Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: big bore  (Read 8251 times)

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
big bore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 07:31:21 AM »
Baseline with an akra evo, short stacks, BMC, AILISYN mix of 0w/20 and 10w30 made 156/79. A year later...3 mm 13.5.1, crappy stage 1 Yosh cams, mild head cleanup, Irdium plugs, regular oil, removed counterbalancer made 178/89, a month later in cooler air at Gainesville on a adifferent dyno made 183/91. My PC-3 r went out (2nd time) :( I replaced last month with USB and made 178/88 on 100 octane. The cams are limiting the hp and prolly the old fuel pump too...changed out and the injectors. I guess I got some bad gas? debating on webs or megacycles and larger valves and matching head work. Have a small dry shot soon to be added. I have over 9k hard miles on it and runs fine.

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
big bore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 08:01:55 AM »
The nasty fuel pump on the right. Was breaking up on the top end, wonder why....

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
big bore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 09:17:50 AM »
Save your time with the big valves for the 1000...

Get Mega Cycle cams.  PM Dark Falcon for cam help!!!

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
big bore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »
Hey this is the litre board- what ya doing in here :)  I'm debating the valves, the cams i will replace for sure. The Yosh cams have no more lift than stock and just an extra bit of duration. The bike will fry the rear 1st-4th with stock pressure and leave's turbo like tire marks on them on ramps!

Ryan, Stock Mild To Wild is itching to try a litre bike head and I think my bike would make a good donor to try if the price is fair for the trial and error. I seen some of his headwork on busas and they don't all end up on bikes around here. He is pretty enthusastic but we need too see his work at the track. I have no doubt he has the knowledge.

Did you race the Nos R1 last night? I can't wait for my bike to get back. It should be running good. Have some fuel tricks to play with after I get a wide band and some real world a/f testing done.

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
big bore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 11:13:40 AM »
I'm sure. P/V clearance will be checked as well. I have the hd 750 springs and ti retainers. Not a wrencher and leave that for the experts.

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
big bore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 01:01:08 PM »
I bought a package deal from APE. Pistons, cams, retainers, crank balancing and cylinder bore. It took quite a bit longer than quoted but they did a very good job. I used a shop in Lake Cty, Fl to do the assembly and dyno tuning. HPCycles one man shop. Does very good work, but is always busy. Patience is a must. The whole project was very long, between getting the right cam timing for the best overall powerband vs a peak number and some wrong parts (not from APE)  and if you plan to build in the superbike racing season (now) good luck finding all your parts. They cater too the racing folks first, regardless of the ads on the net and the various publications that indicate they are available.

Rick

Online busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
big bore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 01:43:15 AM »
how about hard starts when hot like the busa..is that a problem with 1000 i got the 02...is your motor 2mm or 3mm over bore...still using stock rods..

Quote from: Ricksgsxr
I bought a package deal from APE. Pistons, cams, retainers, crank balancing and cylinder bore. It took quite a bit longer than quoted but they did a very good job. I used a shop in Lake Cty, Fl to do the assembly and dyno tuning. HPCycles one man shop. Does very good work, but is always busy. Patience is a must. The whole project was very long, between getting the right cam timing for the best overall powerband vs a peak number and some wrong parts (not from APE)  and if you plan to build in the superbike racing season (now) good luck finding all your parts. They cater too the racing folks first, regardless of the ads on the net and the various publications that indicate they are available.

Rick

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
big bore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 10:27:09 AM »
3 mm 1070 with Carillo rods. I did not skimp anywhere. You might get by with shot peening the stock rods and getting them cyro treated but I knew I would later spray it and wanted the added insurance.

Yes, It was hard to start when hot and had to let it sit for 15 minutes or so before it would crank back up. That was with the oem battery that was over 2 years old. Took some timing out but did not help. I ended changing to a busa battery Yx14XS? Yuasa, stock uses a 12. No more problems. I had to trim the tab under the seat for clearance as the busa battery is higher.

I had a manual fan switch before I did the engine work. I used Engine Ice and works fine. Will get hot in traffic, but it did when it was stock too. Click the fan on when it hits 195 and no problem.

Going to get a wide band commander or similar device to get the the "real" air/fuel ratio and tune it, than play with some fuels. Sooner or later it will detonate, than I will get a stroker add a  supercharger and small shot. Will be a very interesting lil motor :) I have everything else replaced, cf bodywork, marchesinis, wave rotors, airboz, plasma booster, ceramic bearings etc and instead of buying a new bike every other year will use the money and reinvest into it and make it different. It has been the best bike I have ever owned. I beat the hell at of it and keeps on ticking.

Now if KTM comes out with the rumored V6 or Honda makes a V5 It may change my outlook. But for now no reason to change.

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
big bore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 10:45:26 AM »
didn't see Rick but what year is your bike??
Got any pics??
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.

Online busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
big bore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 02:38:55 PM »
3 mm 1070 with Carillo rods. I did not skimp anywhere. You might get by with shot peening the stock rods and getting them cyro treated but I knew I would later spray it and wanted the added insurance.

Yes, It was hard to start when hot and had to let it sit for 15 minutes or so before it would crank back up. That was with the oem battery that was over 2 years old. Took some timing out but did not help. I ended changing to a busa battery Yx14XS? Yuasa, stock uses a 12. No more problems. I had to trim the tab under the seat for clearance as the busa battery is higher.

I had a manual fan switch before I did the engine work. I used Engine Ice and works fine. Will get hot in traffic, but it did when it was stock too. Click the fan on when it hits 195 and no problem.

Going to get a wide band commander or similar device to get the the "real" air/fuel ratio and tune it, than play with some fuels. Sooner or later it will detonate, than I will get a stroker add a  supercharger and small shot. Will be a very interesting lil motor :) I have everything else replaced, cf bodywork, marchesinis, wave rotors, airboz, plasma booster, ceramic bearings etc and instead of buying a new bike every other year will use the money and reinvest into it and make it different. It has been the best bike I have ever owned. I beat the hell at of it and keeps on ticking.

Now if KTM comes out with the rumored V6 or Honda makes a V5 It may change my outlook. But for now no reason to change.

cool sound like you are having a blast riding that thing i'am still undecided about the big block or a turbo...still looking around and asking questions....

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
big bore
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 10:31:28 PM »
Quote from: Busa for hire
didn't see Rick but what year is your bike??
Got any pics??

Scroll down near the bottom. 2001 model

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=44363

I have a couple different looks. The one above was screwing around with a short pipe and had the lowers off and the oem tank. I have a Carbon Fibre/Fiberglass sloped tank. Bike now is getting a new look. '04 solo tail section, relocated the battery under the passenger section so I have some storage where the battery normally resides. Going to stick with the oem steel tank for now, paint it a dark charcoal metallic and R1 blue on top. The tail will be a combo of the dark charcoal, R1 blue and a midnight blue with flake. A yellow 1000 decal with either the + sign or in small font Plus after the 0. Since the picture link I had the rotors and sprockets   powerded coated black and the swingarm extensions (for sale-made by Nick Smith and very good quality)  have been replaced with a modified 3-8" extended swingarm with a 2 lb bottle bracket from Spencer Cycle-Doug is a great vender! one of his adjustable aluminum kickstands, dark tint screen over the headlight, cf windsheild and CRG levers. I should have back soon, another week or so and will post updated pics. The Cf tank will paint the top half with the dark metallic blue flake and buy another solo seat section and paint black. Switch back and forth between the stealth look and the brighter blue. Only takes about 15 minutes to swap out the two pieces.

I would like to morph a 04 R1 front fairing or add HID bulbs inside the stock light brackets. I seen a kit over in the UK that looked pretty neat. The inner HID bulbs can be used as turn indicators or second set of lights.

Endless project/ideas :wink:

Offline Rick Gregory

• Rider
big bore
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 07:42:44 AM »
Same shop built a stroker but used different cams made  5 more hp but a lot more tq especially down low. I'm playing with a few things to boost up the low end. It screams on the top, really comes on strong about 6500. It's not like its a dog down low, but small motor and that is what I want the spray for, nothing big just a lil 20-30 hp hit I can use in 1st or second.

Always be a small motor and a disadvantage but I like challenges and trying different stuff. Still 180 hp in a true sub 400lb bike is fun,fun! :D

Offline J R

• Nitromethane Wizard
  • Universal Post Whore
big bore
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 09:53:35 AM »
Same shop built a stroker but used different cams made  5 more hp but a lot more tq especially down low. I'm playing with a few things to boost up the low end. It screams on the top, really comes on strong about 6500. It's not like its a dog down low, but small motor and that is what I want the spray for, nothing big just a lil 20-30 hp hit I can use in 1st or second.

Always be a small motor and a disadvantage but I like challenges and trying different stuff. Still 180 hp in a true sub 400lb bike is fun,fun! :D
Your bike is a freakin blast to ride and not slow by any means :D