Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: wide tire  (Read 12905 times)

suzuki4life

wide tire
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 11:05:24 PM »
Honda VTX puts down 100 ft/lbs at about 2500 rpms.

Hayabusa puts down about 100 ft/lbs at about what 8-9k rpms?

VTX comes stock with a 180 from the factory and it will toast it in first gear in hard roll ons. Add one of the conversion kits to it thus giving it a 240mm tire on a 8.5-9" rim(which domes the tire more than a 10" chopper rim would) and it CAN NOT spin the tire. Hmmm now its that because of traction or drive loss? Bike dyno'd within 2 hp before and after the conversion.

Now kirk, figuring the hayabusa conversion may use the same crappy 8.5-9" rim, the fact it makes hp 5500-6000 rpms higher thus at a much faster speed and considering the hayabusa will gain allot more weight on that tire than the VTX will, what makes you think the bike will have LESS straight line traction or tendancy to spin than a proven V twin?

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
wide tire
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2005, 11:13:08 PM »
A longer wheelbase messes the bike up too. I mean, if you've got 400 horsepower, you've got no choice- you pretty much gotta lengthen the bike or it'll use you for a tent peg. But on normal bikes, you don't need to go 6-8" over, even if you're drag racing. When you lengthen the arm like that, it goes without saying that it makes the bike handle like a city bus. But beyond that, it shifts more of the static weight bias to the front tire, taking weight off the rear tire. If it didn't spin before, it's gonna now. Unless you have a good, hot, sticky drag tire on it.

I'll use my bike as an example. My Hayabusa was raised an inch or so in back, the wheelbase was shortened by 5/8", and I used tallerthan stock gearing. I did not have a clutch mod (welded clutch hub) in mine, so I had to ease it off the line carefully at 2500 rpm. I took it to the drag strip and did nothing to prep it for drag racing. I didn't lower it, adjust the tire pressures, adjust the suspension, nothing. Not even a burn-off. I just rolled to the line with the tire stone cold and went for it. It was my first time at the drag strip on any kind of motorcycle, and I was still able to rip off 1.6 60' times, tripping the 60' clocks with the rear wheel. If I can do it, anybody can do it. And because the rear tire was under the bike instead of behind it, it didn't spin once. Not even a little bit.
-Kirk

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
wide tire
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2005, 11:15:27 PM »
Quote from: suzuki4life

VTX comes stock with a 180 from the factory and it will toast it in first gear in hard roll ons. Add one of the conversion kits to it thus giving it a 240mm tire on a 8.5-9" rim(which domes the tire more than a 10" chopper rim would) and it CAN NOT spin the tire. Hmmm now its that because of traction or drive loss? Bike dyno'd within 2 hp before and after the conversion.

Now kirk, figuring the hayabusa conversion may use the same crappy 8.5-9" rim, the fact it makes hp 5500-6000 rpms higher thus at a much faster speed and considering the hayabusa will gain allot more weight on that tire than the VTX will, what makes you think the bike will have LESS straight line traction or tendancy to spin than a proven V twin?

The VTX comes with a crappy cruiser tire. Chuck that puppy up on the back of my bike and I'll grind it down into two half-tires before I shift into second gear.

And, like I said, those big heavy tires take a lot of power to accelerate. The bike may have had enough power to spin a lighter crappy tire, but it apparently doesn't have the power to accelerate a big heavy crappy tire enough for it to spin.
-Kirk

suzuki4life

wide tire
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2005, 11:20:29 PM »
Quote from: Kirk
Quote from: suzuki4life

The VTX comes with a crappy cruiser tire. Chuck that puppy up on the back of my bike and I'll grind it down into two half-tires before I shift into second gear.

And, like I said, those big heavy tires take a lot of power to accelerate. The bike may have had enough power to spin a lighter crappy tire, but it apparently doesn't have the power to accelerate a big heavy crappy tire enough for it to spin.

so 2 hp is what caused it huh?  :roll: Avon makes crappy tires? Or how about metzler? :roll: Ok kirk Bostrom

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
wide tire
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2005, 11:24:18 PM »
:D
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline rdt

• Rider
wide tire
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2005, 11:44:46 PM »
Man, thanks a lot guys for the info, I know you guys are really looking out for me.I need to lower the bike because I'm only 5'4 and can't reach the floor that easy...Doug
Kirk I which I could go to the school you theach at... :lol:

BTW my Supra puts down 890hp and I did not need to xtend it....LOL

Hope this works.

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
wide tire
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2005, 11:59:51 PM »
Nice car and chic..she yours..?

Offline rdt

• Rider
wide tire
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2005, 12:02:44 AM »
The car yes, the chick no... :cry:

suzuki4life

wide tire
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2005, 12:05:12 AM »
how many car seats will that Supra back seat hold?  :P

Offline rdt

• Rider
wide tire
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2005, 12:07:53 AM »

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
wide tire
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2005, 12:08:11 AM »
Quote from: rdt
The car yes, the chick no... :cry:

Oh well, 1 out of two is not bad..

J

suzuki4life

wide tire
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2005, 12:10:21 AM »
Quote from: rdt

I need to look at Supras then. i know for a fact i couldn't get a car seat in a viper.

Offline mbs185

• Rider
wide tire
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2005, 06:39:32 PM »
I have 30,000 miles experience riding the Hayabusa with six different tire sizes and countless compounds. I am an expert-licensed road racer and I am an instructor at our track.

All I can say is that if it is "cool" to wreck a perfectly good bike like that, with no quantifiable improvement in any way, then I prefer not to be cool. I'd rather ride.

im not sying you cant ride or dont know anything im just saying anytime
someone likes or does something you dont like you feel its your duty
to tell them that there gay which in my opinion is a dick move . offering advice is one thing but shiting on people is totally diffrent
99 busa ,lowered, pipe

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
wide tire
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2005, 11:20:52 PM »
Doug, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be harsh. It's just such an incredibly bad idea that I struggle for the right words.
-Kirk

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
wide tire
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2005, 11:31:11 PM »
Kirk to each his own...give him and others a break.

K

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
wide tire
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2005, 11:41:25 PM »
Okay, Jon. That was a whole 24 hours.  :lol:

And it's still a bad idea. Road test one or something before you hack up your own bike.
-Kirk

Offline PsychoZ

• Rider
wide tire
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

And it's still a bad idea. Road test one or something before you hack up your own bike.

thats funny that you saying the fat tire conversion is a bad idea, this coming from a guy that does wheelies and stoppies on the streets with a passenger, in the eyes of alot of people that is not only a bad idea but a stupid one at that, so each to his own, right?

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
wide tire
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2005, 11:51:59 PM »
Yes, I have done some things in the past that I'm not proud of. SV Hottie is fond of poking me in the ribs whenever we get on the freeway because she wants to do second gear stand-up wheelies, but I've really chilled out a lot since I started road racing. I still do some little stoppies for her, and if the front wheel comes off the ground when getting on the freeway, so be it. But I'm really trying to behave.
-Kirk