Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: st recomendations?  (Read 537 times)

Offline brianm767

• Rider
st recomendations?
« on: October 01, 2005, 04:59:21 PM »
ok so here's whats going on. my great uncle who is in his 70's has decided to start riding bikes again,  he has ridden alot over the years and hes got the bug to start again.  And even though he's in his 70's hes very active and in great shape and still has quick reflexis, I'm not worried about his abillity to ride I just would like to help him find the bike that is right for him,   he says he would like the bike to ride around town (Modesto, Ca) and occasionaly ride down to visit family in Visalia and Porterville. probably around 145 to 185 miles each way? and I'm sure he will be riding over to the coast with me and my father,  OK so here's what im looking for , we have suggessted  bikes such as the SuzukiSV650 or the Yamaha FZ6 , since their cheaper and lighter , but he's in love with the Honda st1300 , and so am I , just wondering if is good to go out and spend 13.299OTD to see if you like riding still.   he is addimant he wants shaft drive, and he doesnt want a cruiser . are there any other bikes out there that might fit our description of what he's looking for?  I even suggested a used st100?   he likes the FJR1300 but we can actually get a ST1300 for 200 dollars less out of LAcycle sports, and they have them bith on the floor.   He loves the look of sport bikes????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
thanks.  oh and yes he's taking the msf course before he gets on the road again,
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 05:02:17 PM by brianm767 »

Offline HOG SLYR

• Post Whore
Re: st recomendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:37:40 PM »
The ST1300 is a nice ride, a bit more tour than sport but fun none the less. Great brakes, smooth with a gentle power band (not explosive) and the 7.7 gal. gas tank would make his trek a piece of cake but it will tip the scales at 650lbs +. The FJR is a bit more sport than the ST though. The ST does put a fair amount of warm air on the rider which may be a bit  hot in the summer in the San Joaquin Valley but would be great with the Tule fog. I have a 2005  ST ABS if you want to go for a spin before you buy. I'm in Frazier Park between you and L.A. Here's a link to an ST board if you want more info. Also if you buy a used ST stay with the 1300 over the erlier 1100 the're light years ahead.
http://www.st-owners.com/

Ron
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 10:36:54 PM by HOG SLYR »