Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: how to lower the busa?  (Read 13207 times)

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
how to lower the busa?
« on: November 22, 2005, 09:57:13 AM »
ok guys.since my 99 is turboed/stock wheelbase that thing just wheelies to much.
now i want to either stretch it a bit(max 3inches)or lower it.
what swingarm would be the best bang for the buck?
and if i lower it,will it cause any damage?lowering only the front recommended or both front and rear?
how do you guys do it.
btw,id prefer to just lower it.
thanks for answers

Offline Squeeze

• Rider
Re: how to lower the busa?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 11:54:51 AM »
Do you race a lot or ride on the street?  Do you ride much with a passenger?
You meet the fastest people on a Busa.

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:06:28 PM »
I just bought some soupy links. Will tell you how they work but i should be able to raise  adn lower without ripping the bike apart. Adjustable Extenders are nice if you have money for chains.
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 01:35:44 PM »
since i ride mostly on the street i want a solution as streetable as possible.and a lowered busa looks very cool. :lol:
passengers maybe once a month,no more.
i had it once strapped all the way down on a trailer and it looked so cool,but i guess loewering it all the way is too much for street use.
anyonw who runs a lowered busa on a dayly basis?

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 01:38:32 PM »
I do. I like the look and ride even when i was 6 over.
"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it."

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 01:41:43 PM »
ok.so how did you lower it?what parts?just the front or front and rear lowered?thanks.how is it to ride?wheelies gone?

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 01:42:44 PM »
um,pics?

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 01:46:48 PM »
2 inch wheelies at full throttle...no turbo...

1 1/4 up front and 2 in rear. 3 hole dog bones in back (middle hole) and reaper risers up front. I am gonna sell my dogbones after i get soupys lowering links if you are interested, polished with hayabusa written on them. Used extenders on back.

old pics

Offline Reverend D.

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 02:01:25 PM »

reaper risers in the front www.reaperracing.biz

and lowering links  somewhere on ebay you will find three hole links

oh and bobby5150s old arm and extension 6 in over great

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 02:58:29 PM »
both very nice bike....
bobby yours has the perfect height.yes i would be interessed to buy your stuff.when will it be avaiable?
dsotier looks great,and the wheelbase looks good to.i dont like it too stretched.is that a 6over?

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 03:00:23 PM »
same arm in both pics. mines just prettier...im actually 8 over now.   :shock:

I should get the dogbones off this week and i will send them to you cheap.

get the risers from reaper...great guy to deal with, he is a member here.

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 03:06:23 PM »
bobby could you take thr raisers from reaper and then send them together with your stuff to me?easyier for me,since im in europe.
so,thats an 6over arm?

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 03:20:09 PM »
sure, you are paying shipping though...gotta see how much they will run. I will try to hook you up let me see if he ships there.

Offline eclectic1

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 03:34:42 PM »
When I put on the Ohlin's rear shock (slow speed dampening, high speed dampening, and rebound adjustments), I noticed the wheelies were mostly eliminated. It also improved braking. I think it controls the weight transfer better in both directions better. I think the slow speed dampening is responsible but the effects are so subtle it is hard to tell. But, I felt as I adjusted that mechanism it made an improvement with the weight transfer but did not kill the ride with harshness. I always like the 2" wheelies but now I do not have to back off or pay attention to them. I like the control.

I also put Ohlins on the front along with a Trac triple clamp top so it is hard to sort out what did what.

The Trac triple clamp piece and other brands will allow you to lower the front. But I got it to change the handlebar angle for a more comfortable and controllable position for me.

I do not have the turbo's power with which to deal.
Eclectic1
2001 Blue/Silver
Mods:BST Carbon Wheels, BMC, TRE, PCll (Changing to PC3USB), Ceramic Wheel Bearings, X-chain, Pair Valve, Akrapovic Full Exhaust, Ohlins Forks and Shock, Brembo Front Master Cylinder/GP Calipers, Wave Rotors.

Offline busabiker69

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 04:08:24 PM »
Is it possible to raise the bars (for less stress on the wrist) and lower the front end at the same time (better ride and look) :?:
Where did whooo go?

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 04:17:47 PM »
When I put on the Ohlin's rear shock (slow speed dampening, high speed dampening, and rebound adjustments), I noticed the wheelies were mostly eliminated. It also improved braking. I think it controls the weight transfer better in both directions better. I think the slow speed dampening is responsible but the effects are so subtle it is hard to tell. But, I felt as I adjusted that mechanism it made an improvement with the weight transfer but did not kill the ride with harshness. I always like the 2" wheelies but now I do not have to back off or pay attention to them. I like the control.

I also put Ohlins on the front along with a Trac triple clamp top so it is hard to sort out what did what.

The Trac triple clamp piece and other brands will allow you to lower the front. But I got it to change the handlebar angle for a more comfortable and controllable position for me.

I do not have the turbo's power with which to deal.
Pics please?

Offline eclectic1

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 04:24:21 PM »
Busabiker69:

Yes it you can raise the bar and lower the front end. Products like the triple clamps (Trac brand in my case) will allow you to lower the front. Products like Helibar, Reaper Risers (not sure on spelling) and another brand will allow you to raise and bring back the bar.

Search the threads for Helibar, Risers and other keywords for a start. I had seen a few threads on your question over a year ago.

Oh I just remembered, I also added a custom seat (Can not remember his name at the moment but found him on this board) which lower the rider about 1.5 inches. It makes the reach to the bars very easy and seems to add a little more balance and control. Most of my weight is supported on the tank bra so there is almost no weight on the bars with my elbows bent. Took off the stock pegs and put a pair of light aftermarket pegs which save weight and gave me an inch more leg room. I was suprised that the pegs did not add any distracting vibration--a good buy. I am 5' 8" so everything helps.

Ksana:

Pics? What do you want to see? I have to take the pics and figure out how to post them--not a problem, just be patient. Just edit your post and I will try to respond to your specific request.

The rear shock is mostly hidden. If you want to see the Trac Triple Clamp Top, go to http://www.tracdynamics.com/ and select Style and Control. I started with the Trac billet version (saves two pounds according to the web page), then shaved off the raised "Trac" logo (Did not want to see it daily while riding.) and polished the shaved-off area to match the rest of the finish. Except for two bolts which I could not find, I replaced all the steel hardware with titanium.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:58:36 PM by eclectic1 »
Eclectic1
2001 Blue/Silver
Mods:BST Carbon Wheels, BMC, TRE, PCll (Changing to PC3USB), Ceramic Wheel Bearings, X-chain, Pair Valve, Akrapovic Full Exhaust, Ohlins Forks and Shock, Brembo Front Master Cylinder/GP Calipers, Wave Rotors.

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 04:29:53 PM »
bobby,its ok i pay shipping.just let me know when youre ready to ship.pm or email me.
2inch wheelies?damn i get the tank into my face if i open it to fast in 3rd. :lol:

Offline busabiker69

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 05:23:31 PM »
eclectic1:

Thanks for the reply.  I checked the reaper risers web site and it said you could use their product to either raise the bars or lower the front.  I was just wondering if you could do both with their product.  Thanks again.   8)
Where did whooo go?

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 05:30:32 PM »
You can but the inch 1/4 kit and not lower it all the way. Should work no problem. Ask reaper in the vender sections. Nice guy.

Offline BigJ

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 07:51:55 PM »
3 hole dog bones for the back.  Use the second hole.  Buy an aftermarket triple clamp for the front and lower the front 1 1/4 inches.  I had the reapers risers and they worked fine but I personally like the aftermarket clamp on my Busa.  At this height, there is still enouph clearance for street riding.  I live in the country and I don't have any problems. 
Riding with GOD at my side!
Blue/Silver Busa.  Stock......for now!

Offline fstbusa

• Mad Post Whore
  • g0t B00st?
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 02:08:42 PM »
turbo
stock wheelbase

lowered 2" rear
1" front.

03 40th Ann. Ghetto Busa

Offline bobby5150

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 02:16:29 PM »
the reason i chose the reapers is price. the after market top clamp looks real good but i think i paid around 30 or 40 for the risers instead of 150.

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 02:18:58 PM »
turbo
stock wheelbase

lowered 2" rear
1" front.

still wheelie prone?

Offline denise richards

• don long
  • Universal Post Whore
  • IMNOLONGER
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 02:20:45 PM »
bobby i checked the reapersrisers website and i have to ask you will the tripple tre look raised or will it look like stock?