Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?  (Read 5006 times)

Offline 04redbird

• Rider
HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?
« on: May 17, 2005, 10:16:34 AM »
hello everyone ,im new to the site,just got a new 04 LE,sat on show room for a while,got a real good deal on it,my ? is,the HMF big bird ex is it to big for a stock busa? im going to put the power comander on it and
possible the airbox mod,how much bottom end torque would i be loosing,im also looking at the dual high mounts,im realy concerned about the driveability of the thing.u know hicups,surging and what ever else can happen,thanks for any info,and this is a great site!!

Offline X-boy

• Rider
HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 08:53:36 PM »
HMF Big bird is good..........
But if I were you, I would go with Brock's hindle pipe.
"Angela Family"
Xtreme Racing ARUBA

Offline SLOWBUSA

• Post Whore
HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 01:11:09 AM »
Got a '00 stock Busa. Just installed a BIgbird with PC111usb and Dynojet's Ti force map. It runs great. Every bit as smooth as stock. No surging or anything. :wink: When installing the pipe take your time, and make sure you have it tucked as tight as possble for clearance. Some have had problems with melting palstic, but several pipes have this problem especially if you do not take your time getting the best fit possible. Get the up pipe polished and use some Mother's Biilet polish on the muffler caps( carbon can). Looks and sounds great. :twisted: If you do a small box mod(I haven't) get a custom map as the airbox mod might cause some hesitation problems around 3500rpm :?:

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 07:44:08 AM »
Make sure you leave every bolt very loose until EVERYTHING is in place and fitted right.  Start with the head bolts and work your way back.  Put your plastics back on and see where you need to add the foil insulation tape, because it will melt the shit out of the plastics!  Adding the foil tape may cause you to have to elongate the front mounting holes for the belly wing, I did.  I also had to use 1/8" spacers on the rear mounting holes for the belly wing as well, otherwise it would just barely clear the up pipe without touching.  I just couldn't get it to clear perfectly without the little extra spacers, but everyone could be a little different.  Bike runs like a rapped ape with Akro map off DJ website, made 147mph in the 1/4, no slouch down low either, no stumbles etc.....  Sounds killer!  Cheaper then the BDE too, but no customer support like Brocks.  My opinion, go with the HMF Bigbird and use the couple hundred saved to get it Dyno tuned and you won't need support.  Do yourself a favor and remove the PAIR valve, do the small box mod and get a BMC Race filter BEFORE you get it dyno tuned, otherwise you'll have to get it tuned again if you do it later.

Offline 04redbird

• Rider
header wrap...good idea?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 08:49:55 AM »
that another thing that scares the crap out of me burning my plastics,would the header wrap bee a good idea?ive seen it used on cars i  hear it can help make a little more power also,by keeping the heat in the primarys,but ive also heard it can eat up a set of headers in no time flat.but.... i dont know if it aplies to stainless steel tubing thou and more toward regular mild steel header pipes,i think the dual high mount are about the most kick ass set of pipes ive ever seen,but im worried about mommas ankels geeting burned while she's on the back,i klnow carbon fiber wouldnt be as bad but i like the polished alum alot better,im leaning toward the big bird a little more perf and a little less cost,again thanks for the replies

Offline 04redbird

• Rider
header wrap...good idea?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 08:50:13 AM »
that another thing that scares the crap out of me burning my plastics,would the header wrap bee a good idea?ive seen it used on cars i  hear it can help make a little more power also,by keeping the heat in the primarys,but ive also heard it can eat up a set of headers in no time flat.but.... i dont know if it aplies to stainless steel tubing thou and more toward regular mild steel header pipes,i think the dual high mount are about the most kick ass set of pipes ive ever seen,but im worried about mommas ankels geeting burned while she's on the back,i klnow carbon fiber wouldnt be as bad but i like the polished alum alot better,im leaning toward the big bird a little more perf and a little less cost,again thanks for the replies

Offline 04redbird

• Rider
header wrap...good idea?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 08:51:09 AM »

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 09:12:13 AM »
heard you the first 3 times
 :lol:

Offline SLOWBUSA

• Post Whore
HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 09:58:18 AM »
I have enough clearance between plastic, but like it was said earlier every bike might be a little different. I just lined my plastics with some aluminum exhaust tap where the pipe gets close to the plastics. The fit I have is pretty good. Tucks in nicely. :D

Offline 04redbird

• Rider
HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 10:00:35 AM »
woops.......? hee...hee..hee.

Offline SLOWBUSA

• Post Whore
HMF BIG BIRD...TO BIG?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 01:56:37 AM »
I think the carbon mufflers are less raspy than the metallic(FWIW). The Bigbird sounds better than I expected. No regrets. I bought mine used for $500. :D Thanks Indyracer. If you get one, polish the up pipe. Makes the system look great. :wink: