Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: alky/nitrous  (Read 2782 times)

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
alky/nitrous
« on: April 30, 2005, 06:39:45 AM »
G'day im after any links to information on using only alky /nitrous , I have several but there is not much out there on this , also anyone here used that combination  ? results ?
Gary
the more I learn the less I know

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
alky/nitrous
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 04:49:49 PM »
Gary,
Haven't you had my email yet, or don't you trust the extent of my knowledge????  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Regards

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
alky/nitrous
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 05:47:54 PM »
Hawk,

The only thing I have run alky in is a two stroke so I don't know shit about it.

A n/a engine only moves so much air at any rpm.
When you add N2O you replace some of the air with N2O molecules.
This is a good deal because air only contains 20% oxygen while nitrous contains 38% oxygen.
If you ran an engine on 100% nitrous with no air you would be feeding it 38% oxygen.
You would need to boost your fuel flow by a factor of 1.82= (38/20) to keep your f/a ratio correct.
The engine should produce 82% more horsepower than an air breather.
Actually, you would get a bit more because N2O gives off a bit of energy when it decomposes to nitrogen and oxygen at combustion temperatures.
At most, N2O offers the possibility of doubling an engines n/a horsepower because of chemistry.
I suppose you could use pure N2O and pressure up the intake to whatever pressure you dare to get unlimited power...but you always run into the same obstacle....the melting point of aluminum :roll:
I just don't see any reason to carry oxidizer on board and deal with the problems of vaporizing and metering it when they make this device called a turbocharger.
Alcohol (methanol or anhydrous ethanol) is a wonderful fuel when you want to make lots of reliable power.
It is relatively cheap and consistent from batch to batch.
High octane and cool burning because of the oxygen content.
You need good, reliable power so you can concentrate on the hard stuff.. :idea:
The alcohol burning Cosworth V-8's that they used to run at Indy were reliable as a stone.

Build a moderate compression alcohol turbomotor and concentrate on the aerodynamics.
You are fundamentally traction limited....make it slippery.

When messing with alochol..REMEMBER....you can't see the flames....this can lead to some real embarassment :!:  :!:  :!:

Offline hawkwind

• Rider
alky/nitrous
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:14:39 AM »
Quote from: Noswizard
Gary,
Haven't you had my email yet, or don't you trust the extent of my knowledge????  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Regards

Hey Trev this was posted 30/4/05  I recieved you email  1.5.05  :wink:
did'nt your pappy tell you never put all your eggs in one basket  :lol:

Gary
the more I learn the less I know

Offline Noswizard

• Rider
  • BANNED
alky/nitrous
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 05:33:56 AM »
Gary,

2 very good points!!!    :oops:

Eagerly awaiting your response to my email.

Regards