Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Steering Head Bearings  (Read 7131 times)

Offline bidwell

• Rider
Steering Head Bearings
« on: November 09, 2002, 07:25:00 AM »
After adjusting the stearing head bearings about a month ago, they were loose again when I checked them last night.  So I tightened it more, the nut is pretty tight but there is still some play.  Is this indicative of worn out bearings?  The steering feels smooth with no flat spot straight ahead.  In 14000 mi I don't think I did 20 wheelies with no real hard landings so that shouldn't be it.  Has anyone else had to replace them, and has anyone used tapered rollers instead?  Thanks!

bidwell
Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does.

Offline andersson turbo

• Rider
Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 05:52:00 AM »
Yep     koyo 32006jr fits
Andersson/turbosystems

Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 10:25:00 AM »
Where can you order those bearings from???

Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 11:06:00 PM »
That is a indication of bearing failure that's for sure. If your nuts are not backing off, check the bearing. You need to get the front off the ground to really feel the bearings.

Offline andersson turbo

• Rider
Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 12:09:00 PM »
In europe It's a standard component and can be bougt in every  hardwear store
Andersson/turbosystems

Offline bidwell

• Rider
Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 12:28:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by SuperKaos:
That is a indication of bearing failure that's for sure. If your nuts are not backing off, check the bearing. You need to get the front off the ground to really feel the bearings.

I doubt they're backing off, the lock nut was tight, plus the triple clamp was snug on top of it.  I checked them with a jack under the engine, the movement was quite obvious.  I cannot understand WTF they use ball bearings, I need to get rollers in there.  Looks like one more winter project.

Offline gixerman

• Rider
Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 03:16:00 PM »
I just started getting a little wobble out of my gixxer600.  I need to tighten mine up.  Do you need to use a special tool.  Like a spanner wrench.  On my old dirt bike I used to use a hammer and screw driver.  How do you know if the bearings are going bad.  
If you see me in your mirror move out of my way.

Offline bidwell

• Rider
Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2002, 04:08:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by gixerman:
I just started getting a little wobble out of my gixxer600.  I need to tighten mine up.  Do you need to use a special tool.  Like a spanner wrench.  On my old dirt bike I used to use a hammer and screw driver.  How do you know if the bearings are going bad.  

The "special" tool is 170 friggen dollars, in other words bring it to the dealer.  I don't know if thery're going bad, but it seems like it since I have it pretty tight and there's still a small amount of play.  I did the same as you and used a hammer and punch.

Offline gixerman

• Rider
Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2002, 10:36:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bidwell:
quote:
Originally posted by gixerman:

The "special" tool is 170 friggen dollars, in other words bring it to the dealer.  I don't know if thery're going bad, but it seems like it since I have it pretty tight and there's still a small amount of play.  I did the same as you and used a hammer and punch.
Isn't everything expensive for any sport bike.  A damn pair of sliders is $50-$60 bucks.  Could make my own for a third of the cost.  I just priced front brake rotors for my 600 and there $204 bucks each.    
If you see me in your mirror move out of my way.

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
Steering Head Bearings
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 11:40:00 PM »
Yep, Sportbikes=Luxury/toys, NOT a necessity in the world's eyes..

Therefore, sportbikes=extreme revenue sources, leading to constant money spending, Welcome to Sportbiking, My name is Ron I am a Sportbikaholic..I am broke  
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...