Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Ancra Tie Downs  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
Ancra Tie Downs
« on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »
I just bought two new sets here  to replace the old off-brand tie-downs I have had for decades.  Also got a new Canyon Dancer from Schnitz.

One question and one question only................since I have a single rail open trailer, If I get caught in a "frog strangler" of a rainstorm while driving down to Chattanooga (350 miles) with my bike on the OPEN trailer, will the rain/water cause those straps to lose tension? 
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: Ancra Tie Downs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 09:57:11 PM »
That's a pretty specific question Ghost.  Ancra tie downs, in a frog strangler on your bike on your trailer...

All I can say is that using standard 1" nylon tie downs in the rain but not quite a frog strangler, at freeway speeds including crossing Donner Pass, mine didn't loosen up tied to a Ducati 999.  The trip was 1,100 miles and it rained about half of that.  I always sit or lean over onto the bike as I tighten the straps.  It compresses the suspension a bit so it can handle the ups and downs of potholes and bad roads without loosening the straps.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline Over200

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:47 AM »
You coming to Chatt town for some seat time? Some awesome routes to run. :tu:
How much for the whole pie...2..3..4..5?

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Yes,
           My son has a home there and works for Coker Tire.  He has 4 bikes and rides the Dragon at least twice or more a month in season.  Zero chicken stripes on his tires on that Triumph Speed Triple...........kid can ride.  He has been down once, on his Suzuki SV 650 but he was not hurt and bike only had cosmetic damage.  He has never been down on the Trumpet.  It is a fine bike for the Dragon - 675 ccs - 420 lbs wet and a loooooong 2nd gear good to about 90 indicated. 

The reason I brought this thread up was because I will be towing the Busa to Chattanooga to ride with him and I have to go over the mountains and it rains a lot up in those hills.

Davey

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline turbo051k

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
If they are ratchet-straps the no they will not some loose,if they are the conventional cheaper non-ratchet then yeah,you should check&re-check every couple hundred miles or so if you're in the rain. Couple of bikes came loose and almost went off the side of an open trailer my buddy was using going from NY to Daytona a few years back.
'97 DS-80
'82 GS 1100E
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR-1000
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR-1000
'15 John Deere L-140
'06 18" Stihl Farm Boss
'07 Echo leaf blower
'09 Echo weed wacker
'15 Polaris Sportsman 570

Offline Over200

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 06:49:56 PM »
Ah works for ole Corky! give a shout when your in town maybe can meet up downtown so I can check out that fine machine! I think your fine with the trailer and tie downs but I just couldn't handle my bike getting covered with road grime from the rain in every nook and cranny on an open trailer. I prefer the back of my truck over an open trailer....I mean rock chips etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:54:27 PM by Over200 »

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »
They are not ratchet, they are Ancra's latest pull-downs.  I know I can get that front suspension highly compressed cuz my boys at the local Harley shop here have already said they would help me.  We can also do the same with the rear suspension/shock.  They will leave here very tight, that I can assure you.

Maybe it won't even rain........last time I was down there I did not see a drop until I got to my son's house...............30 minutes after I unloaded the car, we had a true "frog-strangler"..............Chattanooga kind of sits in a bowl of mountains all around the city and those mountains squeeze a lot of water out of the clouds.  Usually lasts about 30 minutes and then just dissipates.

If it rains on the way down I will just find a pull-off and check everything.  That would be the smart move.  Perhaps one day, someone with a very inventive brain will come up with a set of tie downs that will not stretch...........something made out of woven stainless steel....hook one end to the Canyon dancer and the other to the trailer.  Steel does not stretch in Agua/water.  :wink:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:21 PM »
Ah works for ole Corky!😎 give a shout when your in town maybe can meet up downtown so I can check out that fine machine!

We can all go to Champys and get the bestest fried chicken on the planet!!!!!!  Yes, he works for Corky.  Have you ever seen his museum, he has it all.
An entire wall of stacked motorcycles going back to the first decade of the 1900s.  A beautiful 1966 XKE and a ton of other stuff.  Even a 1960 Harley "45" meter maid bike.  He is a trip. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:22:49 PM by Ghost-Geezer »

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Over200

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 08:48:19 PM »
Ah works for ole Corky!😎 give a shout when your in town maybe can meet up downtown so I can check out that fine machine!

We can all go to Champys and get the bestest fried chicken on the planet!!!!!!  Yes, he works for Corky.  Have you ever seen his museum, he has it all.
An entire wall of stacked motorcycles going back to the first decade of the 1900s.  A beautiful 1966 XKE and a ton of other stuff.  Even a 1960 Harley "45" meter maid bike.  He is a trip.

Oh yeah I know couple,people that work there and have been through the museum a couple times... It's some collection! Champys is the bomb. Sounds good!😎 :tu:

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
My son works on the 2nd floor in the sales department......his name is Dylan and he rides a Triumph Street Triple 675 cc and a Suzuki SV 650 V-Twin.
Sometimes he rides his DRZ 400 to work as it is both an on/off road bike.  His 4th bike is a little Honda 90 knock-off for just funnin' around in the neighborhood.  He is 25, 6 ft 2 in and weighs in at 210.  Mostly muscle and great riding skills.  I raised him on motorcycles from the time he was 3.
He is addicted now and that is just about all he thinks about - riding the Dragon.

"Step UP or Step Aside"