Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: The Frankenbusa Saga. Holy crap I'm still here!  (Read 49120 times)

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
Re: The Frankenbusa Saga. No, I'm not dead.
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2007, 02:28:30 AM »
I've had a lot of time away from the bike to think on how I'm doing things and have some good ideas...mostly related to the VEMS unit itself. It's just so damned flexible I'm trying to decide which features to include and which not to bother with. I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of the automatic fast idle, wide band O2 sensor, and all the conveniences like that but I haven't decided on things like traction control, anti-lag, automatic boost control, blah blah blah. I'm also working on linking the box to my computer via bluetooth.

one thing that might be kinda cool is if you make a whellie based boost controller....  like have a switch that you can turn this function on, and when the bike lifts the forks so high, let the boost stop raising until the fork drops a tad.....  just a thought :thumb:

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
Re: The Frankenbusa Saga. Holy crap I'm still here!
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2007, 09:54:44 AM »
LOL. I've totally thought about that Reaper. Sorta like the wheelie controller you can buy from Schnitz.

If I were to do it, I wouldn't want to futz with switches and wires on the forks, I'd likely try to use some sort of tilt sensor like an accelerometer that can measure rotational forces or a proximity sensor that can tell when the ground is trying to get away ;)

The nice thing about the ECU is that I can add stuff like that later. Right now I just want to get it running and on a dyno.

Dave
Dave Tameling

1984 Yamaha XJ750 'Old School'
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa 'Frankenbusa'
2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J

Offline dtechnologies

• Rider
    • Ghettobike
Re: The Frankenbusa Saga. Holy crap I'm still here!
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2007, 07:49:31 AM »
I've been doing my homework at the website trying to play catchup so I can get the engine management computer put together and operational. I've learned that since I bought the unit, they've upgraded to a new version. Unfortunately I can't upgrade but I can get some pieces to enhance what I have. I'll have to wait for them to get here from the UK but it should really improve things without having to modify the board later.

The one part I'm looking forward to is their new 'Power Flyback' daughter board which enhances the onboard flyback circuitry. It's basically a daughter board whith 72 diodes on it that allow the flyback voltage to be increased (more voltage=shorter injector opening/closing time). This allows the pulse width of the injectors to be set as low as 600 microseconds. This essentially solves the low rpm tuning issues when large injectors are installed. They've run injectors as big as 1500cc/min on 550cc cylinders with great results.

One other part I've picked up is an immobilizer that's built right into the ECU using an 'iButton'. It's similar to the technology used in new cars with a transponder built into the key only in this case the transponder is a small metal button like a small watch battery. You press it into the socket and voila, the bike won't start without it. And it's all built into the ECU circuit board so there's no bypassing it.

The last thing I ordered was a serial bluetooth module from sparkfun.com I'm going to connect it directly to the serial connections on the ECU motherboard and run the antenna external to the case. It's a Class 1 Bluetooth 2.0 device so as long as there isn't any interference, I should be able to program, monitor, and datalog anything from up to 330 feet away.

I had planned on digging the bike out and getting back into it this weekend but unfortunately I had some car issues I had to deal with so no updates there I'm afraid.
Dave Tameling

1984 Yamaha XJ750 'Old School'
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa 'Frankenbusa'
2001 Yamaha FZ1 - R.I.P.

'Holy shit man...'
     - J