Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: A Mod To Help Keep Your Busa From "Over-Heating"  (Read 39211 times)

Offline dcnblues

• Post Whore
    • http://home.pacbell.net/imm/
A Mod To Help Keep Your Busa From "Over-Heating"
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2005, 02:42:09 AM »
Man, that is SO wrong.  I don't think any other country in the world tries to block efficient flow of two wheel traffic.  Guess I'm spoiled in California.  

I think I'd just lane split at mellow speed, and if you see a cop pretend not to, and just keep going.  All two wheeled traffic needs to ignore stupid laws like that.  The rest of the world would think such laws idiotic.  Again, not trying to get anyone angry over anything.  

But bikes waiting behind cars is just never right...

Offline Pete

• Post Master
  • a.k.a 'Geri'
    • Pete's turbo build
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2005, 05:33:11 AM »
Nice write-up Jinkster, it can be done a bit easier though.

If you drill the hole in the ram-air tube at 10mm or 3/8" you can fit a fat washer onto the AITS and screw it directly into the ram-air tube, it will make it's own thread in the soft plastic and it will not come out without un-screwing. Mine has been like this now for 2 years.

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2005, 09:00:37 AM »
THIS POST SUCKS
IT WONT KEEP IT FROM OVERHEATING :roll:
JUST INSULATE IT WHERE IT IS AND GET SAME RESULTS(DID IT IN MAY 99) :roll:
AND DOUBLE CHECKET READINGS WITH A METER :wink:

Offline coop

• Post Master
    • My Website
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2005, 11:24:24 AM »
Quote from: THEMOTORHEAD
THIS POST SUCKS
IT WONT KEEP IT FROM OVERHEATING :roll:
JUST INSULATE IT WHERE IT IS AND GET SAME RESULTS(DID IT IN MAY 99) :roll:
AND DOUBLE CHECKET READINGS WITH A METER :wink:

:lmao:  :lol:

Offline JINKSTER

• Rider
Oh well...
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2005, 12:28:13 PM »
I hang my head in shame...I guess I've been told....that'll teach me to post anymore of this foolishness...I'll just lurk now like a good newbie should.

L8R, Bill. 8)
"My Busa..It Looks Like a 200mph Bulldozer Caught In a Time Warp....It Rides Like a Two Wheeled Locomotive With Clip-Ons."

Offline JINKSTER

• Rider
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2005, 04:52:22 PM »
Okay...I lied and here's "My Post Mod Ride Report" for those who are interested...

Well folks...I just got back from my first test ride after installing Ivans "Smart TRE" and performimg a Mod involving the Relocation of the IAT Sensor....and evidently both issues have been/are/were highly debatable both ways but here's how things worked out for me.

I guess to avoid any further confusion at this point I should also go ahead and explain that...

a. I'm not in search of ultimate top-end-rwhp numbers and...

b. While I do toy around in the outlaw drags in deland during daytona's bike week and biketoberfest???...I'm no drag racer either....I'm a hyper sport tourer who loves his curves and sheer power...on a bike big enough and comfortable enough to leave the house on friday afternoon and not get back till sunday evening kinda rider.

And now that THAT'S outta the way???....

c. I already knew that my new busa would be retaining it's stock exhaust for quite some while and I myself (a married father of three growing daughters) didn't want to hafta blow another $1,500-$2,500 on a Full Exhast & PCIII/USB just to get my New Busa's throttle response and bone stock engine running the way I like cause for me???...100FTLBS/160RWHP Stock is more than plenty for the street but things just needed to be "Sweetened Up" a tad...as follows.

My first ride experience basically taught me that while my new Busa was far far more light and nimble on it's feet than I had ever expected or dreamed???...but....It's throttle was also a tad choppy and surging while in the lower gears at lower revs.

I found that depending who's post I read or who I talked too that there seemed to be a lot of mixed thoughts and emotions on the boards regarding "TRE's" so....I made a call to an old and close friend of mine...the inventor of TRE's....Ivan...and he took the time to explain to me the differences and advantages of theTRE5 aka Ivans "Smart TRE"....and he also made a certain suggestion regarding relocating a certain sensor...and I bet some of you can guess which one. LOL!!! So I did...and here's my first test ride results of plugging in my new "Smart TRE" and Relocating The IAT Sensor...So here's the things I noticed...

1. Once warmed up???...The Idle lope seemed a tad smoother with a noticably richer smell to the exhaust.

2. In the lower revs, In the lower gears???....I didn't hafta "Concentrate and/or Feel For" wether or not Ivans "Smart TRE" was doing it's job or not as it was an "In Your Face" kind of difference and that difference felt much like the many other bikes I've owned in the past where popping in an advancer plate with 3-4 degrees of advance made all the difference in the world of how the bike performed in the lower rev ranges...with an adequate amount of fuel to go along with the air and far more effective ignition timing...and together???...the Smart TRE was like getting a jet kit and timing advancer all in one...and throttle response was still instantaneous but far more controllable in the way it rolled on coming out of a corner exit...with all the grunt and pull it should have...sweet.

3. "Deceleration": I just hafta mention this as the first stoplight I came downshifting up too???...I immediately felt a smile creep upon my face knowing things where much sweeter as soon as I heard that nice "Rythmic Growl" (indicative of a well tuned engine) and not that stumbly "Snap/Crackle/Pop" of your typical fuel starved bone stocker....again...sweet.

and finally???

4. "Engine Temps": During the 150 miles or so of riding I diod before these two simpl and comparitively inexpensive mods???..my temp gauges needle could be found hoovering a solid tick above the 1/2 way hash mark...after the mods???...wether I was tooling around town in traffice form stoplight-stoplight or cruisng at a steady 80-100mph out on the interstate???....the temp needle stayed a solid 2-3 needle widths BELOW the 1/2 way hash mark...and both occassions were in high 80's/high humidity weather...same weather yet very different temp gauge readings...sweeter yet.

So there ya have it and L8R, Bill. 8)
"My Busa..It Looks Like a 200mph Bulldozer Caught In a Time Warp....It Rides Like a Two Wheeled Locomotive With Clip-Ons."

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2005, 05:28:47 PM »
:roll: I have never seena stock Busa or a piped Buse run the temp needle past the halfway mark...

Guess I have been lucky!

J
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline Johnnnycheese

• Post Master
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2005, 06:23:02 AM »
can we say cold front :roll:
or the crack hasn't kicked in yet
Official Site Tuner
Builder and tuner of some of the FASTEST motorcycle in the world
www.johnnycheese.com

Offline coop

• Post Master
    • My Website
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2005, 09:05:40 AM »
Quote from: SPEED KING
:roll: I have never seena stock Busa or a piped Buse run the temp needle past the halfway mark...

Guess I have been lucky!

J

:yes:
Mine always runs about 2-3 needle widths BELOW the halfway mark. Never come close to overheating ever. :roll:

Offline JINKSTER

• Rider
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2005, 12:15:39 PM »
I have no clue where you guys live or what sort of weather/temps are involved but your comments are meaningless as..what I posted are my personal "Before & After" results and observations...with the same bike...same almost 90 degree temps...same high humidity weather conditions....ending with very different and positive results....and that gentlemen is what is known as factual proof...not speculation....or cheap shots at stand up comedy....or the belittling of other posters...just a factual reporting of  before and after results.

For those of you who are not "Bolt a Turbo On Speed Kings" or spamming wrenchs with secret sauce PC maps and are looking for an inexpensive way to make your Busa engines run sweeter and far happier without dropping a grand or two on Aftermarket Full Exhaust and a Sour Commander???...I'd like you to know that I highly recommend Ivans Smart TRE and relocating your IAT Sensor as personally speaking???...I'm very pleased with the results on what is basically and otherwise...my bone stock busa.

Happy Easter & L8R, Bill. 8)

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
  • Plate Reads: MY 420
    • My Website
Re: A Mod To Help Keep Your Busa From "Over-Heating"
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »
I just picked up my 'busa saturday and was crusing in stop/go traffic yesterday here in Louisiana.  It was 75 or so outside and my engine started to overheat.  Like temp was got way high and the "get your ass on the interstate to cool me down" light came on.  I did as I was told and all was good.  I've heard the fan kick on before, but I didn't hear it this time.   Do these fans typically just go out?  Possible to just get a new motor for it?  I'm flushing the raditator tonight so hopefully it's low and that's my problem.  I'm in the hawk today and it's killing me knowing I have a new (to me) bike!

2009 Charcoal/Silver Hayabusa
Lowered, 6+, Widened Stock Wheel, All LEDs, Everything Blacked Out

Offline coop

• Post Master
    • My Website
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2006, 01:01:34 PM »
Man this post is a year old. :(
It sucked back then also. :lol:

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2006, 02:27:16 PM »
Holy thread resurrection.  :o

If your bike is heating up (overheating?) in 75° F temps., you have problems with your cooling system.

I've had my bike in 117° F ambient temp. stop and go traffic. Even with the stock fan it didn't overheat. The fan was running constantly, but it held the temp. at just above the halfway mark.

50/50 distilled water and antifreeze mix, with Redline Water Wetter added.

Offline SUTPHEN77

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2006, 02:42:39 PM »
You meen I read 5 pages just to find out this thread was a year old.

Infinetreality and JINKSTER must be the same buttmunch

I leave in South florida drove many miles of beaches/traffic and the hottest it got was a couple needles over half way.

Offline JINKSTER

• Rider
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2006, 04:18:25 PM »
You meen I read 5 pages just to find out this thread was a year old.

Infinetreality and JINKSTER must be the same buttmunch

I leave in South florida drove many miles of beaches/traffic and the hottest it got was a couple needles over half way.

where abouts in florida do you live?...cause according to you?...if ya wantcher but munched I guess I'm the man to see.  :lol:

Offline JINKSTER

• Rider
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2006, 04:25:27 PM »
look folks...I go by no other board name so please...I am the real Jinkster and I am standing up....and yeah...I posted this thread about a year ago when I first bought my slightly used, mint condition '03 w/ a mere 1,600 on the odo...and this mod was suggested to me....and to me?...at the time?... it made perfect sense to get the ait sensor out of the high heat area...which I did...and then just posted the "How I did It" stuff here for the benefit of others who may be so inclined...that's all....and..

L8R, Bill.  8)

Offline WarpSpeed

• Rider
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »

If your bike is heating up (overheating?) in 75° F temps., you have problems with your cooling system.

I've had my bike in 117° F ambient temp. stop and go traffic. Even with the stock fan it didn't overheat. The fan was running constantly, but it held the temp. at just above the halfway mark.

I've seen 3 new Busa's do this right off the showroom floor.   All were fixed by a thorough fill and burping of the cooling system.    Seems Suzuki (or the dealer?) doesn't quite have it down pat yet... 
When in doubt, gas it.   It may not solve the problem but it will end the suspense.

Offline InfiniteReality

• Rider
  • Plate Reads: MY 420
    • My Website
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2006, 09:06:50 PM »

I've seen 3 new Busa's do this right off the showroom floor.   All were fixed by a thorough fill and burping of the cooling system.    Seems Suzuki (or the dealer?) doesn't quite have it down pat yet... 

Awesome, sounds like no biggie really!  Makes me happy!  I worked late today, so no progress (though I have rode interstate since there's no stop/go :)) on fixing it.  Sounds easy and either tomorrow or DEFINITELY friday I'll pull the fairings off and flush it and burp it.  Does any other place other than PepBoys carry water wetter?  I use it in my Firehawk as well and it does keep it a few degrees down than without it and that's using the crappy stock gauge.  This weekend will be time to ride.......and start the mods!!!!!!

2009 Charcoal/Silver Hayabusa
Lowered, 6+, Widened Stock Wheel, All LEDs, Everything Blacked Out

Offline man00

• Rider
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2006, 03:50:16 AM »

Bike I had before the Hayabusa would hit 240f-250f even in 75° F temps..after a while you learn not to pay any attention to it..if it ain't puking over, pinging, back firing, or loss of power...no matter what the neddle says "its not overheating"

Offline learjett

• Rider
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2006, 06:09:42 AM »
 :)  Thanks Jinkster... nice post.  There's always different ways of lookin' at things but the bottom line is that no too machines are exactly alike, exactly all the time.  Thanks again!   8)
Bob