Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 05 GSXR1000 frame failure = shitty welds  (Read 8797 times)

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
05 GSXR1000 frame failure = shitty welds
« on: May 23, 2005, 09:47:53 AM »
Heres a link with pics. Welds look like JB Weld. No penetration. I know its the internet and we have no idea what was done to the bike to get it to break but those welds look like crap.
http://1tail.com/2005_GSXR_frame/default.asp
Pardon my spelling...I cant see the keyboard!!!!!

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 10:42:39 AM »
makes you wonder about what your riding on huh???
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 10:52:29 AM »
Quote from: Busa for hire
makes you wonder about what your riding on huh???

At 180+mph  :shock:

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 11:21:34 PM »
yeah i dont even wanna go 100 after seeing that shit  recall it and  give me a new frame damnit heh well only time will tell  if theres one like that theres more

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 12:13:48 PM »
Will someone with good welding knowledge look at these pics and teel us what you think about the penetration of the welds.

You guys grinding down your welds to polish your frames should really pay attention to this.

Offline R1GSXRKILLER

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 01:40:06 PM »
Weren't some of you giving us 10R owner's a whole lot ah shit when the front wheel recall was out  :lol: .

Anyway i got a gixxer on order, hope those fugger's at zuki take care of there customer's or i'm getting my money back..fuck that.

Offline Revalot # 1

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 06:45:07 PM »
Suzuki, makes good stuff, Show me the pics of the whole bike,from the front tire to back the tire, then we will know. :roll:
Member since Oct 29, 2002, Im in Texas
2002 Hayabusa S/G color,The Sledge Hammer,With Muzzys Digi-Kill air shifter, 1397cc 200 HP By JohnneyCheese
ZX14R
Im Following Jesus, wana come ?

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 09:24:11 PM »
Quote from: Powerstroke
Will someone with good welding knowledge look at these pics and teel us what you think about the penetration of the welds.

You guys grinding down your welds to polish your frames should really pay attention to this.

Looks like the welder had a cold that day . I think he blew his nose where he was going to weld then just said fuck it and painted over  the snot.
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline cstraubs1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 09:13:53 PM »
Quote from: R1GSXRKILLER
Weren't some of you giving us 10R owner's a whole lot ah shit when the front wheel recall was out  :lol: .

Anyway i got a gixxer on order, hope those fugger's at zuki take care of there customer's or i'm getting my money back..fuck that.

The 10r frames where cracking to....

Haven't you guys every seen busa necks busted from frt impacts???  Welds are the same way...

Offline NAARDEN

• Rider
    • WWW.NAARDEN.BIZ
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 11:02:17 PM »
you dont have to be a welder to see penetration sucked, if you look at the very last picture you can see is very easy how the weld seperated from the parent metal.  When you weld something its supposed to join it like its one piece and the strain of this wreck went right to the weakest point, someone better have some good lawyers

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 12:38:08 AM »
It looks like it penetrated in places but not on the top and bottom at all. More of a bridge than a weld.

tmoneygsxr

2005 gsxr 1000 cracked frame
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 12:00:26 AM »
Ive had my k5 1000 for about 2 months, and the other day I lowsided a corner at about 65,  the front just washed away.   The wreck left me with a frame snapped in 2 places.  1 place was a weld and the other break  was a  clean snap though the frame.

Offline PhantomBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 02:01:59 AM »
Quote from: Powerstroke

There's no penetration to speek of.  That's why it failed.  Yo can see there was no bevel on the pcs, they where just butted together and one cap weld was placed over it.  Very week weld.  The process for a complete 100% weld, one that will pass x-ray = The two pcs to be joined must be beveled. The welding process is as follows.

1)  the root pass, (or known as the stringer) must penetrate beyond the inner wall above flush.  Anything below flush is know as lack of penetration, or undercut.

2). Filler pass is what the term states.  You fill the bevel to just below flush of the outer wall.  If you fill it completely flush, the cap weld will protrude to high.

3.) The cap.  It's the final pass to complete the welding process.  The cap must not have undercut on the sides, and must extend above the outer wall thickness by at least 1/16th''to 1/8th''.  All pass' must be free of pin holes, porosity, slag, undercut, lack of fusion, lack of penetration, excessive penetration to pass the x-ray.

Note:  The cap weld is basically a cosmetic weld simple to make it look more uniform.  If the root pass is 100%, and the filler pass is 100%, you can actually grind the cap completely off and the weld joint will be just as strong if you left the cap on.  People that polish there frames should take great caution when you get close to the welds ( the welds you see are the cap welds), mainly because you do not know if the weld joint has 100% penetration.  You could have them x-rayed for your security.  But not knowing, you must not remove any of the cap weld during the polish job, because in this case, thats all there was holding the bike together.

Offline Commuta_Busa

• Post Master
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 08:52:30 AM »
I don't have pics but I saw another 1k live with the frame split! This one wasn't even at the weld!  :shock:   You can't tell in the pic but live when you look at the aluminium used for the frame the quality is crap, bad coler, bad grain... his split right where they had a big tap that puts a hole right through the frame on the bottom side. It's gotta' kill the strength of the frame!

This isn't an isolated incident and is gonna kill a few people before there's a recall or anything done by the factory.  :evil:
JE, TTS, Carpenter, Yoshimura, Akrapovich, TMH, BDE, APE, FBG, Lee Shierts, Schnitz, Orient Express, Stedman, Street n Track, Tsubaki, Kickstand Racing, Harris, AP Racing, Pro Machining, Spencer Cycles, HEL, NOS, NLR, Big CC Racing, Earl's, Pro-Bolt

Offline Mr. Demeanor

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
Sounds like they have found the limits of weight vs. strength. I know these are all breaking during crashing but I wouldnt want a bike that is totaled if it falls over.

Offline Revalot # 1

• Post Master
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 12:02:06 PM »
Any frame can brake if it fall,s just right, My GSXR 1100 a 95 model broke the part of the frame that holds the right foot peg on, Im sure State farm would have total it, If I had told them, they paid for the tip over, I got a New tank, And  Right side Body,:wink: ,My dad 2000 pound Bull knocked it over, I had a shop reweld the peg, No problem!

I see it Three ways, Dont buy a 1000, Keep it and dont wreck it, get a busa/But Any thing can break, Even a BUSA! :wink:
Member since Oct 29, 2002, Im in Texas
2002 Hayabusa S/G color,The Sledge Hammer,With Muzzys Digi-Kill air shifter, 1397cc 200 HP By JohnneyCheese
ZX14R
Im Following Jesus, wana come ?