Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Cam Gear Adjustment?  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Jimi

• Post Whore
Cam Gear Adjustment?
« on: June 20, 2005, 11:49:17 PM »
I just got done putting my motor back together (spun crank/rod bearings). I followed the cam installation instructions in the shop manual as close as I could. I have Falicon adjustable cam gears. Turns out, the numbers stamped on the gears are not in the same location as stock so, I put them in the wrong location. My question is, on a 02 G1K, would I be able to pull the cam chain tensioner and rotate the cams to the proper location without pulling the motor again?

turbo_steve

cam gear installation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 02:17:34 AM »
Just unbolt the intake cam caps (with the engine in the frame) and lift it out of it's journals and move it towards the exhaust cam to allow enough chain slack for adjustment (with tensioner removed).  The exhaust cam can stay put.

Anonymous

Cam Gear Adjustment?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 07:10:23 AM »
turbo_steve, thanks for the response. I pulled both caps and both cams last night with the motor still on the bike. It was tight!!
It looks like I had them installed correctly? I had the intake arrow by the number 3 straight up. On the exhaust, I had the #2 and the indentation straight up as per the manual. Bike started but ran like shite.  assumed that it was cam timing? The Falicon cam gears are maked differently than the stock gears. I am lost big time!! Here's a couple of photo's of the gears. Intake

And two of the exhaust.

turbo_steve

adjustable cam gears
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 10:16:17 PM »
After aftermarket adjustable gears are installed on the cams, the cams must be degreed in after they are put back in the engine.  Don't forget to check the level of the lifters to make sure none of the shims hasn't jumped out of it's place because that will make the bike run like crap.  Check the valve clearances also just to make sure.  If the cams were installed improperly and the engine was started you might have bent some valves.  You can do a compression test or leak down test to check for that.
Hope that helps.