Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Supercharged Vette Pulls ON Modded 04 R1 (190 MPH) VID..  (Read 10283 times)

Offline JBSBLOWNC5

• Rider
    • http://www.jbsblownc5.com
Supercharged Vette Pulls ON Modded 04 R1 (190 MPH) VID..
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2004, 11:34:49 PM »
Quote from: BiggerDanno
You guys just don't get it.

This is a kick-ass car, very fast. We have run against this car before, know the car and the driver. :thumb:

One thing to remember is that a high-hp car will pull a stock or lightly modded bike at anything from 160mph and up.

Was he going 190? Didn't look like it to me, but if he says he was, I believe him.

Was the R1 rider riding to his abilities? Probably. Maybe not to the bike's abilities. Would the outcome be different with a different rider? Probably not. Would the outcome be different with a different driver in the car? Most probable...slower. He knows his car and how to drive it.

Good video!! :beechug:

Thanks Danno!!! :beechug:
98 Supercharged Corvette with Alky injection
Big Brembo brakes
Suspension mods
Built Bottom end
Built Tranny and Diff
etc etc...
637 RWHP 562 RWT

Offline JBSBLOWNC5

• Rider
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2004, 11:37:22 PM »
Quote from: Twisted
Quote from: JBSBLOWNC5
Quote from: THEMOTORHEAD
DID NOT LOOK LIKE 190 TO ME BUT WHO KNOWS

Well, it's your board and you guys sure do defend it!

I'll admit that it was probably only 187, and I just rounded up to 190 to make it sound better. If you look real close,  you can see the speedo cross 180 right before I put my hand back on the wheel from shifting to sixth. I then get back into it for a bit.

That R1 has done 189 MPH.

No disrespect to the Busas, I have a very old Madura 1200 sitting in the garage, and have looked into buying a Busa a few times.

Thanks for the few decent comments,
A Cage

190, maybe indicated? you need gps in the cams feild of veiw while you race, just my opinion though, good rider on the yam? dont think so, not even close...

beat a good rider on a fast literbike in street twisties? nope, heres why...

a bike can pass you at will  almost anywhere and not use up much of the road, a car on the otherhand, must use an entire lane? you gonna slap your 800 hp into oncoming traffic in a blind corner? didnt think so.

are you gonna out accelerate a literbike out of the corner and through the straights? nope... why? cuz you cant hook up! the cars these guys are talking about that will do better lap times are autos that are set up for road racing and that means they have the proper suspension, and I can tell by that vid, YOU DONT! not only that you are not running a "RACE" compound.

autos that have better lap times than bikes use tires that are good for about 100 miles depending on how hard you are pushing them, they also have a ton of cabbage into their suspensions, and "MASTERS" to set up those suspensions.

that vid was a few minutes long, can you push it for a tankfull? 150 miles of twisties? if you tried to keep up with a good rider on a fast literbike, your brembos would be smokin like a peace pipe in a pow wow, and they would eventually fade and your entry would slow to a standstill, any literbike once behind you would pass you as you lunkered along.

you found a big huckleberry bush here, lots of berries to pick, and some of em even have their own cams...

maybe you want to get something going in the twisties? we'll give ya some time to get your suspension right...

make for a good vid I suppose....  :D

Nice explanation, too bad it does't apply here.... :roll:
Big Brembo brakes
Suspension mods
Built Bottom end
Built Tranny and Diff
etc etc...
637 RWHP 562 RWT

Offline JBSBLOWNC5

• Rider
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2004, 11:52:34 PM »
sure its a fast car, I get it, but that "so called" race was from a roll on, many many canyon roads will slow you down to 20 mph, even the cars. you know a bike will out accelerate the car from the dig or slow roll cuz it has better traction, he flogs it at the apex with his set up and hes in the ditch...

besides that there is still the passing factor? I will pass him in a blinder, will he pass me?

for him to do any good the race will have to be in an area where the speeds will constanlty be in the excess of 180 mph?

what canyon twisties have that?

I will concede to a formula one or cart in the canyons, but a top end vette? NEVER!!!

in any event there is only one way to find out what a fast literbike will do against that car in the twisties.... not that nit on the R-1 either, that dood in the vette pulled one of his plug wires and he didnt even know it  :shock:

The dude on the R1 is a very good rider, I have more vid that will show his skill.  We did not set out to race, more just to have fun shooting some vid. This is just one scene out of the hour and a half ride that I showed. In the video he is a little faster then me in some places and I pull him in others. My 6K Brembos lasted all day and never faded.

once my tires heat up a bit, I can stand on it out of the apex using a bit of throtle control. Never been in a ditch and don't plan on it either!

As usual the internet can twist things out of their original intent.

I have beaten and pulled on liter bikes, that does not mean I can do it on all liter bikes and their riders.

:beechug:  :beechug:
Big Brembo brakes
Suspension mods
Built Bottom end
Built Tranny and Diff
etc etc...
637 RWHP 562 RWT

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2004, 11:56:57 PM »
Busa@11k wrote:

About the best a bike can pull in a corner is 1 g (45 deg lean angle) or maybe a hair more.

Motorcyclist magazine (uh,oh a magazine quote, must be serious  :lol:)
Compared a bone stock GSXR1000, against a stock 405 hp Z06 at willow springs raceway.

Kevin Schwantz was the rider, and driver (he also professionally raced cars).

Anyway, the bike pulled a 1.3g max. and absolutely crushed the Z06 in lap times.

Obviously the Vette in this video is making alot more power than a stock Vette.

As for the claimed speed, I do know that videos always look slower than you are actually going.

I just think it's a cool video, thanks for posting it.    8)

Offline SuperGrizz

• Mad Post Whore
  • Boost = Good
    • California Superbikes
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2004, 12:07:25 AM »
One aspect that I find is lacking in any race video like this is mention of the road conditions - look at the road, it's beat to sh*t in some areas. And while a car can handle these no problem, a bike cannot always push it over thrashed roads. And as such, this is an example of where a car has superiority over a car. On a race track, clean road, no oncoming traffic, plenty of area to slide out on, a bike will outrun the car, but that's not the intent - as the driver clearly intends, this is a real world race. So I give you mad props for having a fast as hell car, and more importantly, the ability to drive it.

Grizz
HOME OF THE OG KANOOTER VALVE

The Rider Formerly Known as TurboGrizz
Now 400 hp Supercharged GSXR 1000 (plus a little juice)

Offline FullTilt

• Post Master
    • http://www.fulltiltlife.com
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2004, 02:17:43 AM »
Nice Joel. I know the road. Careful there as I've seen some 'official road inspectors' keeping track of things at that particular point.

And guys, I've pulled a GPS we stashed in the back of Joel's car out after a run and seen 185 on it. AND if I recall correctly, that was before he made a number of improvements that boosed his HP another 50 to the RW. If it wasn't 190, it was within 5% of it. It is slightly downhill at that spot, too.

Brave man jumping into the shark tank, Joel. Good on ya!
)<

"It isn't easy being green." - Kermit

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2004, 02:50:33 AM »
Quote from: THEMOTORHEAD
DID NOT LOOK LIKE 190 TO ME BUT WHO KNOWS

Well, it's your board and you guys sure do defend it!

I'll admit that it was probably only 187, and I just rounded up to 190 to make it sound better. If you look real close,  you can see the speedo cross 180 right before I put my hand back on the wheel from shifting to sixth. I then get back into it for a bit.

That R1 has done 189 MPH.

No disrespect to the Busas, I have a very old Madura 1200 sitting in the garage, and have looked into buying a Busa a few times.

Thanks for the few decent comments,
A Cage

190, maybe indicated? you need gps in the cams feild of veiw while you race, just my opinion though, good rider on the yam? dont think so, not even close...

beat a good rider on a fast literbike in street twisties? nope, heres why...

a bike can pass you at will  almost anywhere and not use up much of the road, a car on the otherhand, must use an entire lane? you gonna slap your 800 hp into oncoming traffic in a blind corner? didnt think so.

are you gonna out accelerate a literbike out of the corner and through the straights? nope... why? cuz you cant hook up! the cars these guys are talking about that will do better lap times are autos that are set up for road racing and that means they have the proper suspension, and I can tell by that vid, YOU DONT! not only that you are not running a "RACE" compound.

autos that have better lap times than bikes use tires that are good for about 100 miles depending on how hard you are pushing them, they also have a ton of cabbage into their suspensions, and "MASTERS" to set up those suspensions.

that vid was a few minutes long, can you push it for a tankfull? 150 miles of twisties? if you tried to keep up with a good rider on a fast literbike, your brembos would be smokin like a peace pipe in a pow wow, and they would eventually fade and your entry would slow to a standstill, any literbike once behind you would pass you as you lunkered along.

you found a big huckleberry bush here, lots of berries to pick, and some of em even have their own cams...

maybe you want to get something going in the twisties? we'll give ya some time to get your suspension right...

make for a good vid I suppose....  :D

Nice explanation, too bad it does't apply here.... :roll:

which part? you really think you can hold off a liter bike out of the hole? or you thinking a rolling start? just find a route you are confident there will be no incoming traffic, because to pass you will need half of the oncoming traffics lane.... I on the other hand will adjust your mirror on the way by with room to spare, yes, I share the road.....

my attack would be simple, I would just out brake you....  :-)

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2004, 03:09:02 AM »
you simply CAN NOT out brake a modern day sportbike, I can go WAAAAAAAAY deeper than you, and 800 hp is just about enough to keep even with one on the straights? I cant see a plan here?

your guy was not riding that R-1, or he just tired and you showed us video of the only time you passed him?

also, I have never seen anyone in a race change lanes to let someone pass?

if your just saying you did 190 down a straight stretch of road, oh, cool.

if your saying you can beat up on literbikes on the streets, I would like the chance to show you something a little different...

Offline COLDSTONE1300

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2004, 04:27:45 AM »
JS good to see your car again. I can't figure out why peeps are giving ya shit. Hell your car has been here before twice in the fulltilt/nickslick video and the other vid with you chasing the '04 r1 through the canyons. Good run and nice vid. Hopefully we'll see you and nickslicks corner carver Hayabusa do a run through the curves soon.

Quote from: dakinebusa
When it comes to either acceleration or top end...cars ultimately rule.
A look at the SCTA or NHRA record book proves that.
Cars have better traction and aerodynamics.

Not quite. In terms of the absolute pinnacle of Controlled conditions Performance on a Race track, yes. On the street however, it's a different story. How many Bonneville stream liners and john force dragster clones has anyone encountered on the streets or when filling up at the gas station lately? In terms of us mere mortals and what we can encounter on the road,  There's quite a few so called street legal cars that'll do 9's, 8's and even 7's at the track and supposedly on the street too. However theres modded Street legal drag bikes that can do the same thing for less cash and better reliability as well. And usually boasting a much better top end speed despite being geared for drag racing (not always the story with a car set up for the 1/4. One quick example being Dana's Supra in a recent run with nickslicks "Corner carver" Hayabusa.)

For top end, I haven't seen too many Mclaren owners posting GPS pics of 240+mph runs (even though the car has done this on a closed long oval course). Quite a few people here and on other busa boards have showed their turbo busa's dancing at this speed with breath left. And I have yet to see anything official dubbing the new Bugatti world record rights for hitting it's long "Estimated" top speed of 250+mph while some sites are claiming 252mph. In terms of street car the Sledgehammer corvette outright owns top rights for hitting 254.76 mph at Transportation Research Center - a 7.5 mile oval with steeply banked turns and straightaways that stretch to the horizon. The Yancy's turbo busa just busted it's own 250mph record at maxton hitting 256.4mph from a dead stop In One Mile. Given that this is a stock framed/wheelbase Street legal turbo busa with (at last check) around 450hp on tap, there's quite a few bikes that are alot more lethal roaming the highways right now. With that in mind the top speed of cars like the above mentioned is one thing, How quick you get there is another. A Ghetto kit 270hp Turbo busa will hit 220mph alot quicker then any mclaren, bugatti, or sledgehammer vette on the highway. And being there's not many roads that mimic a 7 to 10 mile perfectly smooth oval course to gradually build up speed on, this doesn't help the supercars much at all in light of What a Turbo busa has shown to do mostly on the streets as well as the track.

Quote from: Busa@11K

I'll put in my 2 cents.  A properly setup hi-pro sports car will most likely out do a bike in tight twisty roads.  About the best a bike can pull in a corner is 1 g (45 deg lean angle) or maybe a hair more.  An insane street car will pull a tighter corner, unless maybe the raod is just rough as hell.  Now if the road was tight corners with long straights between corners it might be able to pull the car on the straights.

As someone else brought up the motorcyclists article, lets keep in mind this is still in chasing a somewhat stock bike. R1 was said to be modded for 190hp, but no verification yet. However we still haven't gone into modding the bike's handling abilities which would make for a huge difference be it road or track.

Quote from: SPEED KING
On a semi tight twisty track with small straights a car will ALWAYS have the track record...PERIOD!  !  Can't beat physics!

Fastbikes magazine  just so happened to one up the motorcyclist test by doing a similar test at a smaller/ tighter track, better cars ( Lambo Murcielago , Porsche 911 GT3 , Radical SR3 Tracksport http://www.radicalextremesportscars.com/index.php ) , and ace racers for both the bike and cars. They used a stock Gixxer 1000 and a crescent tuned Road legal Gixxer 1000 with motor pumping 180hp, ohlins suspension, and better brakes. Besides dusting the cars in the straight line , at the road course neither the lambo (time of 1min 11.5 sec) or Custom Porsche (time of 1min 10.9sec) could beat even the STOCK gixxer 1000 (time of 1min 09.0 sec). The Radical Blistered the track with a best of 1min 5.6 sec and with a power to weight ratio of 449bhp per ton, I doubt theres any street car that can better something like this little car in cornering ability. Thing is the Crescent Gixxer beat this as well ( time of 1min 5.4sec). And there's still alot of mod potential left in this bike too. God only knows just what's going to be possible performance wise when people start tweaking the '05 1000.

Turbogrizz brought up a good point with road conditions. Thing is i've actually left cars behind in some parts that would be bumpy for a cage to rake 4 wheels across them at high speed in mid curve, but after time i've found a few of these bumpy parts to have a few smooth areas that if you enter and hold the line right you can track through pretty smoothly on a bike at a really good clip and still stay in one lane. Not really a option with a car (even a Radical).  Also keep in mind if the car isn't set up as right and well as this vette, things can Break all too easy when pushing a car hard in the turns. Especially on a bumpy road.  But JS mentioned neither he or the R1 rider was going too nuts on these curves and we all see that both machines still had alot left to use. They had fun and if both parties are doing that then that's what counts in the end.

Thing is I've got to know, just What was the bike in front of you and the R1? I can barely make it out but the tail almost looks like a '03 or '02 R1?  :shock:

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2004, 06:29:29 AM »
Quote from: COLDSTONE1300
JS good to see your car again. I can't figure out why peeps are giving ya shit. Hell your car has been here before twice in the fulltilt/nickslick video and the other vid with you chasing the '04 r1 through the canyons. Good run and nice vid.

2 reasons I can see for these guys to be hassling Joel -

1) They don't know he's been in Nick/Danno/Kerry's other vids and are rightfully skeptical of any car guy that comes on the board and claims to beat a bike at anything.

2) They can't afford a car like his.

:mrgreen:

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »
Quote from: Tafnar
Should have bought a GN instead.

HA!  That is hilarious.

BTW, what do you drive?  A Kia?

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2004, 07:11:44 AM »
I DONT DOUBT THE GUY 190 IS NO VERY FAST
AN R1 HAS NO REAL AEROS TO COMPETE UP TOP
BESIDES 600+ HP CAR SHOULD PULL GOOD ON A STOCK BIKE
I LIKE BIKES AND CARS AND AM GLD THE 2 WORLDS COME TOGETHER FROM TIME TO TIME

Offline Cecil_Stringer

• Post Master
  • Velocity Powered
    • http://web.tampabay.rr.com/cstringer/
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2004, 07:40:32 AM »
Sweet Video!

Got any pics of the Vette?
Semper Fi,
Cecil out...

Offline BOOSTED

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2004, 08:19:23 AM »
Stop bashing this guy he only shared his video with us, he didn't say i'll take out any busa! Cool vid bro.
Unless u r the lead dog  the view never changes

Offline Orient Express Rob

• Rider
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2004, 09:45:20 AM »
Did someone say something about a boosted minvan spanking a vette??

http://www.turbominivan.com/videos/clif1256.wmv

12.56 would spank many a doctor driving a vette...
Rob Hughes
OrientExpress Powersports
1-800-645-6521

Offline Highabuser

• New User!
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2004, 10:29:16 AM »
gee this thread is hilarious ...
Great vid...thanx for sharing
 awesome Vette too,but
 twisted is right on...ditto.
what sort of cash has JB spent on his Vette
 and how many  turbo Busa's could you buy for that is my point!

POWER TO WEIGHT  rules
.........SPEED.........
nothing else matters

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2004, 01:01:49 PM »
Coldstone 1300 wrote:

Thing is the Crescent Gixxer beat this as well ( time of 1min 5.4sec).

In that story, Niall Mackenzie, the rider, also said he only went just fast enough to beat the Radicals best time.

He could've run quicker, but after beating the Radical, there wasn't much point in pushing any harder.

The Radical is an interesting custom built "car", powered by a built Hayabusa motor.

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2004, 01:13:33 PM »
Quote from: Highabuser
gee this thread is hilarious ...
Great vid...thanx for sharing
 awesome Vette too,but
 twisted is right on...ditto.
what sort of cash has JB spent on his Vette
 and how many  turbo Busa's could you buy for that is my point!

POWER TO WEIGHT  rules

:lol2: ... it always comes down to "how much money did it take?" when a car is made to perform like a bike in the speed world.  We all know that cars and bikes are two different worlds, and of course it's gonna take money to make a car perform like a hot bike. :duh:

As a fellow gearhead, I don't care about the cost factor, but the fact that an everyday street car can be modified to perform in this lofty realm and still have a license plate on it.  8)
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

suzuki4life

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2004, 01:15:18 PM »
Quote from: WayneE
Quote from: COLDSTONE1300
JS good to see your car again. I can't figure out why peeps are giving ya shit. Hell your car has been here before twice in the fulltilt/nickslick video and the other vid with you chasing the '04 r1 through the canyons. Good run and nice vid.

2 reasons I can see for these guys to be hassling Joel -

1) They don't know he's been in Nick/Danno/Kerry's other vids and are rightfully skeptical of any car guy that comes on the board and claims to beat a bike at anything.

2) They can't afford a car like his.

:mrgreen:

how about the fact that most of us have spanked cars who made similar claims. Or do we need the Walser bullshit to start up again and debate about missed shifts etc? Face facts Wayne, car guys who come here with under 20 posts and post a video claiming to beat a bike are here for one thing and one thing only, to stir shit.

I love cars, and yep it takes TONS of cash to build a fast one. BUT in reality if you are looking to go fast, doesn't intelligence just say go buy a bike and work wiuth the better base rather than just waste your inheritance?

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2004, 01:24:34 PM »
Quote from: suzuki4life

I love cars, and yep it takes TONS of cash to build a fast one. BUT in reality if you are looking to go fast, doesn't intelligence just say go buy a bike and work wiuth the better base rather than just waste your inheritance?

Everyone is entitled to spend cash the way they see fit, so it doesn't make sense to expect everyone to not want to modify a car and spend "tons of cash" just because you wouldn't.  :roll:   Lame excuses is all that is ... if someone wants to spend a million dollars making some insane street car then more power to him.  And if that car could smoke anything on the road, then anyone getting beat will cry that it took a million dollars to make it that way.  So what?  If you don't want to race anything that is never modified with extra money, then I guess bikes would just be racing bikes and that would be boring in the long run. :(   It's two different worlds ... always gotta keep that perspective.
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2004, 01:32:32 PM »
Busa@11k wrote:

Everyone is entitled to spend cash the way they see fit, so it doesn't make sense to expect everyone to not want to modify a car and spend "tons of cash" just because you wouldn't. Rolling Eyes Lame excuses is all that is ... if someone wants to spend a million dollars making some insane street car then more power to him. And if that car could smoke anything on the road, then anyone getting beat will cry that it took a million dollars to make it that way. So what?

Pretty much what I was about to post, word for word.

And someone stated: How many turboBusas could you build for the cost of that car?.

My response is: Maybe he'll build several turboBusas, in addition to that car.  :wink:

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2004, 01:35:38 PM »
racing the "streets" and on "closed courses" are a lot different...

a closed course is a loop, basically you find the straightest, fastest line around the course and hope you stick. there is no speed limit on a racetrack!

closed courses are repetative, same thing over and over and over and over and over.... most have runoff, etc.

the street however is a totally different animal, there is no "race line", racing on the streets is all about hand, eye, and reaction. and who is willing to push it the hardest. also there is usually oncoming and upcoming traffic... way more variables to consider on the street than a track.

you cannot adjust your suspension or tire pressure to exploit every entry and exit, with a "street setup" you have no brake markers, corner workers or crews removing hazards. there is a whole lot more nerve and skill involved racing the streets.

to make a comparison as to what the outcome of a sportbike/auto street race would be with laps times of sportbike/autos on closed course racetracks is rediculous... no two ways about it!  two completely different races....

especially if its a twisty road neither has been on before...

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2004, 01:36:36 PM »
Quote from: 02SE
Busa@11k wrote:

Everyone is entitled to spend cash the way they see fit, so it doesn't make sense to expect everyone to not want to modify a car and spend "tons of cash" just because you wouldn't. Rolling Eyes Lame excuses is all that is ... if someone wants to spend a million dollars making some insane street car then more power to him. And if that car could smoke anything on the road, then anyone getting beat will cry that it took a million dollars to make it that way. So what?

Pretty much what I was about to post, word for word.

And someone stated: How many turboBusas could you build for the cost of that car?.

My response is: Maybe he'll build several turboBusas, in addition to that car.  :wink:

maybe so, but can he ride them?

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2004, 01:52:54 PM »
How well does he have to ride them?.

Is he the next Valentino Rossi?, probably not. But then it's probably safe to say that none of us is.   :wink:

(And before anyone starts the Rossi bashing, some of his fellow MotoGP competitors have stated that they consider him the greatest rider of all time)  

My point is, who cares how much he, or anyone, spends on a car?. If a person can afford it, then more power to them.

Any complaining about it by others, is simply jealousy.   :yes:

Offline BiggerDanno

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • HOW FAST IS FAST?
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2004, 02:03:14 PM »
One thing people have failed to realize here it that it was not a race that was videoed. It was some canyon carving that at one point gave an opportunity to open it up a little and the vette pulled the R1 when this happened. After having seen Joel's vette and what it can do, any other outcome would suprise me.

It was not a race!

Here's a vid of the same car vs. an '02 R1 (starting about 2:15 into the vid)
The R1 pulls at the beginning, but the vette reels it in. Video
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams...John Barrymore

Too much power is addictive!!!