Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Who's got N2O on an '05... UPDATED  (Read 5423 times)

Offline GeorgeC

• Mad Post Whore
  • It sucks to be slow...
Who's got N2O on an '05... UPDATED
« on: November 01, 2005, 08:45:53 PM »
I started some of the wiring for my MPS dry kit tonight, and have run into a snag.  The '05 models kill the headlight when starting the bike (nice feature, provides more available current for the starting sytem).  Well, the problem is with the MPS switch swapper wired in, and using the starter button for nitrous activation, it turns off the fucking headlight.  :roll:  I've got to find some kind of way around this now, as I don't want to be going down the road (or track) in the dark, and hit the button and have the headlight turn off...

Anyone have a clue?  I guess if I have to, I'll just not use the starter button.  I'm using a Schnitz rpm window switch which has a TPS input that I could use, but I'd like manual control with a button as well.  Stupid '05 model...  :evil:

UPDATE:

OK, here's what I've done to eliminate the headlight from turning off when the starter switch is pressed...  I'm using three wires on the switch swapper, two of which are for the starter switch (yellow and orange), and one is a +12v that is hot when the switch is in the N2O position and the button is pressed.  I took the +12v (normally only for engaging the nitrous) and fed it to a relay, so the relay is energized when the starter button is pressed and the switch swapper is in the nitrous position.  On the switched side of the relay, I just fed a 12v source to one side, and tapped into the + wire that feeds the headlight with the other.  The headlight still turns off as normal when starting the bike, but with the switch swapper in the N2O position, the headlight is fed 12v when the button is pressed (and obviously has 12v when it's not pressed also).  When I test is, the headlight just has a slight flicker/dims for an instant as the button is pressed. 

I've got the Schnitz RPM window switch all wired up and working as well...  Now all I need to do is finish mounting the bottle in the hump (I'm using the Tiger Racing piece for this), run the N2O line, mount the nozzles, and wire up the solenoid.  I'm going to mess with it some throughout the week after work, and possibly have it all finished up in time for Bradenton on 11/20.  I'm not in a huge hurry, so I'm not going to kill myself getting it all done. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 03:49:24 PM by GeorgeC »

GoldenChild

Re: Who's got N2O on an '05...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:36:46 AM »
So you are saying with the bike running and the nos bottle off,if you turn the swapper on to turn the system on & you hit the starter button the headlight turns off as long as the starter button is depressed???

Offline GeorgeC

• Mad Post Whore
  • It sucks to be slow...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 03:33:24 AM »
Yep...  I tapped in to the wire near the connector on the left side of the bike near the fusebox...

At first I thought maybe it wouldn't kill the headlight with the bike running, but I tried that to verify, and it still does.  :(

GoldenChild

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:02:14 PM »
I may have a solution for you and i think what happened is your on the wrong side of the harness connector,connect it on the side of the connector that is closes to the switch before the connector,if you did it on the side closes to the motor's main harness it gets power from a block there.if you got a camera send me a pic of the way you have it connected right now before you change it.  cloudninemtrspts@aol.com  or you can call 503-381-8187

Offline GeorgeC

• Mad Post Whore
  • It sucks to be slow...
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 04:50:21 PM »
I've actually got it connected on the left side of the bike underneath the cowling.  I'm going to move it and see what it does.  Worst case scenario is that I have to solder a wire back together.

Offline ny05busa

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:40:46 PM »
My 05 does the same exact thing with the mps kit!!!
Bought 04/21/05 silver n blue busa. TI force, 16/42 , chrome lowereing clamp, lowering links, speedoheeler, double bubble, bar ends, fairing screens, tobin seats with pad, GANN arm, chrome carrezzios, carpenter 1397,vortec rearsets, mps nos, air shifter

Offline GeorgeC

• Mad Post Whore
  • It sucks to be slow...
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 05:55:33 PM »
FWIW, I spliced into the starter switch wire right up by where it exits the housing, and it does the same thing...  I can't get my hands on a wiring diagram for an '05 to see exactly what kills the light, so I'm giving up on the starter button idea.

I'm just going to splice into the TPS and use the Schnitz rpm switch only, so the nitrous will flow at full throttle, with no manual button.  :(

Offline TurboBlew

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »
Why not go to the horn on a toggle?
"go ahead...bring your mama!"

Offline J R

• Nitromethane Wizard
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 10:16:39 PM »

GoldenChild

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 11:20:37 PM »
If you don't have a airshifter i would do it on the horn side.the flash to pass will work to but it is alot more complicated to cause of suzuki's wiring.you could always wire it to the high beam side of your headlight too,flick to high beam and your off.

Offline GeorgeC

• Mad Post Whore
  • It sucks to be slow...
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 12:03:19 AM »
The air shifter is set up for the horn.

The highbeam is out of the question, as I use it at night.  I'm just going to trigger it with a toggle and TPS sensor.  No biggie...

Offline schrader13

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 06:11:54 PM »
i know what your saying mine is the same way! tried everything. now i just race in the day!!
2005 500hp + turbo busa
2000 nos busa
2003 texas chopper
67 big block blown big tire camaro
98 c5 corvette
nasty 686 raptor

Offline GeorgeC

• Mad Post Whore
  • It sucks to be slow...
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 07:16:30 PM »
I wish I could figure something out...  I've got the Schnitz window switch all wired up, and working off of the TPS, but I still want to have some manual control of nitrous flow so I can keep it from spraying in 1st gear, etc...

I'm going to mount a button or switch somewhere within easy reach I guess, but I haven't figured out where yet...

Offline GeorgeC

• Mad Post Whore
  • It sucks to be slow...
Re: Who's got N2O on an '05... UPDATED
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 03:49:57 PM »
Bump...

Updated the original post.  8)

Offline schrader13

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 04:37:34 PM »
great idea and thanks for the update i will try this myself!
2005 500hp + turbo busa
2000 nos busa
2003 texas chopper
67 big block blown big tire camaro
98 c5 corvette
nasty 686 raptor

Offline Chuck Wilburn

• Post Whore
    • http://www.tupeloperformancecycles.com
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 10:51:43 PM »