Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: The Real Translation of the Busa Kanji  (Read 37592 times)

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
The Real Translation of the Busa Kanji
« on: April 15, 2005, 04:53:47 PM »
I know there have been some others who have had a chance to ask someone who knows how to read the Busa Kanji symbol what the exact translation is.  Well, I had an opportunity to do that too.  Was having lunch with 3 Japanese guys who are here on a business trip.  I brought up the Hayabusa to see if they knew what I was talking about.  After lunch I printed out the Kanji symbol and asked them what the exact meaning was.

He said the symbol was a Chinese Kanji, and the word "Hayabusa" was the pronunciation of the symbol and that it meant "falcon" in general, but could specifically mean "peregrine falcon".  Then he gets out a piece of paper and draws the Chinese symbol for falcon in it's basic form, and also gets on his computer to verify ... and this is what the "raw" symbol looks like.

Now here's the way the symbol is used on the Busa.

You can see the similarities ... the Busa Kanji is all "fancy" looking of course.

From other translations posted on the board, I've heard it means "fast" or "powerful", etc ... but from what this guy is saying it's a direct translation to falcon or peregrine falcon.  Makes the best sense to me. 8)
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

Ahab

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:01:10 PM »
So its a Japanese bike, painted with Chinese symbols and then sold in the USA :lol:  Gotta love a global community

Offline HayaBusa Knight

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »
Quote from: Ahab
So its a Japanese bike, painted with Chinese symbols and then sold in the USA :lol:  Gotta love a global community

Amen!!!

:roll:

Offline omgang

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 05:13:10 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Finally a definition with factual data to back it up.

For your next assignment:  what upgrades are planned for the '06 'busa?

OM Gang

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 07:47:54 PM »
Quote from: Jynx
Hrm...I thought it transated to "My rider has a huge weiner" in Japanese...  :?

Shit...I'm going to have to get another bike then.   :x

All this time you thought the girls that where pointing and laughing where a good thing  :lmao:
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline thunder

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:26:05 PM »
Hrm...I thought it transated to "My rider has a huge weiner" in Japanese...  :?

Shit...I'm going to have to get another bike then.   :x
:lmao:
If I wanted a FUCKING KAWASAKI I would have bought a FUCKING KAWASAKI

KAWASAKI FREE FOR 38 YEARS

Offline smoke215

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 09:56:28 PM »
yup...I've always heard it meant peregrine falcon.....the fastest bird on the planet 8)
04 black/purple
boosted
pc3
lowered alot
tre......sometimes
42t rear sprocket
custom map
raptor shift lite
mps tether kill
underbraced, extended 600 arm

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 01:31:09 AM »
Is there a tank mod for this?  Surely I can't be the only one...but anything is possible I guess.   :lol:

A BFH to the back of the gas tank works pretty well! ... I’ve done that mod on all my bike.  :P

Only drawback is I lose about a half gallon of fuel capacity.  :(

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 01:38:58 AM »
So...what the fuck does BFH mean to me, at this time.

BIG FUCKING HAMMER!!

:lmao:

Offline SUTPHEN77

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 07:29:50 AM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline rdt

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 06:29:52 PM »
How fast is the falcon????????

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 09:37:39 PM »
means
"this bikes faster than yours" :D

Offline maui

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 02:19:59 PM »
truth is it has several translations and depends on the context.  I had a Japanese tourist look at my bike once and he said it means extremely fast...not falcon. In that regard he looked at the bike and thought "extremely fast" Maybe seeing the Kanji buy its self it would say falcon. There is not one definition...

If you hear the word "right" in English, can you give one translation or definition?

does it mean the opposite of left? Or correct? What if you hear right, but write is meant?

i.e. please tell Mr Wright to write me a letter right away and put it on the right side of my desk and to do it right this time as it has to do with your right to free speech.

Offline HOG SLYR

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 03:30:05 PM »
Rumor also has it that  one of the main things in the Falcon's diet is the Blackbird which is one of the reasons they picked the name Hayabusa  :lol:

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 12:32:13 AM »
Quote from: maui
Maybe seeing the Kanji buy its self it would say falcon. There is not one definition...

Well, the Japanese guy I showed just the Kanji symbol (not the bike) to made it sound like that particular symbol meant "falcon" or specifically "peregrine falcon".  He even got on his computer while I watched and pulled up the "raw" symbol I showed above, and showed me the English translation, which only came up with the words "falcon" and "peregrine falcon".  It's a Chinese symbol ... not Japanese.  Take it as you wish ...

Offline maui

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 12:45:02 PM »
Quote from: Busa@11K
Quote from: maui
Maybe seeing the Kanji buy its self it would say falcon. There is not one definition...

Well, the Japanese guy I showed just the Kanji symbol (not the bike) to made it sound like that particular symbol meant "falcon" or specifically "peregrine falcon".  He even got on his computer while I watched and pulled up the "raw" symbol I showed above, and showed me the English translation, which only came up with the words "falcon" and "peregrine falcon".  It's a Chinese symbol ... not Japanese.  Take it as you wish ...

There is more then one definition. I don't know how to make that any more clear to you. Also the other definitions are not only  correct in application, but are some what entertaining. Yes the bike was named after the Falcon. That was Suzuki's intent. I don't think any one will argue that.

Kanji is very difficult for even the Japanese to read. When I go to Japan I have a Jacket I wear for events that has my name written in Kanji. Very few Japanese nationals can read it with out me telling them what it says. After I tell them they memorize it so they don't have to ask me again. Other wise they have another "nick name" they call me. When my name is written in katakana they have no trouble.

The Kanji symbol on the Hayabusa has a few different meaning. "extremely fast" is one of them. "extremely powerful" is another. These were use's added on from how the Japanese saw the Hayabusa (falcon). It was a living creature with almost mythical power in speed and flight vector. Many times things like this are a source of national pride. In both cases the word "extremely" is emphasized. These definitions basically carry a superlative embedded with them. They are "extreme" in nature just like the bike is.

All the definitions are correct, and they all apply to the bike. As far as the "fancy" style of writing you see on the bike thats just advanced calligraphy. I have some pieces in my home that show the same level of study. The style would be to the individual though much like your hand writing is your own. The block letter you first showed would be considered Kaisho style, the symbol on the bike would be Sosho. Their is one style inbetween called Gyosho.

Offline maui

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 01:11:02 PM »
Quote from: Quasar
I thought the Kanji sticker meant "unlikely to receive an upgrade"! :lol:

in some twisted way you could say that applies too. The word extremely was not translated well. As Japanese words go they don't always have a clear cross over. "very much extremely fast" was the broken translation I got. Possibly of a nature that there was nothing in the same range....un able to improve.

of course we have guys like Dennis, Hank, NLR, etc who, not being Japanese, are basically too dumb to respect that definition....

Offline Bigdogg

• Pat McCrotch
  • Rider
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 02:26:59 PM »
Quote from: HOG SLYR
Rumor also has it that  one of the main things in the Falcon's diet is the Blackbird which is one of the reasons they picked the name Hayabusa  :lol:

True, (Peregrine Falcon) this is what I heard also.  This was partially in response to the Honda 1100XX  Blackbird.

Offline Samurai-Jim

• Legacy Rider
  • Rider
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 07:01:12 PM »
In a dive, it can reach over 200MPH.

I saw a show where they were saying the bird can actually alter its shape to aid in aerodynamics. They were jumping out of a plane and letting the bird go to try to clock its speed. It would get into its best aerodynamic position and just leave the guy that jumped out of the plane with it.
Jim OBrien
Wallingford Ct.

Offline Hardware

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 07:29:54 PM »
I've explained this before...http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42833&highlight=kanji

There are three separate "alphabets" used in Japanese language.

Kanji - pictographs derived from Chinese characters (one symbol represents a word); Katakana - symbols that represent syllables; and Hirigana - phonetic symbols used to spell foreign words & sounds (i.e. a foreigner's name).

The Hayabusa Kanji as we see it on the bike is translated as peregrine falcon in the Japanese/English dictionary my receptionist uses at work.

Japanese is complicated. For a year and half I've been using the Japanese word tenkan for "turn" in Aikido. It's defined this way in three different Aikido texts I have. Then yesterday, someone decided it means "change". I asked does it mean turn, they answered yes, but it means change...more.
2004, Blue & Black (Traded).

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005, 07:54:51 PM »
Well, no matter which translation is used, they all seem to describe my dick!  :P ... maybe I need it Kanji tattooed. :lol:

Offline maui

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2005, 09:58:27 PM »
Quote from: Hardware
I've explained this before...http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42833&highlight=kanji

There are three separate "alphabets" used in Japanese language.

Kanji - pictographs derived from Chinese characters (one symbol represents a word); Katakana - symbols that represent syllables; and Hirigana - phonetic symbols used to spell foreign words & sounds (i.e. a foreigner's name).

The Hayabusa Kanji as we see it on the bike is translated as peregrine falcon in the Japanese/English dictionary my receptionist uses at work.

Japanese is complicated. For a year and half I've been using the Japanese word tenkan for "turn" in Aikido. It's defined this way in three different Aikido texts I have. Then yesterday, someone decided it means "change". I asked does it mean turn, they answered yes, but it means change...more.

tenkan can also mean to go behind, or to go to the out side.

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2005, 10:41:15 PM »
Well, no matter which translation is used, they all seem to describe my dick!  :P ... maybe I need it Kanji tattooed. :lol:

I seriously doubt any woman is going to be impressed to know the tattoo on your schlong means "extremely fast".    :lmao:

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 12:41:37 AM »
Quote from: 02SE

I seriously doubt any woman is going to be impressed to know the tattoo on your schlong means "extremely fast".    :lmao:

You ever hear the question ... "Do you smoke after sex?".  Well, if you answered "yes" then you better slow it down.  :P