Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: I want to lower busa  (Read 7171 times)

Offline •Khandy•Rhed•Bhusa•

• Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« on: March 16, 2005, 02:31:49 AM »
I want to lower the busa about 2-3 inches in the front. I understand a Triple tree set will take care of this?

I might lower the rear aswell so 'dog bones' will take care of this?

I have No experience at all pertaining to motorcycle suspension etc. I am doing research on this aswell, but I can not find accurate searches using the search within the site. I will post back what I know, but I have a ? how hard is it to install these parts yourself and time?

btw, I just want the lowered look for street riding, daily driver. I plan to gradually go drag route with the bike. Thanks all

Offline the shredder#3

• Rider
re lowering
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 06:18:45 AM »
2 to 3 inches at the front is to low for street riding.
If you do a wheelie at all & it comes down you have full travel in your shock's & you can damage your sump,pipes, oil cooler & front guard.
so be carefull I found out the hard way.
cya shane
HOME OF AUSTRALIAS FIRST GHETTO KIT.

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Post Master
I want to lower busa
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:09:39 PM »
I, personally, wouldn't go more than 1.5" up front and place the bolt in the middle hole of the rear dogbones if you plan to ride on the street at all....
If you go lower, you're asking for trouble.....

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 04:44:44 PM »
You can't lower the front much without having expensive parts running into things that can break them. You can dump the rear end with dog bones up to about 3", but then the steering angles will be so chopped out that it's gonna handle like a sinking freighter. And it will drag parts in corners like a Harley Briggs&Stratton.

Is it really that important to impress other people?
-Kirk

• Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 06:41:31 PM »
Wow glad that pic was posted...I guess I didn't want to go that low afterall.  I don't want to impress other people, just me.  I slammed my crx pretty low when I had it and it looked great. I prefer the look. Here is the picture that gave me the idea

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 08:04:43 PM »
I did mine second hole in back and 1 3/4 fornt off the reaper risers. Never really had a problem on the street minus my horn rubbing into my radiator.  :roll:  I not doing wheelies either.

I did it for the look. I like it. Its comfortable and I can bend my knees when i am at a light....actually i think i could before 6' but still.
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline chevelle

• Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 08:23:24 PM »
the forks taper,after aout .75 inch you begin to loose clamping force

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 08:45:49 PM »
Quote from: Hayaboosta03
Wow glad that pic was posted...I guess I didn't want to go that low afterall.  I don't want to impress other people, just me.  I slammed my crx pretty low when I had it and it looked great. I prefer the look. Here is the picture that gave me the idea

That is Dans bike at the Photoshoot we did at Bravo Burger, his bike is sweet looking....
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline Hank

• Mad Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 09:08:20 PM »
I'VE BEEN THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D
Arcane WorldWide Racing,
home of the 701 hp Hayabusa,
and the"Original Ghetto"Banana™©®.

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 09:42:31 PM »
Quote from: Hank
I'VE BEEN THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D

Prove it..got a picture..?

:P
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 11:31:59 PM »
Quote from: Hayaboosta03
...I guess I didn't want to go that low afterall.  I don't want to impress other people, just me.  I slammed my crx pretty low when I had it and it looked great. I prefer the look.

Instead of lowering it, take it to TWS for a track day if you really want to impress yourself. You may impress other people on accident. :)
-Kirk

Offline xpigrider

• Rider
I want to lower busa
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 07:41:43 AM »
I lowered mine 1.5 up front and the third hole on my dog bone.  Haven't had any problems.  I don't do wheelies, mama don't ride and you have to watch for pot hole, high railroad track, etc.  I like the look and the ride.  

Keeping in mind I do a lot of interstate riding and running through the quarter.
02 LE
"I will trust in the LORD with all my heart, and lean not unto my own understand, and in all my ways I will acknowledge him and he will direct my path"

Offline H2Ocaver

• Rider
I want to lower busa
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 09:49:58 AM »
Hope this helps-

http://www.tampabikers.com/lowering_the_busa.htm

I had never lowered anything before, this was easy but did take some time, parts are from Jack at PMRcomponents.com. They came with everything needed and very good instrutcions. If u use the steering hub stand like I did, you will need to pull the front fender because the stand won't come out once you have closed up the gap between the fender and the nose. I had to jack up the bike to get the stand out, since then I put in new brake lines that do not attache to the fender and the fender now comes out easily.
My biggest concern was making the measurements EXACTLY even on the left/right forks. It is as good as it gets witht the tools I have. I think it is perfect. Make sure u torque the fork bolts to spec. I did 2.5 down in the back and had to tighten up the spring a bunch in order to not bump the top of the rear tire, but I am a big boy and that sort of thing happens to anything I sit on. With the front and back lowered, it rides way more comfy and feels less top heavy in the crosswinds that we have going across the bridges from Tampa to St Pete. I rode from Tampa to Daytona twice last week and was actually very comfy.
Anyway, I am new at this kinda stuff, I hope I can return the help I get from the guys here-EZ

Offline Kane

• Rider
I want to lower busa
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 10:24:34 PM »
I ran my adj dog bone on the 2nd hole for the longest on my '02 Busa. Once I raised it back up to the normal height, the bike handled MUCH better.

• Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 02:11:13 AM »
thanks H2Ocaver I will check that out and pm you if I need help. I dont have a stand though

Offline rdt

• Rider
I want to lower busa
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 06:40:43 PM »
I think i will send my forks out to TRAC to get them shortened...

Offline rdt

• Rider
I want to lower busa
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 06:40:58 PM »
I think i will send my forks out to TRAC to get them shortened...

Offline soupy

• Site Supporter
  • Post Whore
    • Soupys Performance
I want to lower busa
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 09:59:27 PM »
i am selling threaded style lowering links.  very high quality at a great price.  check the for sale section.  infinitely adjustable between stock and a 3" drop!!!!  if you're interested let me know!!!
Official Site Supporter

Offline sambusa

• Post Whore
I want to lower busa
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 09:44:13 PM »
If i drop the front 1 inch the clearence betwen the fender and nose is ok for full travel front suspension.

Offline rdt

• Rider
I want to lower busa
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 11:07:05 PM »
I think the fender will hit being that low.....Doug

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
I want to lower busa
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 08:35:31 AM »
I slid my fork tubes up 1-1/4" using spacers. The brake hose has made contact with the radiator but only slightly.

I'm planning on squeezing a bit more lowering out of the front by installing 60 series front rubber. I'm going to lower the fender a bit and put on stainless brake lines to get more rad clearance.
Dave Tameling

1984 Yamaha XJ750 'Old School'
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa 'Frankenbusa'
2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J