Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Gearing/dragracing  (Read 9254 times)

Offline BLUR AKA SIDEWAYS AKA KING OF SOUTH FLORIDA

• Universal Post Whore
Gearing/dragracing
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:54:28 PM »
What gearing are people using and what 60ft-330 times?
What RPM are you guys launching at?

Offline Rokitman1300

• Rider
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 08:16:26 AM »
On my 02 1K 5g and i down on the front sprocket

Offline gixxer2k1000

• Rider
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 10:29:44 AM »
What is your set-up as far as the bike goes and what is your weight  suited up ? all this makes a big factor in the 1ks because they have no torque and can become very hard to launch.

• Universal Post Whore
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 12:13:21 PM »
Quote from: gixxer2k1000
What is your set-up as far as the bike goes and what is your weight  suited up ? all this makes a big factor in the 1ks because they have no torque and can become very hard to launch.

03 1000 4 over arm 163hp torque ? 185 suited.
Gearing is 16-44
I currently have a lock-up in there but I may go back to the stock set up. I am going to try out a few more combinations first.
I know that most of my problems right now are ME :P
I just want to see what is working for other people to see if I am fighting a losing battle with launching the bike the way I have it set up now.
I either bog out of the hole or wheelie and I cant seem to find the sweet spot. I have tried launching throughout the rpm range and have found 7500 to work best for me but I see people launcing at 3500 and getting better sixtys with 16-42 gearing on a stock clutch set-up. I am still new at this so I am probably not very consistent in how I am throwing the clutch.
I guess I will just keep practicing :lol:

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 06:08:45 PM »
Quote from: Blur

Gearing is 16-44
I currently have a lock-up in there but I may go back to the stock set up. I am going to try out a few more combinations first.
I just want to see what is working for other people to see if I am fighting a losing battle with launching the bike the way I have it set up now.
I either bog out of the hole or wheelie and I cant seem to find the sweet spot. I have tried launching throughout the rpm range and have found 7500 to work best for me but I see people launcing at 3500 and getting better sixtys with 16-42 gearing on a stock clutch set-up. I am still new at this so I am probably not very consistent in how I am throwing the clutch.

well with a lock-up in it can't you just throw the lever away??? or are you having problems setting it up and thats why you may scrap it??
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

• Universal Post Whore
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 07:03:28 PM »
Quote from: Busa for hire
Quote from: Blur

Gearing is 16-44

well with a lock-up in it can't you just throw the lever away??? or are you having problems setting it up and thats why you may scrap it??

It is a two stage, not a multi-stage. It may be possible with the two stage to just throw the lever but I sure cant figure it out and other people I know with two stage lock-up have still had to play the clutch some. As of now there is nothing smooth about my launches....its like rolling the dice as to what is going to happen. I am going to play around with it some more and see what I can do. I just wanted to get an idea of what people are using for gearing. I am close with the clutch and I think if I go back to a 42 rear it may calm it down just enough.

Offline gixxer2k1000

• Rider
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 08:02:50 PM »
16-44 is that 1 down 2 up on that? If so that should be good with your lock up I personallydont have one but have been told if i was to get one not to run any weight on the fingers at all and it works good that way.Also if you do not have anyt power adders you really dont need the lock up.I have an 01 with the usual upgrades along with a 60 shot of NOS on a wet system and havent had any slippage from the clutch.when i was actually running good i was launching around 6-7 grand or so and slipping the sh$t out of the clutch and was getting 1.5 60fts.since I have done so many changes all at once i really never got everything figured out last year and couldnt get any better then a 1.65.

• Universal Post Whore
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 09:13:10 PM »
I went with the lock-up to try and improve my sixtys and extend the clutch life a little. The clutches are lasting longer but the sixtys arent doing to good. I have nos also but didnt mention that because I dont spray out of the hole. I noticed that after a little clutch wear it would slip some on the nos. I took all the weights off and the bike lauched good for about 3 passes. Just diidnt seem to pull quite as hard as it should at about 45-50 ft mark. Next pass I made it to about the 330 mark and the clutch fried :(  I stopped to make sure nothing was leaking and figured out it was the clutch. I had to push it to the return road....boy I am outta shape  :lol:  I am going to the track wed. with another set-up and  I will see what happens. Like I said earlier I think alot of it is me. I need to practice and try some new things to see what is working for me.
Thanks!

Offline gixxer2k1000

• Rider
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 09:16:26 PM »
when you are doing your clutch adjustments are you adjusting the set screw that is on the left side of the bike near the water pump? If not you might want to try and adjust that every few passes as well it will definitly extend your clutch life.

• Universal Post Whore
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 09:24:48 PM »
when you are doing your clutch adjustments are you adjusting the set screw that is on the left side of the bike near the water pump? If not you might want to try and adjust that every few passes as well it will definitly extend your clutch life.

No. What should I try? Stock is all the way in and a quarter turn out???? THen what?

Offline gixxer2k1000

• Rider
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 12:09:39 AM »
That is it right there,I was just wondering cause there are alot of guys out there that didnt even know about that adjustment :thumb:

• Universal Post Whore
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »
That is it right there,I was just wondering cause there are alot of guys out there that didnt even know about that adjustment :thumb:

Explain please....As the clutch wears what should I do?
See above post.

Offline gixxer2k1000

• Rider
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 12:26:43 AM »
Every couple of passes that I make I usually just check the adjustment just like you stated.loosen up the lock bolt then turn the set screw out till it is loose then turn it back in till it starts to tighten up then back it back out a 1/4 of a turn and then just tighten up the lock bolt.

Offline Blue Streak

• Post Master
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 01:44:26 AM »
One of my friends has an 04 1000 its at 63", has a BDE clutch cushion, and a micron slip-on, and lowered, other than that it stock. His best pass was 1.43 60' 5.97 @ 121 in the 1/8. We don't have a 330' timer at our local track so I have no clue what the 330' was and he hasn't ran it in the 1/4 yet.  :D
02 Silver/Grey  Turbo Busa * T61 NLR kit*
04 Black SWB Turbo Busa * DBB stage 2*

• Universal Post Whore
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 06:37:14 AM »
Every couple of passes that I make I usually just check the adjustment just like you stated.loosen up the lock bolt then turn the set screw out till it is loose then turn it back in till it starts to tighten up then back it back out a 1/4 of a turn and then just tighten up the lock bolt.

Thanks..I will do it more often!

Offline chunter

• Rider
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 08:01:46 AM »
service manual states to turn out the adjuster screw 1/2 turn
2005 1000SS record 157.82 1/4 mile mph
2005 1000SS record 126.23 1/8 mile mph
2005 1000SS record 9.104 1/4 et
2003 AMA/Prostar 600SS Champion
THE hook up for TSUKIGI Exhaust

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 09:57:26 AM »
Their was a service manual update or something that says it works better to turn it out 1/4 turn.

Offline chunter

• Rider
Gearing/dragracing
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 10:52:09 AM »
ok, trying to find that service bulletin
2005 1000SS record 157.82 1/4 mile mph
2005 1000SS record 126.23 1/8 mile mph
2005 1000SS record 9.104 1/4 et
2003 AMA/Prostar 600SS Champion
THE hook up for TSUKIGI Exhaust