Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 1397 Head, To port or not to port?  (Read 25040 times)

Offline Mike Barger

• Rider
1397 Head, To port or not to port?
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2004, 09:11:36 AM »
Quote from: bhartley
I was the person getting the time slips for Mike at the Indy Chaos event . He was running better then a 9.71 . I got all the slips for him and I saw what it ran every pass . He only sprayed it on the last pass . Those are the fact's . His bike ran alot quicker then a 9.70 .. Maybe I need to get in on this action with my R1. I have got something for ya. :lol:

UT-OH!  Now that would be a race I'd put the savings on!  Do ya think he'd want to get beat by an R1?

And yes, i was talking about you and I.  Rider weight is pretty close to the same.
Hell yea it's fast, and no you can't ride it.

Offline bhartley

• Rider
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2004, 09:22:44 AM »
Mike

I took it to the track a couple of week's ago and I was pretty impressed with it . I made 10 passes in a row with the exact same 60 foot times .
It look's like I finally got the chasis figured out . Time to turn up the wick. :shock:
Turbo R1 ----- 2003 Busa

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2004, 12:38:57 PM »
I was the person getting the time slips for Mike at the Indy Chaos event . He was running better then a 9.71 . I got all the slips for him and I saw what it ran every pass . He only sprayed it on the last pass . Those are the fact's . His bike ran alot quicker then a 9.70 .. Maybe I need to get in on this action with my R1. I have got something for ya. :lol:

Never said he couldn't run or hasn't run quicker. Just that at Muncie I watched a best of 9.7 @ 143 on a full pass not spinnig, I was standing right at the line with the starter. So those are the facts. I could care less what you say he ran, your his friend of course you'll try to make him look good. I'll make a point to hook up with him this summer and settle this and your welcome to join him.

Offline bhartley

• Rider
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2004, 12:53:48 PM »
Pat your bike is a great running and looking bike . I have only met you once and you seem to be a nice guy  But if you think you want some of my bike we can do it this weekend at US41.  We can watch the weather and if it is not raining then let's do this . I am not one for bullshitting around . If it is not raining then let's get it done . I know that your bike runs good but believe me I am not scared . You are always talking crap about turbo bikes not running . Let's see if you really want to find out . And yes I am his friend but why would I want to lie about what he ran . Make's know difference to me . I don't doubt that you saw him running slower either but maybe he was trying some things . I have know idea .
Turbo R1 ----- 2003 Busa

Offline Mike Barger

• Rider
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2004, 01:01:18 PM »
I'm up for going to 41 this weekend.  Let me know what day (if it's not raining) that you wanna go.  Hartley I still have your number, I'll just call you on Friday or so.  I need to get my airshifter working again.  I think I can run quicker than a 9.7 if I wasn't foot shifting.... :lol:  :wink:

Offline bhartley

• Rider
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2004, 01:15:41 PM »
I love that they (US41) stay's open late it the year . I don't care if it is cold or not my bike seem's to be hooking really good now . Mike and me are friends but how often do we talk or do anything ? Let's see prostar Indy and the thing in Kokomo that make's twice a year we talk or hang out . That make's us such good friends that I would lie for you ..
That is funny . I have met Spaz a couple of time's also I guess that mean's I would lie for him also . I don't care who has the faster bike I just like to race . There is alway's someone faster . Just don't take the R1 to lightly or you might look like an ass. If this happens it will be a good time . I have a few friend's that might want in on the action with the busa.
Turbo R1 ----- 2003 Busa

Offline BELLMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2004, 02:50:22 PM »
You  allmotorguys are a lot more fun than the turbo talk guys. :drink:

Offline Bayou Busa

• Post Master
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2004, 04:51:28 PM »
I was enjoying this thread of Pat battling it out with Spaz and Mike, but now this Harley Davidson guy is jumping in...

Harley, Spaz and Mike are big boys...I'm sure they don't need you to take up their slack...or do they :?:  :?:  :?:
  "All Motor"

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2004, 05:27:12 PM »
Quote from: Bayou Busa
I was enjoying this thread of Pat battling it out with Spaz and Mike, but now this Harley Davidson guy is jumping in...

Harley, Spaz and Mike are big boys...I'm sure they don't need you to take up their slack...or do they :?:  :?:  :?:

Yeah, I was enjoying it too! But to be honest Mike does need his little buddy to take up some slack for him, he runs 9.7s on a dragbike with a street tire. :roll: He's my hero!

Hartly- If you are talking sat. I work till noon and my evening is already taken. I'm sure you want to go get some time runs but if your itching that bad, bring it here and we can line them up but other than that have fun. As far as Mikes concerned and his times don't care what he ran that night in Indy or what you saw. Not saying you are stretching it, but it would be VERY hard to believe he went alot quicker than 9.7. If the traction was there I would think he may have been in the higher 50s but thats it unless somehow he happened to spin another bearing between Indy and Muncie. I know he was running 9.7s before and i asked what happened he said that he spun a bearing, just know what i saw simple as that!!  Also just for your info, a mild set-up motor bike getting beat by a turbo bike is no big deal, so i could never look like an ass! However, a tubo bike that weighs 100 pounds lighter and i'm quite sure makes more than 206hp getting beat or even a close race would be down right embarrassing. Keep that in mind :wink:  And yeah, I can be nice in person and on here till someone like spaz says that i lie about not running nitrous to acheive my times at me and bikes weight. Thats where this started so anyway, I doubt i go to any dragstrips the rest of this year but if you are really feeling froggy, feel free to come on over. We go behind GM plant which is south of ft.wayne, let me know, I'll be waiting. :wink:

Offline bhartley

• Rider
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2004, 06:06:58 PM »
Not a problem if you can't go . We can hook up anytime .
I don't need any time run's either we can go right off the trailer .
I am sure your ported head big compression 1397 mild motor will make up for my bone stock turbo motor  and for the weight of the bikes the last time I heard you had NOS so that should even up the weight issue. Check around the turbo setup for the R1 is not capible of big power . I am sure on the spray you are making more power then me. I was just stiring the pot anyway . It does not matter to me if you can't run now I will have the bike for a long time . I just like to race . I will let you guy's get back to talking crap to each other . And buy the way I don't own a Harley or ride one . What does Bayou Busa race ? The keyboard ....
Have a nice day..

Quote from: Pat Dietrich
Quote from: Bayou Busa

Yeah, I was enjoying it too! But to be honest Mike does need his little buddy to take up some slack for him, he runs 9.7s on a dragbike with a street tire. :roll: He's my hero!

Hartly- If you are talking sat. I work till noon and my evening is already taken. I'm sure you want to go get some time runs but if your itching that bad, bring it here and we can line them up but other than that have fun. As far as Mikes concerned and his times don't care what he ran that night in Indy or what you saw. Not saying you are stretching it, but it would be VERY hard to believe he went alot quicker than 9.7. If the traction was there I would think he may have been in the higher 50s but thats it unless somehow he happened to spin another bearing between Indy and Muncie. I know he was running 9.7s before and i asked what happened he said that he spun a bearing, just know what i saw simple as that!!  Also just for your info, a mild set-up motor bike getting beat by a turbo bike is no big deal, so i could never look like an ass! However, a tubo bike that weighs 100 pounds lighter and i'm quite sure makes more than 206hp getting beat or even a close race would be down right embarrassing. Keep that in mind :wink:  And yeah, I can be nice in person and on here till someone like spaz says that i lie about not running nitrous to acheive my times at me and bikes weight. Thats where this started so anyway, I doubt i go to any dragstrips the rest of this year but if you are really feeling froggy, feel free to come on over. We go behind GM plant which is south of ft.wayne, let me know, I'll be waiting. :wink:
Turbo R1 ----- 2003 Busa

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2004, 07:04:52 PM »
Quote from: STREET RACER
Pat Dietrich AKA Backpeddler, chicken shit, scaredy cat or St.Louis Red. U take your pick It all comes out the same!!!

Care to explain your comment, or do you just like talking out of your fat ass?? I never back peddle, not scared to run Ryan Schnitz, sure as hell aint scared to run an R1 turbo or not. Some of us have jobs that we are responsible for. Thats why I can live in the house i'm in and buy what I want when i need to buy it. I invited him here if he cares to make the trip. Now what big mouth?? And by the way, who is St louis red??Oh and back at you dick breath :bigfu:  :bigfu:

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2004, 07:16:25 PM »
This is all very informative pertaining to porting a 1397 head !!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2004, 07:18:14 PM »
Bhartly- wiesco 12:1s aint no big compression motor.  :roll:  And as far as the nitrous, never used it yet on a turbo bike, you really think you'll be the first that i'll need it on huh? So what kind of times are you running that makes you think that. And don't give me no BS about not wanting your times out there. Everybody knows what I run. I post everytime i run what I run. But I can do this cause they are usually pretty good numbers, so how about you or are you embarrased to tell or talking out of your ass like Spaz and Mike do??? Its simple, you run 8.70s or better, i'll use the nitrous, you run 8.80s or higher, I go on motor if this ever happens, you beat me, we'll go again and I'll spray. But i don't like to do it if i don't need to so where you standing?? Or maybe you think like Spaz and actually believe it takes nitrous for me to run 8.8s? My best time is 8.87, my best with nitrous spinning first and second is 8.82 @ 165.25 , that was the 4th pass on the bottle and the first was really bad coming out of the hole( non sprayed track) I think it was a 8.9 something but @ 167. Second pass was 166.79@ 8.85 but i would imagine with a good track I'll be in the higher 8.6s anyway. So what do you got for me? And I do race out of fun also, and spaz will be the first and probably only one i will run for 100.00 with him spraying and me not.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2004, 07:19:39 PM »
Quote from: whtrthanu
This is good shit I feel like Im in brooklyn.......

:lol:

Now what were we talking about.. Oh yeah the head.

Yes, have it ported . Hope we've answered your question!! :lmao:

Steve- see, i answered his question. :lol:

Offline Bayou Busa

• Post Master
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2004, 07:27:12 PM »
What does Bayou Busa race ? The keyboard ....

Nah...a 1397!

Too bad you're up there and I'm down here!
  "All Motor"

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2004, 07:35:15 PM »
Excellent !!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Mike Barger

• Rider
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2004, 10:47:57 PM »
Its simple, you run 8.70s or better, i'll use the nitrous, you run 8.80s or higher, I go on motor if this ever happens, you beat me, we'll go again and I'll spray.

You better have the bottle ready to race Bhartley!   :lol:  

I went out today and rode with a buddy of mine with a big motored busa and we did plenty of roll-ons, let me say he was very pissed that a little 1000 can PULL from his busa.  I was foot shifting and he has auto shift.  Hmmmmm!  He has dynoed at 190+ hp too.   :lol:  :wink:  Looks like we need to try some different gearing on his bike, maybe it's too tall!

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2004, 04:30:38 AM »
I'd be pissed too if I couldn't pull away from a bike that runs 143mph in a 1/4 mile. But lucky for me a roll on with you would be a joke. Be the same as rolling with a stock busa. :roll:

Offline bhartley

• Rider
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2004, 05:58:14 AM »
Like I said before that is a good running bike .
But why have Nitrous and not use it . Are you afraid it is going to blow up ?
You just said you had plenty of money to do what you want so why not use it . You said it should run 8.60's but runing that and thinking it will run that is a different story . I hope you can run that but picking up 2.5 to 3 tenths is easier said then done .  I race for fun also . To me it is just another hobbie . If we go to the track sometime maybe you will want to run my street car also . I just like to race . Win or lose it does not make a difference to me . Like you said I know what your bike runs so if I was not sure I would win why would I have offered to race you . I am not going to get in a pissing match I try to be friends with everyone so if you want we can race anytime or we can just hang out sometime . How is the riding and racing up there ? I try to go to different towns during the summer to hang out .

Bhartly- wiesco 12:1s aint no big compression motor.  :roll:  And as far as the nitrous, never used it yet on a turbo bike, you really think you'll be the first that i'll need it on huh? So what kind of times are you running that makes you think that. And don't give me no BS about not wanting your times out there. Everybody knows what I run. I post everytime i run what I run. But I can do this cause they are usually pretty good numbers, so how about you or are you embarrased to tell or talking out of your ass like Spaz and Mike do??? Its simple, you run 8.70s or better, i'll use the nitrous, you run 8.80s or higher, I go on motor if this ever happens, you beat me, we'll go again and I'll spray. But i don't like to do it if i don't need to so where you standing?? Or maybe you think like Spaz and actually believe it takes nitrous for me to run 8.8s? My best time is 8.87, my best with nitrous spinning first and second is 8.82 @ 165.25 , that was the 4th pass on the bottle and the first was really bad coming out of the hole( non sprayed track) I think it was a 8.9 something but @ 167. Second pass was 166.79@ 8.85 but i would imagine with a good track I'll be in the higher 8.6s anyway. So what do you got for me? And I do race out of fun also, and spaz will be the first and probably only one i will run for 100.00 with him spraying and me not.
Turbo R1 ----- 2003 Busa

Offline bhartley

• Rider
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2004, 06:00:46 AM »
And yes you should port your head . Easy horsepower.
Turbo R1 ----- 2003 Busa

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2004, 12:34:50 PM »
Pat Dietrich AKA Backpeddler, chicken shit, scaredy cat or St.Louis Red. U take your pick It all comes out the same!!!

Care to explain your comment, or do you just like talking out of your fat ass?? I never back peddle, not scared to run Ryan Schnitz, sure as hell aint scared to run an R1 turbo or not. Some of us have jobs that we are responsible for. Thats why I can live in the house i'm in and buy what I want when i need to buy it. I invited him here if he cares to make the trip. Now what big mouth?? And by the way, who is St louis red??Oh and back at you dick breath :bigfu:  :bigfu:

I'm re-reading through this and don't see where it says I have plenty of money??? I have enough I can buy what I want when I need it, but I don't have plenty.If I did I would have a new vette. :(
But to answer your question, yeah I'm afraid to blow it up. Regardless if I have the money to fix it or not (and mike can back this up) No fun having a bike torn down over the riding season. So...... If I don't have to use it I won't.
Curious here, if you know you can beat me for a fact (obviously you can fore see the future) Tell me what my time with nitrous was compared to your time with your bike. Also like to know what my 60 and 330 was so I know if it needs improvement. Appreciate it. :lol:  As for the pissing match, if you seen a big pissing match going on why would you get in the middle of it if you didn't want to get in one?? HMMM, not using our heads very well now are we?
So I guess to answer my question up above, your not proud of the numbers you put down with your bike so you don't want to post any. Thats fine.
Another question, why would you only want to run someone you KNOW you can beat?? Isn't that boring? Personally, I like to run drag bikes or turbo bikes so it's a fun race anyway, but guess thats just me. And once again your welcome to come over anytime this year if we get a good day on a weekend or next year anytime, I promise I won't be a dick. Just on here. :lol:

Offline BELLMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2004, 12:41:18 PM »
You PROMISE you won't be a dik? :drink:

Offline bhartley

• Rider
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2004, 12:57:40 PM »

I'm re-reading through this and don't see where it says I have plenty of money??? I have enough I can buy what I want when I need it, but I don't have plenty.If I did I would have a new vette. :(
But to answer your question, yeah I'm afraid to blow it up. Regardless if I have the money to fix it or not (and mike can back this up) No fun having a bike torn down over the riding season. So...... If I don't have to use it I won't.
Curious here, if you know you can beat me for a fact (obviously you can fore see the future) Tell me what my time with nitrous was compared to your time with your bike. Also like to know what my 60 and 330 was so I know if it needs improvement. Appreciate it. :lol:  As for the pissing match, if you seen a big pissing match going on why would you get in the middle of it if you didn't want to get in one?? HMMM, not using our heads very well now are we?
So I guess to answer my question up above, your not proud of the numbers you put down with your bike so you don't want to post any. Thats fine.
Another question, why would you only want to run someone you KNOW you can beat?? Isn't that boring? Personally, I like to run drag bikes or turbo bikes so it's a fun race anyway, but guess thats just me. And once again your welcome to come over anytime this year if we get a good day on a weekend or next year anytime, I promise I won't be a dick. Just on here. :lol:

1. I will race anybody I don't care if I can beat them or not . I am not going to bet big money on a race if I know I can't win .
2.You asked what your time with nitrous was compared to my time with my bike.  (Not fast or quick enough yet) I am sure in perfect conditions it would be a great race but since you have not gotten down the track yet with the spray you don't have any idea what you will run. ( Might be alot quicker then me ) Who Knows.
3. I did not try to jump in a pissing match . Just stated that I know for a fact the Mike's bike has ran quicker then 9.70's on the motor.
4. I never said I was not proud of what my bike run's  . I just don't feel the need to brag about it .
5. You posted what you 60 foot times were and they seemed fine to me .
I am sure all of ours could be better . But I guess if we could all ride like Ryan we would be racing for a living . But since most of us can't ride like him we will just have to make do with our times .

I will get up that way sometime . I am sure it would be a good time .
Turbo R1 ----- 2003 Busa

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2004, 03:30:09 PM »
Like you said I know what your bike runs so if I was not sure I would win why would I have offered to race you .

1- Looks to me that you won't race unless your sure you'll beat them. isn't that why you offered? you said it yourself. Now you're saying you'll race anyone. WTF . Make up your mind.

2- I have nothing for that one :roll:

3- You said a lot quicker. That would be in my territory, and we both know he couldn't run 8.8s with nitrous. :lol:

4- I don't feel its bragging, just sharing but if it's embarrassing to you don't worry about it, just takes practice, you'll get it. :wink:

5- last time i ran my 60s sucked but still somehow was able to run 8.89 with a 1.54 60. Now if i would have run one of my best 60( I know would have, should have :roll: ) Very possible i may have a high 8.70. That will be my goal for next season.

6- how long is your bike?
 You running a lock-up or is yours a street bike where you have to rely on skill to get out of the hole?? Yeah , that was a crack on mike :lol: ( but at some point I may end up with one and then i'll take it back, but not until then).
What kind of mph you getting 1/8th and 1/4?

It will be a good time. You can line up with 469boy and his turbo bike that he has no idea how to ride cause he won't take it to the strip. :lol:  ( i know you are reading this :P ) And after you beat him , i'll go ahead and put you in your place. See ya next year, should be a good summer( for me anyway :lmao: )

Offline bhartley

• Rider
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2004, 06:03:39 AM »
1. I said I would race anyone period . Since you don't seem to understand that mean's I will race anything or anyone for free. I will also race for money but I an not going to bet large amount's of money if I am not sure I will win . Maybe that is something you would do but most would not .

3. I believe he (Mike) has ran 8.85 with nos at a 60" race last year . I might be wrong it would not be the first time .

4. What is embarrassing to me ? Do you mean that a built 1397 motor with am arm and spray run's high 8's low 9's . Maybe that is embarrassing . Let's see a stock motor and wheelbase one lowered with a pipe and filter & airbox mod can run 9.40's and 50's at 144 to 145 mph. Just think if you ad Nutec and a dryshot to the stock one . Should be pretty close. Don't take that the wrong way your bike runs good but I just expected those mods might run better then that . I don't have a built motor in my busa so I can't compair .

5. 8.89 with a 1.54 60 foot time is not hard to do.

My bike is 63 inches long.
I have a single stage lockup . No multi stage here . They don't even make them for my bike. Yep mine is a street bike . That is why I rode it over 250 miles on the street after Prostar . Did not see you out at all.

Should be a good summer for all of us .
Turbo R1 ----- 2003 Busa