Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: SWINGARM REMOVAL  (Read 5929 times)

Offline CHITOWNBUSA

• Rider
SWINGARM REMOVAL
« on: November 04, 2002, 04:17:00 PM »
ANYONE HAS DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO REMOVE THE SWINGARM, DO I NEED ANY SPECIAL TOOLS? PICS WOULD BE HELPFULL.
BLK&SILVER,UNDETECTABLE BY RADAR

Offline ATLbusa

• Post Master
SWINGARM REMOVAL
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 04:25:00 PM »
I dont mean to be a smart ass but you really should get a manual,  its the best tool to have in your garage, just for times like this.  Can get them for only $30 from the manual guy on the board.

Offline CHITOWNBUSA

• Rider
SWINGARM REMOVAL
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 04:42:00 PM »
COOL,I WON'T TAKE IT THAT YOU WERE TRYING TO BE A SMART ASS...THANKS FOR THE INFO
BLK&SILVER,UNDETECTABLE BY RADAR

Offline HOG SLYR

• Post Whore
SWINGARM REMOVAL
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 05:48:00 PM »
There is a special socket for the swingarm bolt. Check with TMH I think he has the special sockets for sale. Suzuki tools are a bit pricy.

Offline TaoBusa

• Post Master
    • Yorihey.com
SWINGARM REMOVAL
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2002, 06:27:00 PM »
You also need to break the chain... Well, although you don't HAVE to, but it'll make it a lot easier.

I made my own tool for the nut on the side using a large pipe that happened to be the right diameter, and grinding the sides until I had four pins. But it worked less than perfectly as it kept sliding, so I made a rig for it... A pain in the ass, in other words. You might try an autoparts store as some cars and trucks use them for the CV joints. All the people working parts here were total boneheads though, so I was stuck on my own.

If you have $150 to spare, just get the socket set. http://www.hayabusaparts.com/sockets.htm You can then remove the engine and other stuff and save yourself the headache of trying to make your own.      

Offline Bus Rydr

• Post Whore
SWINGARM REMOVAL
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 04:57:00 AM »
You'll also need a method to support the bike other than a swingarm stand.  Check with your local shop.  If you have any contacts in the service department that place you above the average customer (owning a Busa often gives you this advantage), ask nicely and they may let you borrow their special socket.  Worked fo me.

And ditto on the shop manual.  It's the best tool you'll ever buy for your bike.