Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2005 Bonneville rule changes  (Read 17938 times)

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
2005 Bonneville rule changes
« on: January 14, 2005, 12:08:19 PM »
First, it looks mostly like language changes, but there are some definitive changes too.

A few quick questions if someone has the answers:

1. All owners, riders, and crews are responsible for the maintenance of their pit area and will be expected to present a neat and respectable appearance.

Do the car guys have this added to their rules too?  :roll:

2. 7.B.27  Handlebars: Handlebars must be made of steel, aluminum, or titanium or other material approved by the Technical Committee.

I assume carbon fiber would be OK?

3. 7.E.1.11 Suspension height adjustment:  OEM Specification for minimum ground clearance must be met.

What does this mean? Standard OEM spec for that model?  :(

4. 7.B.2.2   Ignition Kill Switch Lanyard

All motorcycles must be equipped with a tether type mechanical device attached to the vehicle and the rider so the engine ignition is shut-off if the rider becomes separated from the motorcycle.

7.B.2.3  Fuel Pump Stop Switch Lanyard

All motorcycles must be equipped with a tether type mechanical device attached to the vehicle and the rider so the electric fuel pump, if equipped, is shut-off if the rider becomes separated from the motorcycle.

But, this is one in the same for FI bikes correct?

But you gotta love the Guthrie rule:

Gas tank with less that 1.32 gal capacity. Larger gas tanks may not be ‘stuffed’ to achieve this volume.

Offline joea

• Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 12:17:53 PM »
have you tried asking the actual tech inspectors who will be
signing off on such details????????????

I enjoy being an instigator alot ...........but this is one area that I hope
we can support the SCTA..........they have some new folks on board,
FRESH blood...........who bring alot of clarity to the scta bike side of things.....

if you carefully read the new rules changes, it has been positively enhanced bigtime

final tire rules are continuing to be hashed out...................

Joe :)
ex busa owner
not worthy

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 12:45:41 PM »
Dr Amo, dont get me wrong, I think they are very positive changes, but thought the "pit area" thing was a slap in the face. maybe unintentially, but none the less, inappropriate.

I am just a rookie team owner and project manager and trying to make sure I am as prepared to the smallest detail as I can be. Something always though will come up, and if I can reduce those "somethings", I will be that much better off? the reason why I have spoken to Larry, Steve, Scott, John and have people like Hank in my corner.

Look forward to meeting you later in the year. :thumb:

Offline joea

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 02:02:24 PM »
I have no interest in the title of Dr...........

hope to meet you as well.............

trying to help..........

been down the clarification road before.........

I didnt know you had Hank in your corner, in that case
dont worry about the inspectors................

aint that right Hank,  you of all people carry alot of clout on the salt........

ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 04:25:12 PM »
You may or may not know this, but Nowadays the Term Dr. Comes from Dr. "J" (Julius Irving) because they liked how he operated on the Basket Ball court. By Contrast, we like how you operate at the Race Track and the "Tools" you use. I am sure that no offense was meant and when I come there I will be bringing Block 75  :roll: (No Sun Tan Lotion for me!! Not good enough :D:D) Maybe I will share with Nancy Wennerberg :D:D
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 05:17:46 PM »
Hey 3B, just a heads-up Goliad has some new rules too. Most important
imposed by car tech guys:

All motorcycle participants most have their butt cheeks safety wired to seat :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  in case of high speed incident. :P  :P  :P  :P  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 05:42:03 PM »
Quote from: joea
have you tried asking the actual tech inspectors who will be
signing off on such details????????????

I enjoy being an instigator alot ...........but this is one area that I hope
we can support the SCTA..........they have some new folks on board,
FRESH blood...........who bring alot of clarity to the scta bike side of things.....

if you carefully read the new rules changes, it has been positively enhanced bigtime

final tire rules are continuing to be hashed out...................

Only one new rule bothers me and most of you can figure it out.. :evil:
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline landracing

• Rider
    • http://www.landracing.com
Re: 2005 Bonneville rule changes
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 05:52:13 PM »
Quote from: 3B or BBB
First, it looks mostly like language changes, but there are some definitive changes too.

2. 7.B.27  Handlebars: Handlebars must be made of steel, aluminum, or titanium or other material approved by the Technical Committee.

I assume carbon fiber would be OK?

Why would you assume that???? Why dont you make a simple phone call to the technical committee???? That would fix that.
If you goto Bonneville maybe ill meet you in the tech inspection return line. :) :)

Just giving you shit

landracing

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 06:52:18 PM »

3. 7.E.1.11 Suspension height adjustment:  OEM Specification for minimum ground clearance must be met.

What does this mean? Standard OEM spec for that model?  :(

[/quote]

Lets be clear on where this rule is, it is for PRODUCTION Class and not modified or altered. This has been the same rule for 20 years. They have just added a specific one for it. the old rule use to state, "The motorcycle must be identical in all respects to the production model it represents...any performance modifications must be out of view." so the rule is the same but because sometimes the rules are vague they must be more specific for the rule benders...

Landracing

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 06:57:09 PM »

4. 7.B.2.2   Ignition Kill Switch Lanyard

All motorcycles must be equipped with a tether type mechanical device attached to the vehicle and the rider so the engine ignition is shut-off if the rider becomes separated from the motorcycle.

7.B.2.3  Fuel Pump Stop Switch Lanyard

All motorcycles must be equipped with a tether type mechanical device attached to the vehicle and the rider so the electric fuel pump, if equipped, is shut-off if the rider becomes separated from the motorcycle.

But, this is one in the same for FI bikes correct?

[/quote]

Umm does it have a electric fuel pump, if so then re-read the above rule.
:) :) :)

Landracing

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 07:07:03 PM »

A few quick questions if someone has the answers:

1. All owners, riders, and crews are responsible for the maintenance of their pit area and will be expected to present a neat and respectable appearance.

Do the car guys have this added to their rules too?  :roll:

Car guys have always had this rule, it was the motorcycle guys who did not have it. If you read the rule book you will find this under the section 2.K appearance. Page 18 of the 2004 rule book.

Landracing

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 07:23:09 PM »
Dr Amo, dont get me wrong, I think they are very positive changes, but thought the "pit area" thing was a slap in the face. maybe unintentially, but none the less, inappropriate.

I am just a rookie team owner and project manager and trying to make sure I am as prepared to the smallest detail as I can be. Something always though will come up, and if I can reduce those "somethings", I will be that much better off? the reason why I have spoken to Larry, Steve, Scott, John and have people like Hank in my corner.

Look forward to meeting you later in the year. :thumb:

3b or BBB,

I guess to a newcomer it would come as a slap in the face. But I guess I just know the rule book pretty well  and I have been going for a few years now and I just see it as a clarifications of the rules. Again lots of the rules are really vague and they from time to time need to be more specific. As in the rule book sitting in from of me is from 1979 and for car and bikes the rule book is only 69 pages long. Todays rule book is 244. These are alot of clarifications wouldn't you say? Someone tried to bend the rules and that is where the clarifications come in, or a not clear rule. Like someone told me if the rules were meant to be bent they would have made it in hardback version.

Like on the car side of things, there was a huge clarification on class changes, because one entrant made a class change, skipped a few steps and ran well over the record like 260 mph on a 230 mph record in a car class. After words they took his record because the class change wasn't done properly. The car owners argument is that there was no written rule anywhere posted on the class change procedures. Didn't matter they took his record away anyways. But you see a clear rule written now.

Hope to meet you soon...
landracing

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 10:10:46 PM »
How do I respond to this without coming off as a potential flaming asshole? or is it too late for that?  :wink:

I just want to show up with the best laid out plan for the classes I want to run in. I want to have the tech guys say: nice job rookie. I want the timer to say "is this your first time out here?" I want the veterans to say nice work. To do that, I need to have a keen sense of what the rules actually mean, minus the gray area. I must have missed the switch to Production in regards to the height. Sorry. I have one small issue in that I dont have a contact number for any of the MC tech folks. It is nice to know I can make a phone call for clarification (carbon vs aluminum et al.)

This as many others before me, has been a long haul, but we are close now. Excitement abates nervousness. Enthusiasm displaces anxiety.

And the Dr reference was simply in acknowledgement of your history on the crusty white stuff; nothing more.

And John, the rules seem to have narrowed and clarified once again about your issue. :( Must be a bitch running AA? :D

Offline landracing

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 10:39:03 PM »
bbb,

you are not coming off as a flaming asshole, I probably did with my posts but I have come to the conclusion that you NEED a rule book. Doesn't sound like you have one. And I don't think you can pass tech without one. Even the guys who have them sometimes have a hard time.

Send me your address and I just happen to have an extra copy, a little worn, but you can have it, just send me an address.

The new rule book is coming out in Febuarary sometime... But you can have mine for now.

Can't wait to meet you and see your new project. Maybe you can do a write up on it and give it to me to post on landracing.com.

In mean time you could also send me some and I can do a general lookover.

landracing

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 11:23:01 PM »
I have an '04 rulebook and things look good. The verbage sometimes can be left to interpretation and I tend to push the envelope a bit at times so I always question.

We are hoping to put the first woman over 200mph, on a sitdown bike, anywhere, in any verifiable venue. I have two riders who are both green to LSR, but are both very experienced in road racing. With Hanks support and guidance, I think this is very do-able. We plan on making Goliad to attempt our 200 and then doing a late season event on the salt. Maxton in April and El Mirage in May if weather or circumstances don't get us there.

But, Hank is guiding me through this process and my bike will get more than a once over in Feb by him. I have been photographing the process thus far and will get some onboard footage as well. I will send you some of what I have in the next few weeks. We have many sponsors who I will thank soon too. Without the support of them and Hank, this venture just would not have happened this year.

Thanks Hank.

Offline joea

• Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 11:37:08 PM »
as far as AA issues and tires, I heard from a friend of a friend of
about some dude that thought he knew someone that was interested in the 250+ barrier (but its hush, hush)............and I suggested (again) the secret person  talk with SCTA tech......................

THE BEST AND MOST IMPORTANT PAGE IN THE RULE BOOK
IS PAGE 1...................................

maybe Jon can get permission to post it.....................

one of the many declarations on page 1 is :

"Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion
of the officials"

ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline joea

• Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 11:37:42 PM »
3b you are doing the right thing about questioning everything for clarification now............the great part of airing out questions is it will likely help many others

for the first time SCTA tech (very few) have offered to field some (not all)
questions on www.landracing.com,   this is IMMENSELY HUGE, as historically the channels were much tougher, and not public,  ALL the SCTA officials are Vounteers, most with full time careers, so they dont have time for personal debates or confrontations, but if the internet clarification, and idea, and info sharing goes well on landracing.com, we benefit, as do they,   the SCTA took in the tire experiences and views shared on the net from here and landracing.com, and are actually putting it into the recent decisions/changes

ex busa owner
not worthy

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 01:58:53 AM »
gathering data from the masses and putting it to good use?
sounds reasonable to me.

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 10:51:30 AM »
Mr Guthrie, also known as:

but ya gotta love an antogonistic creative mind?  :D  :D  :D

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2005, 05:00:35 PM »
Mr Guthrie, also known as:

but ya gotta love an antogonistic creative mind?  :D  :D  :D

He is good for a laugh and very articulate..he has taught me a few things... :D
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline JACKD

• Rider
The suck rule and the various applications
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 06:43:02 AM »
I guess that if you got beat by a blower that wasn't as windy as yours, that would be covered under the "SUCK RULE."
Of course if the class A bike had to large a tank and you got beat, that would suck for both entries.
At least the car guys haven't made it a rule yet.
 I see the logic but it fails the "WHY BOTHER TEST".
Keep the rules simple and the enforcment will follow.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005, 09:28:56 AM »
LOL STOCK HT
THEN THEY BETTER CHANGE THE MAX HUMP HT /REAR
OR BUSAS NOT GUNNA PASS
HEY OUR PITS WERE IMMACULATE :roll:  :roll:  :shock:  :D  :wink:

Offline JACKD

• Rider
I think I see a pattern
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 09:51:12 AM »
It took 10 years for the tire rules to catch up with reality.
Is the tarp and clean pits rule that is applied to everybody now repeated for the bikers because they lack common sence , need additional hand holding, or are they actually dirtier than the car people..
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 10:32:26 AM »
I would have to say that from my observation, car guys are a little more anal retentive than bike guys.  :P

Offline JACKD

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 11:31:30 AM »
I would have to say that from my observation, car guys are a little more anal retentive than bike guys.  :P

You don't have to say it, the rules will cover it.