Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO LOWER U'RE BIKE  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO LOWER U'RE BIKE
« on: July 04, 2005, 11:45:22 PM »
Here I’m going to go over the steps needed to lower your bike. This was for my 2001 1K. I’m doing this because a while ago I wanted to lower my bike but wasn’t sure what was involved. It’s easier than I thought. I wished that a write up was available. But anyway, I took pictures, so maybe this will help someone else out, so here goes. I’m no expert, and this was the first time I’ve done this, so if u have other things to add, don’t be shy.

If any of u think this should be a sticky(since this is the drag racing forum), speak up, and hopefully the mods will help us out.

First, lets talk about the front. There are two simple options available that I know of. First, u can drop your forks through the trees. This is a simple process and u can do it in about 20 minutes or so. Or u can buy a strap and to pull your frame down towards the brake calipers(for track use only). Keep in mind that the strap will only allow u to pull the front down so far. So the height of your forks through your trees will determine how far down u can pull your bike with your strap.

I did a combination of both, with dropping the forks through one inch, and also pulling the front down with a strap. With both these mods, I was able to drop the front approximately 4 inches. If u plan on riding your bike on the street, don’t drop it too much through the forks. AND THE STRAP SHOULD ONLY BE USED DURING RACING, cause steering sucks, and your suspension basically isn’t working anymore.

To install the strap:
1.)Remove these bolts.

2.) Install strap loop, and run up along side the frame, between the gas tank bolts, and the steering head, and around to the other side. Make sure to run the strap underneath any lines or wires.

3.)To lower, just grab the front brake with your right hand, hold the strap in your left hand and pull tightly, push forward on the gas tank with your body. Keep doing this till u get the bike low.

4.)This is easy, and can be done in seconds. After racing, simply hold the release button, grab the brake again, and try to roll the bike backwards (this will pull up the front and take tension off the strap. MAKE SURE ALL TENSION IS OFF THE STRAP BEFORE RIDING!!!!!

To drop the forks through:
1.)Loosen these bolts.(DO NOT LOOSEN IF STRAPS ARE TIGHT)

2.)Grab the fork from beneath, and push and twist upwards. It should go.

3.)Get it to where u want and measure this distance.

4.)Do the same for the other side.

5.)Re-tighten those fork tube bolts. BE WEARY OF THE TAPERING OF THE FORK TUBES AND MAKE SURE THE TRIPLE CLAMPS DOWN ON THEM TIGHTLY!!!!!

To drop the rear:

I got a set of speedlink adjustable links from Schnitz. I lowered mine an inch for street duty, but will drop another inch at the track. Here’s what I did. Start off with a baseline and adjust till u get them the same length as the stock ones. Have a helper hold the two ends, and u turn the center till u can see which way will lengthen and shorten them. Lengthening them will lower the bike. So once I found that that direction, I punched an arrow on them signaling which way to turn that will lower the bike(this will make it easier to adjust once on the bike). After u figure this out, install that one on the bike. Repeat for other side. Adjust as necessary once installed to the height u want.

1.)Loosen the rear of fairings.

2.)Remove the two dogbones in rear.

3.)Adjust the new links to same length as stock.

4.)Figure out which way will lengthen the link, scribe it with arrow pointing in direction lengthen them. (I had my arrows both pointing out from center of bike so I could see them. Then every time that arrow comes back around, that’s one full turn. For me, 8 turns lowered the bike about an inch)

5.)Install on bike, and tighten the jam nuts.

6.)Repeat for other side.

7.)Then adjust each side maybe 2 turns or so till u get what u want. (DON'T FORGET TO RE-TIGHTEN THOSE JAM NUTS)

The bike now feels different. But it’s not bad at all, trust me. I’m not sure what I’ll do for 2 up riding though? I might have to raise the rear up and leave it that way? But when I go to the track, the rear will come down about 2 inches from stock, and the front will be down about 4 inches from stock.

Here's an old pic at the stock height.

Here’s a pic with the bike lowered 1 inch all around.

Here’s a pic with the front lowered with the strap as well. It doesn't look to much lower with the strap in the pic for some reason, but the strap actually "SLAMMED" it another 3 inches.

Another angle of the strapped bike.

this was  brought to you by forrestang on gixxer.com

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:11:32 AM »
Good info for the 1K guys and girls..
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

fastcrifft

????????
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 05:51:24 PM »
why do U want to slam down your bike.....

Offline Loc-Nar

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 07:07:47 PM »
Whats the purpose of lowering a 1K and same for Busa???
Friends WOULD NEVER ALLOW Friends to vote for a lib/dem. Stupity is no Excuse for it. Only ignorance lets you.

Offline Paul Flis

• Post Whore
  • Artist formerly known as Absolute Cycles
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 10:43:52 PM »
To keep the front end down mainly this also helps get more of the power to the ground, and hopefully results in going faster :!: .