Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Venue Rules and Regs.  (Read 3931 times)

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
Venue Rules and Regs.
« on: May 19, 2005, 04:16:47 PM »
1. Just curious, how do Land Speed Venues check engine displacement?
Pipet? Is the entire cumbustion chamber considered? How do you keep it
from leaking around rings? Ect.?  

2. Can having head work done affect cc displacement?

Offline Busa Quick

• Post Master
Venue Rules and Regs.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 04:52:35 PM »
I go to google.com and say "define engine displacement".

Engine displacement is defined as the total volume of air/fuel mixture an engine can draw in during one complete engine cycle; it is normally stated in cubic inches, cubic centimeters, or litres. In a piston engine, this is the volume that is swept as the pistons are moved from top dead center to bottom dead center

Mark
Black and Purple 04, MY MODS: Turbo, .08 spacer, s2000 injectors, yosh cams 7.2 spring, heavy clutch springs, APE valve springs, raised rev limiter to 11,500 rpm with ignition cut only, using only stock ECM with Petrik reprogramming method,

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
Venue Rules and Regs.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 05:53:05 PM »
Thanks for the response :) , disagree with first part, agree with second part. Those turbo guys can sure stuff/flow a lot more air/fuel compared to normally aspirated the same displacement.
But anyway, at land speed venues how do they accomplish this (physically measure displacement) and does head combustion chamber size make a difference when they do it.

I think, they would take a pipet filled with a fluid (I have heard trans fluid), pull a plug bring piston to bottom and fill to a point right below end of plug threads, multiply by number of cylinders and you have displacement, but I am not sure if this is exactly how it is done.

Also, if this is the way it is performed, would there not be leakage around rings or piston for those who do not run rings. :(

Offline joea

• Post Whore
Venue Rules and Regs.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 07:00:44 PM »
mark....what does that google definition tell
him about how the lsr venues "check" displacement??

TRN.......Maxton......dont worry the DONT, DONT
check displacement..........

SCTA (El Mirage/Bonneville)...do check  with a pipet
method  as you describe with tranny fluid, the large pipet
is connected by hose to your plug hole, and motor is
rotated so as to visually see how much fluid is displaced
from tdc to bdc.....
OR pull head and measure  each bore and stroke
and compute........
or on some engines with direct center plugs, there
are some tools that can drop through hole and be
"deployed" to measure bore, and stroke....and compute

cylinder head  has nothing to do with how much volume
is  displaced by the moving piston.......

Joe

edited   "whole" to "hole"
ex busa owner
not worthy

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Venue Rules and Regs.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
Years ago, P&G made a displacement checker that was used at a lot of drag strips.  Don't know if they still do - or if they are still around ?? ?? ??

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
Venue Rules and Regs.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 08:45:04 AM »
Thanks, just incase I run at some of these other venues, I would like to be legal. Hope to see Maxton crowd late 06 and possibly sand and dirt guys in early 07. :D

How do you get the trans oil out? Roll engine over and blow it out on your tech buddy. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline JACKD

• Rider
You can thank the bikers for the method to measure the motor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 10:22:41 AM »
without removing the head.
As for the oil, flush it with WD-40 first and draw off the excess with a Hypo and a small tube.
Hook the cam back up and replace the warm up plug before you spin it and send the excess out the pipe.
Now is the time to ask the tech guy to look down the end of the pipe to watch for it.
A plus would be to actually fire it to the long lasting appreciation of the other entrants.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
Venue Rules and Regs.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 11:47:14 AM »
My buddy races Asphault sleds and they have a tool that goes into the spark plug hole and then spreads (like a caliper) to measure the bore then they measure the stroke and use a formula to get cc's..
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

Offline JACKD

• Rider
USAC
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »
That tool was first developed by USAC for use in a center plug head like an Offy and a Cosworth.
The P+G air pump was more common in the angle plug wedge head motors.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
Re: USAC
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 05:18:10 PM »
Quote from: JACKD
That tool was first developed by USAC for use in a center plug head like an Offy and a Cosworth.
The P+G air pump was more common in the angle plug wedge head motors.

yea the plug hole was right in the middle of the head...
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.