Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: The Frankenbusa Saga. Holy crap I'm still here!  (Read 48876 times)

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
Re: Frankenbusa Saga. The shit has hit the fan
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2006, 12:36:06 AM »
I've heard of those. It's basically a canister that's half full of oil and half full of air at about 80-90 PSI. It has a valve on one side and a gauge on the other. Just before you start the motor you open the valve and the air pressure forces the oil into the engine. Once the engine comes to temp, the oil pressure refills the cannister, compressing the air in the can at the same time. Once the gauge shows 80-90, you close the valve and it's ready for next time.

I think that would work on a bike but the volume of oil would be lesser and the pressure would be greater. I have a 10oz. nitrous bottle sitting around not doing anything...I wonder if that would work.

Just what I need...more projects  :D
Dave Tameling

1984 Yamaha XJ750 'Old School'
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa 'Frankenbusa'
2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2006, 01:04:45 AM »
Just what I need...more projects :D

oops  :D, but uhh, you arent gonna use nitrous in that bottle to pressurize...right?  might get a little molasses for oil  :wink:

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2006, 01:38:55 AM »
It's just a throwback from when I wanted to keep things simple and do a dry shot of nitrous.

Maybe once it's up and running I'll experiment. God knows I don't have the time now. I could use the fitting for the cam chain tensioner. I'm defying all suggestions and putting on a manual tensioner because I don't have the time or inclination to modify the OEM tensioner to match my spacer plate.

Best I can tell, this would force oil into the main gallery. A good place I figure however it might push oil into the filter in the opposite direction than intended...I have no idea what that might result in.

Addendum: I did some internet searching and found http://autoenginelube.com/pages/903473/index.htm. It's pretty much exactly how I'd think to build it only it's using an electric solonoid valve and I'd use the smaller 10oz. tank. You'd almost have to know how much oil the engine holds (in the galleries and bearings, etc) and how much you can semi-safely overfill the engine with oil just in case the device fails and that extra oil ends up in the engine all the time...withhout the oil cooler, it can't be much.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 11:11:37 AM by dtechnologies »
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
Re: Frankenbusa Saga. Motion Pro to the rescue.
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2006, 11:15:04 AM »
I just got a call from Motion Pro. They finally got my cables. Unfortunately their time quote has been extended and the cables won't be completed and shipped until aprox. May12th. That's not as big a deal now that my May 1st goal is completely unattainable anyhow.

$30 each. Amazingly cheap.
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
Re: (The Never Ending) Frankenbusa Saga.
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2006, 11:43:21 AM »
I was just on the Moroso web site and I learned something interesting. These pre-oiler devices are also known as oil accumulators. They're used in sprint racing to keep extra oil on presurized tap in case the oil pickup runs dry due to hard cornering, etc.

I can't help but wonder if the same thing would help a bike from running dry if one 12 o'clocks a wheelie off the line at the track?

Very interesting...
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2006, 12:22:46 AM »
hey dt, so whats the scoop?  did you have to move the bike after all?  did that half gsxr rad. thing work out after all in dimensions to be used as a w/a intercooler?  cool man, good luck with whatever is coming to ya!

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2006, 01:41:42 AM »
Sorry for a lack of updates but working a 3pm to 9pm shift leaves me without much time to work. Next week it gets worse with a 3pm to midnight shift...but I'll have weekends off at least so work can continue.

My cables came yesterday from Motion Pro. Worth every penny. They're incredibly high quality for only costing $30 each...easily as good or better than the originals. As usual, UPS charged me $4 in tax and $35 in brokerage fees making $60 in cables over $100. As soon as I can get out there I'll install them. I hope my guess on length was right.

As far as the radiator I did some quick measuring and ended up getting a GSXR600 rad off of ebay for just over $100 after shipping. A bit more than I planned to pay but it's in good shape and comes with a fan that I might be able to use to set up a dual fan rig.

For right now she's staying put. I'm not sure for how much longer though. I had set myself a deadline of May 1st to get it done but that was before life started kicking me in the nuts every other day.

I'm on the cusp of quitting my job and becoming an apprentice welder...so my free time situation might change soon.
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
Rad has arrived.
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2006, 11:19:37 AM »
I picked up the radiator this morning. It's actually smaller out of the bike than I thought it was in one...nice and thin. I'll have to wait until it's up into the bike but if I didn't know better (do I ever?) I'd say it would fit right up there whole and take up less space than an air2air intercooler would in it's place.

It's going to need some modification regardless and I haven't decided if I should try to solder it myself or if I should take it to a professional this time....whoa! who said that!
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline Slyder

• Rider
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2006, 05:43:43 PM »
Dude are you married?
I wish I had all the time you have.
Actually I think I'm just jealous.
Nice ride. I can't wait to see it finished.
 :D

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2006, 01:17:28 AM »
The throttle cables are installed...I'm sure some of you were hoping for more progress than this but right now the bikes under a sheet as a garage sale goes on around it. Hopefully things will pick up soon. There's a chance that there will be a promotion waiting for me when I go back to work on Monday....that would accelerate things a bit...not to mention the extra $$$  :D

Here's some pictures of the cables. 2" longer seemed to be a good guess. I didn't have time to check 100% to make sure they don't pinch, pull, or bind but I don't think I could have guessed closer. The headlight bracket might need to be cut as you'll see in the pictures but other than that I think they're fantastic:

I really can't say enough great things about these Motion Pro cables. Their service was amazing, there was only an 8 day turn around time on making them from scratch (I can't hold long shipping times against them) and they only cost me $30 each plus shipping...truly one of the greatest buys for something new throughout this entire project. I might call on their services again if needed as I'll need to connect a solenoid to the 'fast idle' linkage on the throttle bodies. My custom ECU will be managing fast idle for me based on engine temperature.
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
Re: (The Never Ending) Frankenbusa Saga. New job = New hope
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2006, 05:05:33 PM »
There haven't been any real serious updates in a while. I want to let anybody following this thread know that the rough seas seem to be over for me as I've just been promoted at work. With a bit more cash to go around and a 4 day work week I should have whast I need to finish things up while there still summer left. If I'm lucky I'll be able to enter in the latter of the two CMDRA drag events here in Edmonton...though that might be thinking TOO far ahead.

Right now my bike is under a sheet while a garage sale happens around it. But next weekend work will commence again and as I have 99% of the parts I need. I believe that things should go rather smoothly....knock wood.
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
dtech, where you been?  we miss ya project  :D

hope things are going good

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2006, 09:53:25 PM »
Sorry folks but planning a wedding is more time consuming than I ever imagined. Also, my dad (who's garage I'm using) retired 2 weeks ago after being a mechanic for 28 years. The garage now has about 5 tool boxes and A LOT of his accumulated 'stuff'...not to mention my ever growing project 'stuff' (stuff=junk). I'm going to have to help him clean it up if I'm going to have room to get work done. Even though I'm getting married in 60 days, things are starting to get finalized and I should have some good solid evenings and weekends soon to hammer out a fudge just in time for winter.

In fact speaking of fudging it...at this point I'm ready to cut a few corners. All I really need to do to get it running is finish the intake air plumbing, headers, the intercooler plumbing and wire up the ECU. Then I can get the engine running and start tweaking the software. Lights, fenders, and all that street legal jazz can come later (possibly winter). I think I'm going to just clean and paint the intake and header parts and worry about leaks later...exhaust cement and jb weld will be my friends. And the street legal parts of the harness likely won't be done until very last. I'm trying to track down some carbon fiber on the cheap as in the end I want the front and rear fenders to be carbon. I'd like to buy a Catalyst carbon tank too if it's ever in the budget.

One other tiny update is that I purchased a Veypor VR2 speedo/computer(www.veypor.com). Insted of letting it collect dust, I put it on my XJ750. It's the most awesome piece of hardware. Plus, it can hold profiles for up to 4 bikes so I can use it on both bikes and all I'll have to do is buy another harness for $40.

I really want to try out the wireless helmet mounted HUD...it's right up my geeky alley. Unfortunately money is tight these days (weddings are also more expensive than I ever imagined). If anybody is interested in ordering one, hook me up with the referral discount and use my referral number of 3121. Once I find a way to weigh the XJ, I'll try out the 0-60, 1/4 mile, roll on, and dyno functions and post a review in another section...to put it simply just based on using it when riding to work and back...it's awesome!
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2006, 05:29:37 PM »
Good to see your still going forward, no matter the pace-
I know when I built mine last yr, it was the culmination of 4 yrs research.

Patience is not one of my strong points.

I have been really intrested in the Veypor Sys, since it's inception- still not in the budget though.
Especially since I am rebuilding mine ground up, and in the middle of moving  :x :?

GL on your project Dave-
Ron
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2006, 10:34:35 PM »
how are things man?  been a while since the org been down for a little bit.  missed seeing this one!!

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2006, 08:51:59 AM »
bump.
dtech,
you still out there?
hows it going?

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2006, 04:38:31 AM »
Hi folks.

I've been out of the garage for quite a while due to my wedding but despite what you may have heard, I AM alive. Now that all that wedding stuff is out of the way I can get back to the grind stone so to speak. It's a good time to get back into the project because it's started snowing ahead of schedule this year.

Due to circumstances beyond my control it looks like I've finally, for sure this time, lost my working space in my dads garage...unless of course I can finish the job in an 8'x10' corner. I've got a couple of offers for shop space but all our out of town and I don't have a car yet for winter. If I can find a winter beater I should be able to take up one of the offers and move my tools and bike.

In the mean time I've started carefully planning just what needs to be installed, what needs to be fabricated, and what I might still have to buy. The good news is that I have nearly everything I need. The bad news is there might be a few things I'm still going to need to fabricate and without knowing where I'm going to be doing the work, I may end up having to hire that work out...more money, blah!

I've also lost my cheap ass Mig welder...it was only borrowed from my uncle. He's bought a Willy's Jeep and needs it back so he can start restoring it. I haven't finished plugging all the holes in the exhaust, the dump, or the BOV elbow flange I built so I'm either going to have to take it to a welder or take my chances with high temperature exhaust cement...I'll likely just use JB Weld for the intake; I think it's good up to 500 degrees F.

So long story short: It's not going to be an easy re-start but at least I'm confident that I'll complete the job this winter one way or the other...Spring is at least 6 months away which is plenty of time.
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
Re: The Frankenbusa Saga. No, I'm not dead.
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2006, 11:40:15 AM »
Hey everybody. It's been a long time but I'm finally starting up the project again. Between work, getting married, and a pile of other things none of you care about, it's been way too long.

Right now my bike is packed into the back of the garage so deeply you can barely see it:

Though between my birthday and a very nice present from my parents as a bachelor present, my toolbox has never been nicer:

Since it's nearly impossible to get in there to do anything, especially since my dad bought 2 snowmobiles, I've turned to getting the Engine Management Computer built and tested as I can do this at home.

As you can see there are a lot of holes and not a lot of components. This is the beauty of this design. This board can do so many things it makes ECU's like a MOTEC look basic and over priced. Just by using different components, I can customize the board to suit any situation.

This is the board as it came from the UK. I was worried that the group of Open Source guys that develop the software and circuit boards for this project will have upgraded since I bought the kit over a year ago. I was on their website just last week and I went to the 'requests' section of the wiki to see what might be added or have been added. The message was clear. Nothing is planned because the board can already do everything.

The good news is that to do what I need, not all of those little holes need to be filled with components. When the board support 16+ cylinders and 20+ injectors, EGT sensors, and a pile of other features I'm not touching, the board will need surprisingly few components. Just some driver FETs for the 2 coils and for the 4 injectors, the MAP sensor (which is mounted right on the circuit board and supports up to 30 psi), and some miscelaneous components.

When done, the board will be set up as follows:
  • Drive 4 injectors. Semi-waste. Squirt 2 cylinders at once. Each Cylinder will get a squirt at TDC.
  • Drive 2 coils. Wastespark. Same as with squirt, TDC will get spark wether on power stroke or not.
  • System will re-use the OEM Throttle position sensor.
  • System will re-use engine temperature sensor.
  • System will re-use crank trigger and will not use the cam position sensor
  • System will re-use IAT sensor.
  • RPM triggered digital output will be configured to control air shifter to act like an MPS Autoshifter
  • Unlike the OEM electronics, fast idle will be automatic.
  • ECU will control cooling fan. I'll custom tweak the fan to run as often as needed.
  • ECU will control a nitrous solenoid or similar device as a fully mappable PWM boost controller
  • Idle speed will be controlled dynamically by advancing and retarding ignition
  • Input from Wide Band O2 sensor will allow ECU to re-configure it's own maps on the fly.
  • Input from WFO throttle switch to prevent full boost unless throttle is Wide Fucking Open.
  • Increased redline. I haven't decided how high to go but likely 12k or something like that.

I haven't decided if/how I'm going to use the ECUs capability to incorporate up to 2 EGT sensors and other inputs/outputs. Possibilities include monitoring fuel pressure to include fuel pressure drop failsafes, generic input switches to put ECU into a crippled rain mode like the new sport bikes have, adding a knock sensor (The ECU supports up to 2. Though tuning a knock sensor not designed for this engine is something I'm not sure I want to get into), and so much more!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 11:44:40 AM by dtechnologies »
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline Airbeast

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
    • Myspace
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »
Great Job so far man!

Your project was one of the inspirations for me to do mine. I hope you get it done soon now that you're so close.

By the way what ECU is that?

I'm using the megasquirt in mine which seems almost the same as yours but not. Has all the same features and opensource. How much was yours and where'd you get it from?

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2007, 07:38:19 PM »
Great Job so far man!

Your project was one of the inspirations for me to do mine. I hope you get it done soon now that you're so close.

By the way what ECU is that?

I'm using the megasquirt in mine which seems almost the same as yours but not. Has all the same features and opensource. How much was yours and where'd you get it from?

I believe it is the Megasquirt if I recall correctly  :wink:
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline Airbeast

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Where am I?
    • Myspace
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »
hm...his board looks completely different than mine.

Offline Busa Quick

• Post Master
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2007, 11:50:47 AM »

In earlier posts he said that electronics was his favorite thing to work on. He also mentioned the Mega Squirt but, talked about modifying it to his own specs.

Mark
Black and Purple 04, MY MODS: Turbo, .08 spacer, s2000 injectors, yosh cams 7.2 spring, heavy clutch springs, APE valve springs, raised rev limiter to 11,500 rpm with ignition cut only, using only stock ECM with Petrik reprogramming method,

Offline gsxturbo

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?wish i knew
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2007, 12:35:15 AM »
I think its a VEMS
http://www.vems-group.org/
Life is to short to worry about what everybody else thinks.

Offline gsxturbo

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?wish i knew
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2007, 12:38:03 AM »
Its like an offspring  of MS  i think, they use the same tuning software
Life is to short to worry about what everybody else thinks.

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2007, 07:13:17 PM »
I think its a VEMS
http://www.vems-group.org/

You're right it's the VEMS board. V3.

Sorry I've been away so long folks but getting back on the horse has been tricky since getting married.

I'm all ready to get things rolling this weekend again. The weather is nice here but there's still snow on the ground so I've got a bit of time left before I'm wasting summer.

I may have said this before but things are going to get quick and dirty here. Getting this pig running is top priority so we might not see any street legality right away. If it only sees the track this year, I'll be fine with that considering it's been such a long time coming.

I've had a lot of time away from the bike to think on how I'm doing things and have some good ideas...mostly related to the VEMS unit itself. It's just so damned flexible I'm trying to decide which features to include and which not to bother with. I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of the automatic fast idle, wide band O2 sensor, and all the conveniences like that but I haven't decided on things like traction control, anti-lag, automatic boost control, blah blah blah. I'm also working on linking the box to my computer via bluetooth.

I should have the box at least talking to the computer this weekend via the Megatunix software designed for the megasquirt.

I'll be sure to take some pictures in progress so you guys can see the guts as they're being assembled.

Thanks again for the support in the past...I likely wouldn't have made it this far without you.

Dave
Dave Tameling

2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J