Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: How hard are the liter bikes on tires/chains?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Alaska's Southern Flavor

• Mad Post Whore
How hard are the liter bikes on tires/chains?
« on: August 02, 2005, 04:55:10 PM »
We all know that the Busa and other big bikes are notorious tire/chain eaters.  What kind of tire/chain life can you expect with moderate/ some hard riding on a giggy 1k?  Is it about the same?  I ask because in October I am getting a new bike.  If there is no Busa on the showroom floor than it will be a 1k.  Always wanted one anyway.
It is not so much about you owning the Bike as it is the Bike owning a part of you.

Offline GeorgeC

• Mad Post Whore
  • It sucks to be slow...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 09:52:51 AM »
They're going to be a little easier on the chain since they don't make the torque of the Busa.

A lot of guys convert to a 520-series chain on the liter bikes to free up some frictional losses, and don't have problems.  Don't know if I'd want to do that on one I drag raced though.

Offline osman

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 01:43:46 AM »
There was a thread over on gixxer.com about tire life a few days ago, on the new k5.

the guy had 1800 miles on his and was replaced. other ppl has anywhere from 1500-4000, all 1000's.

I never lasted over 1500mi on the busa back tire, don't plan to on the 1k either.
drive it like theres poo on the back seat.

Offline Busa for hire

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 07:56:25 AM »
yea I guess it depends on when you think you NEED to replace the rear. I have 3200 miles on my stock ten back tire but I'd say it'll go another 4-500 miles I'm almost to the wear bars.. I have done ZERO burnouts. the sides are almost wore as well as the middle.
I think if your only getting 1500 miles or less out of ANY tire. your doing things to ruin it not normal wear.
Hell I had a race take off on a turbo bike last almost 2000 miles and about 70 trips donw the strip.
previously owned a 01 blk/gry Busa little of this little of that...oh yeah and a ghetto turbo 320horse/200ft.lb. 8.92@169
Bikeless....for now.