry shot. Not sure if i'll come to Byron but I will run the street chaos for sure in Indy unless I hook up with someone in Indy where i could put my bike in a garage overnight and in that case we can do it on the street. I WILL OWN YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!!!!  :lol:
 Just curious, how many runs did you get in indy that night in 2 hrs time?

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 05:57:16 PM »
Boy??????  :roll:  You know I left at 8:30 and wasn't about to pay 100.00 to race for 2 hrs. So trying to punk me out about it is senseless. But I will be there and will pay the 100.00 to shut your fat little ass up. Doesn't  matter, I'll get my 100.00 back. I know your pathetic on a bike but like to talk big shit on the internet tough guy, or so you think.  :lol:  :lol: As far as the other bike, one of your buddies said it was a 1500 something, can't remember don't really care either, just bring it. See ya next year rolly polly.  :twisted:

Offline whtrthanu

• Post Master
    • www.saeoutlawperformance.com
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 07:42:49 PM »
Since you guys are all on the this tread about 1397's runnin 160 I was just curious about how much power a 1397 could have with stock pipes and run on pump gas 12.5 cr and stock size valves too I want to see what is actually out there not the bs about 225 hp either. I think 205 is really what they can make...............Let me know  :?:

Offline flashracer

• Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 07:44:32 PM »
spaz just built a motor for a buddy of mine. i will post his et and mph. thats if he does any passes on it this year. it it flys like he said it will, hey i might let him freshen my motor. i have carpenter head 1397 with 385 megs. it this guy blows me away and his motor stays together. i may take a trip to see him. but i did see a spaz 1360 motor just go 151 -152 in 1/4 the same day i go 155 mph which was last weekend in kentucky. i know he has different way of building compression with flat top pistons. i just haven't seen any of his work. thats why i went with carpenter racing. that is if it dont cost me an arm and a leg to let spaz do it. but i got to see how my buddy 1397 spaz package performs first.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 06:54:32 AM »
Quote from: flashracer
but i did see a spaz 1360 motor just go 151 -152 in 1/4 the same day i go 155 mph which was last weekend in kentucky. .

Yup, 12.1 1360cc pump gas yosh cams stock wheel base 190 pound rider.

Stock head, yosh cams, Akropovic exh, stock pistons I was running 9.40 @ 151. @200#s riding weight. Not impressive sorry!!! :roll:

Offline mike45

• Post Master
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 09:15:22 AM »
I'm surprised you don't flatten the intake floors.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 09:37:09 AM »
Yeah Pat but U left out where your bike wasn't stock length and U had a air shifter. And I really doubt U where going 9.10! Hell I have been 149 mph on my stock 04, pipe  yosh cams, foot shiftin" but only went a 9.45 Let's see the big picture here!!

First of all tard boy, Where does the 9.10 come in??? I said 9.40. Whats the matter you like to make things up in that little mind of yours??? And yeah, your stock 04 is really fast :roll: You got your ass handed to you by a gsxr1000 that runs 9.7s ( Mike Barger) I watched him run and he wasn't spinning much at all 9.7 @ 143, I have it on tape and before Mike steps in I know its a stock motor. I know he raced you in Indy and it wasn't close. People that were there told me. They mistaked that bike for the bike you named Virus which is soooo kindergarden.  :roll:  I let them know for you that it was just a stock 04 that you had out at night. But I wouldn't doubt 149 at Byron. I've seen that track and also talked to guys that run NMRA and been to that track for a meet. Every record was broke. HMMM sounds like a happy track to me. So I wouldn't doubt it. Maybe I should come over there, hell you run 9.4s at indy and 9.1s or 2s at Byron, I'd probably go in the 8.7s. Now that i think about it, is everything over your way happy ?? Track is happy and your dyno must be a hoot :P  :lol:

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 10:23:57 AM »
I could hold both your helmets get you a pop and bring you back fries :wink:

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 10:36:24 AM »
Never said Chaos. It was on fri night in indy not at the track. Now what?? Want to tell me i'm wrong? Thought not :P

Offline Mike Barger

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 10:41:45 AM »
Quote from: Pat Dietrich

First of all tard boy, Where does the 9.10 come in??? I said 9.40. Whats the matter you like to make things up in that little mind of yours??? And yeah, your stock 04 is really fast :roll: You got your ass handed to you by a gsxr1000 that runs 9.7s ( Mike Barger) I watched him run and he wasn't spinning much at all 9.7 @ 143, I have it on tape and before Mike steps in I know its a stock motor. I know he raced you in Indy and it wasn't close. People that were there told me. They mistaked that bike for the bike you named Virus which is soooo kindergarden.  :roll:  I let them know for you that it was just a stock 04 that you had out at night. But I wouldn't doubt 149 at Byron. I've seen that track and also talked to guys that run NMRA and been to that track for a meet. Every record was broke. HMMM sounds like a happy track to me. So I wouldn't doubt it. Maybe I should come over there, hell you run 9.4s at indy and 9.1s or 2s at Byron, I'd probably go in the 8.7s. Now that i think about it, is everything over your way happy ?? Track is happy and your dyno must be a hoot :P  :lol:

Lay off the steroids Pat and put the crack pipe down.  You said my name, so I will chime in.  If you have me on tape running 9.7 anything it has to be at least 2 years old.  I did run 9.71 on my factory stock 01' 1000 with a strap on the front, that's all.  Yes, I did race Spaz on the street this year in Indy on his 04' but he gave me a bike length and the hit.  That's a pretty fair race for him, huh?  We were just trying to brew up some races, that's all since everyone was just sitting there.  Pat, it's funny how nice you are in person and when it comes to the internet you have a completely different personality.  Keep it real Pat.  
Kindergarden bike named Virus......hell buddy, that's your worst nightmare.  Getting beat by a stock wheelbase busa....
Hell yea it's fast, and no you can't ride it.

Offline ANTDOG600

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 10:57:40 AM »
thing getting heated or just guys getting each other fired up for winter?

Offline mike45

• Post Master
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 11:03:04 AM »
Quote from: Mike Barger
Quote from: Pat Dietrich

Lay off the steroids Pat and put the crack pipe down.  You said my name, so I will chime in.  If you have me on tape running 9.7 anything it has to be at least 2 years old.  I did run 9.71 on my factory stock 01' 1000 with a strap on the front, that's all.  Yes, I did race Spaz on the street this year in Indy on his 04' but he gave me a bike length and the hit.  That's a pretty fair race for him, huh?  We were just trying to brew up some races, that's all since everyone was just sitting there.  Pat, it's funny how nice you are in person and when it comes to the internet you have a completely different personality.  Keep it real Pat.  
Kindergarden bike named Virus......hell buddy, that's your worst nightmare.  Getting beat by a stock wheelbase busa....
 Hmmmm...smoking steroids with a crack pipe........ :lol:

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 04:49:45 PM »
Mike, why would you get on here and lie???? Doesn't make sense to me. I watched you run 3 times before i left and the BEST was a 9.7 @ 143 mph. Then you got on here and posted that you ran like 9.3 or something like that @ 152mph, which indicated to me you actually used nitrous after i left or you just wanted people to think your faster than you are. So, sorry that your bike aint all that, now you have just proven to me that you are nothing but an internet racer, cause you sure as hell ain't shit on the track. Pretty funny how on here you have challenged me to a $$ race but when we were at muncie at the same time you didn't say shit. Not that i would have run for $$ but you didn't even try to line up with me. That would have been your only chance to come close but you would have had to run nitrous and had your best pass against my worst that night to have touched me. You can say what you want about that night but we both know what happened. And I do have it on tape, video don't lie, but you sure as hell do!!!! And I'm not worried about a bike that runs 9.2s with him on it. I've ran at Muncie, a 9.17 shutting down in third because I missed 4th gear and went through at 127mph. So hell, I could beat him on motor using 3 gears. And you talk about keeping it real but get on here and lie??? WTF ?? I can honestly say NOW, I have no respect for you.  :roll:
And the other thing dumb ass, since you want to lie on here, forget what I PM'd you, your the one that told me that you whipped up on Spaz on fri night but said nothing about the hit or a bike length. Just trying to make yourself look good obviously. When I tell a story I stick to the truth, this way I don't look like an ass like you do now. You don't need to come up to talk to me anymore at the strips, I can't stand liars. :roll: KEEP IT REAL MIKE , KEEP IT REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am nice in person and on here, that is until i get called out like spaz has done twice now simply because he does all his little tricks to his 1397s and still can't beat a 206hp motor. So the best that he can come up with is accusing me of using nitrous to acheive those times at my weight. I ain't got anything more to say to you about this so go a head and try to lie some more.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 04:54:52 PM »
And whats with the muscle jokes and steroid BS, now i suppose a person can't be in the shape I am if he doesn't use steroids. Man I can't win can I?? :roll: