Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Hayabusa high output stator  (Read 19693 times)

Offline SJJBusa

• Mad Post Whore
Hayabusa high output stator
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:47:20 AM »
I spoke with the folks at Rick's Motorsport Electrics recently & asked if they had available a high output rewound stator for the Hayabusa. They mentioned that they had performed this service one time in the past, but never received any feedback from the customer in regards to performance. Rick generously offered to perform this service for me if I would provide him some feedback, which I readily agreed to. The results are listed as follows.

At 5000 RPM, the stock Hayabusa stator is rated to provide approximately 400 watts of power while maintaining a voltage of between 13.5 - 15.0.

Using a stock bike, the revs were brought to  5000, then a variable load was applied until the measured voltage dropped to 13.5. At this point, the current was measured to be 29.6 amps, which works out to 399.6 watts.

The rewound stator was substituted, and the above procedure was repeated. The current at 5000 RPM was measured to be 37.4. This equates to 504.9 watts, a 25 % improvement over the factory stator.

If you feel this is something you might be interested in for your bike, contact Rick's Motorsport Electrics  for more information. 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 03:36:29 PM by SJJBusa »

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
Re: Hayabusa high output stator
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »
nice to know. keepin this link in the fav's file.
thanks

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 12:25:13 PM »
Good stuff....

Dave
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline Greg

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 03:24:40 PM »
Cool, Thanks for the tip :thumb:
Let's Roll!!

Offline DarkFalcon

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
Interesting stuff.........thanks SJJ.

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 05:07:11 PM »
Good info as usual/

Has anyone measured the load of their stocker with a boatload of accessories?

lamda, standalone controller, compressor, etc etc etc/ even heated accessories~

Wondering what a totally loaded bike (+ stuff above) pulls/

Santo is that a totally stock bike with no accessories?

Our systems are typical charging systems that disscharge access power by heat sink (reg/rec) method? right?

Ron
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline MOVERIGHT!

• Rider
  • The Key to Life is to die young, at a very old age
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 05:21:54 PM »
SJJBusa what does that mod run? $
A 200+ MPH fear isn't Ignored, It just hasn't caught up yet!

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 05:23:43 PM »
PARTNUM PART RETAILCOST
20-315
 Rebuilt Stator
 $125.00

60-315
 Rebuilt Starter Motor
 $175.00

10-515
 Universal Style Rectifier-Regulators
 $120.00

These are the regular prices....

Offline MOVERIGHT!

• Rider
  • The Key to Life is to die young, at a very old age
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 05:41:34 PM »
Thanks gnd111
A 200+ MPH fear isn't Ignored, It just hasn't caught up yet!

Offline SJJBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 09:41:12 PM »
Ron,

The runs were made on a totally stock busa. We applied a variable electrical load to get the voltage to drop to the low end of the range while still maintaining 5000RPM, then took our reading.

MOVERIGHT!, My understanding from Rick, is that the pricing for this service will be $150.00

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 05:15:41 PM »
Kewl Santo thanks.

$150.oo is not a bad price for a 25 % improvement over the factory stator @ $125.oo.

"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline ICEMANN

• Mad Post Whore
  • How ya doin?
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 12:53:35 PM »
Sorry Im an idiot.

I called and spoke to Rick, great guy.  I lack alot of knowledge in this area so I asked too many questions.

Rick offered:

The zx12 reg/rec is one of the few that he knows of for sure that can handle the larger capacity stator.  If your going to use the busa OEM one then he suggested moving it to the front or do something about the current heat sink setup to get more life out of it.

He offered that he will have a complete working tested "kit" of high output stator, reg/rec for direct replacement by this spring.

Would a 14Y battery and a higher output stator/reg/rec combo solve all of those starting issues, and for people like me with too much gadget crap on their bike handle the loads much better?

I currently just have a stock oem battery but it doesnt last the years it should.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:21:51 PM by ICEMANN »

jd

Offline Commuta_Busa

• Post Master
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 07:49:02 AM »
so what he's saying is that if you use his H.O. stator with the oem BUSA reg/rect that it prone to overheating?  :shock: :(

Rick offered:

The zx12 reg/rec is one of the few that he knows of for sure that can handle the larger capacity stator.  If your going to use the busa OEM one then he suggested moving it to the front or do something about the current heat sink setup to get more life out of it.

He offered that he will have a complete working tested "kit" of high output stator, reg/rec for direct replacement by this spring.
JE, TTS, Carpenter, Yoshimura, Akrapovich, TMH, BDE, APE, FBG, Lee Shierts, Schnitz, Orient Express, Stedman, Street n Track, Tsubaki, Kickstand Racing, Harris, AP Racing, Pro Machining, Spencer Cycles, HEL, NOS, NLR, Big CC Racing, Earl's, Pro-Bolt

Offline Gixxer1300r

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »
so what he's saying is that if you use his H.O. stator with the oem BUSA reg/rect that it prone to overheating?  :shock: :(

Rick offered:

YES

Offline Bonedust

• Mad Post Whore
  • boost or bust
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »

Rick offered:

well you are passing 25% more power thru it than it was ever designed to see....so its presumable that will create heat. however, there should be an easy swap to a different reg to fix the problem.

The Poison Idea- TMH T61 Ultra kit (500+ hp), 3-deg frame rake, BST wheels, Speigler 8-pot calipers and masters, Mac 0-6 arm, full CF body work.

Offline ICEMANN

• Mad Post Whore
  • How ya doin?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 04:28:01 PM »
yep basically thats what he was saying.  If you use a stock oem regulator/rectifier with his H.O stator it will cause heat problems.  He offered that if you dont get his klit that the zx reg/rec can handle it as is from what he found.  I was asking would that solve alot of battery life issues if one had a yusa 14y battery and the H.O stator with alot of gadget stuff, would that help keep the charging better?

JD

jd

Offline Gixxer1300r

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 09:17:22 PM »
Iceman, well one thing we do know it will charge your battery 25% faster, ever consider a simple isolator and dual battery setup? Have one battery on the charging system to run your toys, and a seperate one isolated from the other that is being charged by the charging system to start the bike. works in cars well and most modern isolaters are pretty small.

Offline PhantomBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 12:14:33 AM »
Im the proud owner of this H.O. stator.  I have yet to install it, but it will be going in the bike this week.  WIll I have heating issues with my regulator?

Offline ZXLNT

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 02:13:38 AM »
The stator can produce that extra 25 percent power, BUT, it only does that when called upon right??   Just because it CAN produce the power doesn't mean it produces it all the time.  So just because the stator produces more power doesn't mean the reg/rectfier is passing all that extra current all time right.    It only passes as much current as is called upon.   Right..????
1270cc   182 horsepower

Offline Gixxer1300r

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 08:01:44 AM »
from the sounds of this post I would say yes, but it sounds like a ZX12 regulator can be adapted to work.

I was just wondering if anyone tried mounting the stock regulator to a large alum. bracket, using heat sink compund where the regulator and bracket meet? maybe this would along with mounting the regulator in a place where it can get more cool air directed to it may keep it from burning up.

In Laymens terms: it's not the extra amperage that causes the regulator to go bad, it's the increased heat under load (from the extra amperage)that causes it to break down.

Offline busaboi

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 08:29:11 AM »
i currently have mines mounted above the swing arm exact location that it came stock on my  05 gsxr 1000 plenty of cool air there an the wires reach just find im thinking of sending mines in to him due to the fact i run alot of electroncis  speakers amp, lights an soon to be my turbo gagetry